Thread: Ebay hosts

Ebay hosts

Hello I have been looking for some good hosting at a fairly low price but I need it to be very stable.

I come across the following sellers on ebay that seem to be offering stupid prices.

Check them out:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What do you think of these?

Thanks!

You might want to do a search or read some of the forum before going this way. Not too much positive has been said about buying hosting on eBay.

Aside from the general caution against buying hosting on eBay, both of these are offering the impossible. When was the last time you bought an unlimited hard drive? At some point, there has to be a limit and what usually happens is that you get told you are using too much of the server's resources and get shut down.

Then comes the issue of price. Do you really think that a legitimate company can afford to sell unlimited everything for around 3 GBP a YEAR?? Heck, even if you were paying that per MONTH, you wouldn't get unlimited everything from any legitimate hosting company.

Think about what I have said here and do some research before diving into that particular pool.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

To be honest I'd go with your gut feeling.. Most hosts that offer unlimited bandwidth/space will end up terminating your account if you using too many resources or limit what you can host with them.

Personally I'd stick with a regular hosting plan, that puts a limit on bandwith/space it may look like you are getting less but it'll save you from having to change hosts a month or so down the line.

As uneedawebsit said, its best to research any host before parting with you money.

IT WAY TAKE UPTO 8 DAYS TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT
    Damn, and I thought I was fast

Personally I wouldn't go with an ebay host....probably just running of a reseller for a quick buck.
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

8 day to setup, wow that is the longest i've ever seen.

I just wonder how many days it takes support to reply!!

unlimited space and bandwidth

I would like to find an unlimited space hard drive
    On The Web: http://www.programmingessentials.net
    3GB/40GB Reseller Accounts:
    http://resellers.programmingessentials.net

I come across the following sellers on ebay that seem to be offering stupid prices.
    Stupid prices...
    Lookup your IP: snoopmyip.com
    Proxy Guide: proxyspot.com

Hi theplastickid

The cheapest host is not always the best. like guys here and on other forums continue to explain that it's better to choose hosting with limits and good support.
    Defiantly wouldn't go with ebay hosts.
    Rotmax - Advanced Hosting Solutions
    | Providing premium hosting since 2001.
    | http://www.rotmax.com
    | Follow us on Facebook: Rotmax-Facebook

http://www.nzukwebhosting.co.uk/

How can you trust a hosting site like that? No support page or anything.

Heh... The infamous Ebay website hosting auctions... Stay away - They're about as reliable as a one wheeled bicycle.

The prices may seem stupid but this is how these kind of people work. They trick you into believing the hosting is cheap and reliable but when they don't give you the hosting you feel that "What is it to only lose a few dollars/pounds?". The problem is that probably 20 people have fallen for the same scheme meaning alot of money has been made.
    Stephen James - [email protected]
    http://www.solidus-services.com
    - Quality, Reliable and Affordable Hosting.

i had actually thought about offering some hosting on ebay, though im not gonna do anything ridiculous like unlimited or any outragous packages, thats just silly.

Everything unlimited: disk space, bandwith, POP3 accoints, MySQL...
    Too good to be true. I'd stay away from such "special offers". Ever heard any reliable host (GoDaddy, Total Choce, Site5, Midphase etc) selling their packages on Ebay? I didn't.
    It reminds me the early days of the market economy in my country (Lithuania) when banks offered as much as 200% annually and many private firms offered to invest money into business...90% of them bancrupted.
    In other words - stay away...

Originally posted by Essentials

What are you talking about!? I found one in my back garden the other night! Thought it was rather lucky. Keep an eye out!
    Matt Midgley
    ----------------
    http://matt.midgley.name

It's called a black hole drive.
    Lookup your IP: snoopmyip.com
    Proxy Guide: proxyspot.com

Originally posted by SJames
    Heh... The infamous Ebay website hosting auctions... Stay away - They're about as reliable as a one wheeled bicycle.

Unicycles rock, obviously you haven't had the luxury of riding one!

//I have nothing beneficial to contribute to this thread - however I do personally think theres nothing wrong with selling hosting on ebay (we've never done it) - its just another method/location to market your product.

That said it appears that the majority that do sell on there are kiddies and ruin it for the rest of us.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by HP-David
    Unicycles rock, obviously you haven't had the luxury of riding one!

