* OK, I need suggestions... Coz If I dont fix my companies system I might go to prison.

Hello,

I just had a talk with my lawyer concerning some of my clients hosting "phissing" sites or impersonating other SME companies from other countries.... there all shut down now, and I did my best to cooperate with the authorities...

Our company uses the "industrial" age type of transactions... "Bank payments" in other words, they sign up through an application form (which they can just make it up) and then pay directly thru bank by cash.... Leaving behind no traces whatsoever to find them....

Eventhough I do my best to filter and watch out for fraudsters... its really impossible for me to keep track of everything... im not God... and according to my lawyer, I can be sued for negligence and be fined, or worst sent to prison....

Is web hosting business really a feasible business?

Also, What can I possible do to protect myself from these?

Scout

Just my opinion here but, you might want to get a second opinion from legal counsel that knows the business and laws involved.

that's f'cking ********! what if a car rental company got sued because some guy rent and car and run over people? if that's the case, there will be no service industry.

That is crazy, protect yourself with your TOS, you cant be everywhere at once huh!
    Regards

I think that you need a new lawyer, that actually knows the law.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

If you lose your job you can always write for FARK, great headline
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Im fine with loosing my job... im worried about possible fines and imprisonments....

I am already working on it... but I cant possibly think of a system that can literally" identify every single fraud.... its just impossible... grrr....

Scout... scout.. scout
    It could be worse.

http://svt.rude.se/
    dotGig

Er... I dont understand french... is it french? Anyways, wat does the report say?

I am not sure actually, maybe someone can translate. The only part I got was "FART"
    dotGig

hmm... did she farted... ?

Anyways, thanks for cheering me up... I chuckled at that.... hehe

You're welcome =)
    dotGig

ey samuel, youve been in this biz since 1999, any problems on your end with regards to phissing, and the likes?

How did you handle it? especially those accounts with no leads to whearabouts, since all there contact info are fakes...

The best way to handle it is to respond quickly, communicate your willingness to rectify the situation, and co-miserate with the other parties involved.
    dotGig

I would probably advise you NOT to listen to your lawyer. If you have removed all those accounts who are using them agaisnt your tos (do you even have one?) then you will be fine.

On the manual signup, make sure they agree to some form of tos documents. Otherwise, perhaps consider moving to a better system of signup? (online etc)..

Hope it works out, regards.

Philippines

Did anyone notice that the original poster is from the Philippines? It's quite possible that his local lawyer has a better grasp, if somewhat paranoid, on the legal situation in that country, as compared to posters here who are likely from the US or Europe.

As a US company, the rule of thumb would be reasonable efforts and cooperation with authorities. In another country, I have no idea.

Kevin

Sigma, how long you been a community guide?, you've added nothing to the thread other than "I have no idea" after admonishing us by stating what is obvious, I at least pointed out a very clear fart.
    dotGig

Personally, I believe sigma's post in this thread was very helpful. Perhaps someone in the Phillipines will be able to loan their own advice to Scout, based on the laws of their country. From the posts in this thread, it doesn't seem as though anyone had realized Scout's location other than sigma. I think we should thank sigma for the information, rather than choose to bash him