//I have nothing beneficial to contribute to this thread - however I do personally think theres nothing wrong with selling hosting on ebay (we've never done it) - its just another method/location to market your product.

That said it appears that the majority that do sell on there are kiddies and ruin it for the rest of us.
    Oh I've ridden a unicycle. Haven't had the pleasure of riding a bicycle with one wheel though.
    Stephen James - [email protected]
    http://www.solidus-services.com
    - Quality, Reliable and Affordable Hosting.

Originally posted by Essentials

You can get one, but it costs in infinite amount of money.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

As many have said, you get what you pay for, and, if it looks to good to be true, then it likely is!

Be cautious.

- HN Mike
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

not unlimited but i have heard that they can fit a terabyte into a cm cubed, using lasers, no idea how it works, but its still being tested in labs

Never...

Never go with an eBay host, I run a hosting company and purchased a couple hosting packages off eBay hosts (3 or 4) and all of the companies, within a couple months, either:

- Disappeared
    - Had excessive amounts of downtime
    - Had billing issues
    - Lied about allotted space / bandwidth
    - Terminated the site due to large amounts of bandwidth usage (I would setup a site and do one of those eBay '100,000 visitors to your site')

Good luck if you go with an eBay host. I used to sell hosting on eBay, but the quality of other eBay hosts got so POOR, that it wasnt worth trying to sell on there anymore because people know not to buy from eBay hosts.

Not all host on eBay are bad. You really need to look into it further before saying alot of bad things about them. And most people saying bad things about these host's, are host's themselves.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

When I think of web hosting services I think to myself - Ebay!

I'm shocked and dismayed that their would be disreputable hosts on Ebay.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

lol, well have you seen the unlimited space resellers? Those crack me up...

numb_09

NUMB_09, Im not bashing them, I was simply recommending they never go with an eBay host, and I stated I tried out SEVERAL eBay hosts, and none turned out to be reputable, if you were in my position and had tried several eBay hosts and none were reputable, you would still advise them to try eBay? In my opinion, thats bad judgement. Im not just trying to bash eBay hosts.

DEVILDOG

Also, DevilDog, I posted in another forum about websites with web hosting reviews. Are your website reviews (the URL in your signature) real, or did you find them somewhere else, or are you just taking quotes off of websites? I am not trying to bash you and your review site, but I am curious if you have tried all of these web hosting providers yourself because I dont see any anonymous reviews or reviews from other people, only a 'rundown' of all of the hosts you have listed, which leads me to believe that your site is not reputable.

Originally posted by numb_09
    Not all host on eBay are bad. You really need to look into it further before saying alot of bad things about them. And most people saying bad things about these host's, are host's themselves.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Is that not your Ebay Add? Advertising yourself?

I have never had a desire to buy hosting from Ebay, Im sure there may be good hosts on ebay, But the majority i looked through looked like fly by nighters.

Re: DEVILDOG

Originally posted by tadevelopers
    Also, DevilDog, I posted in another forum about websites with web hosting reviews. Are your website reviews (the URL in your signature) real, or did you find them somewhere else, or are you just taking quotes off of websites? I am not trying to bash you and your review site, but I am curious if you have tried all of these web hosting providers yourself because I dont see any anonymous reviews or reviews from other people, only a 'rundown' of all of the hosts you have listed, which leads me to believe that your site is not reputable.
    My site does much more than reviews and is a hobby if you look at my profile. I provide a great deal of information about information technology and website promotion and help Churches get their sites online.

If you want a serious answer, you can look at one of my several hundred posts on these forums where my views are expressed very clearly. I have tried several of the hosts but I state very clearly on my site and elsewhere why I find "anonymous" reviews and other customer testimonials, in many cases, to be loaded and useless.

I'm not certain why you felt the need for a personal attack on my integrity but so be it. Could my reviews stand improvement? Yes but I use the information I can glean from many sources and improve it as I have the time. My premium grade web hosting discussion and other rating criteria are clearly spelled out. Believe what you want about my site but I benefit many people and distill information from many sources. My participation on these forums is largely due to an effort to learn what people think about the hosts I review, learn about new ones, add them as I have time, and make modifications to information as I learn good or bad things about them.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Personal Attack???

There was no personal attack, I wanted to know if your site was like others where they just post good things because they feel like it and want to make money off of advertising, or if you actually have tested the sites, no need to get defensive, it was just a question.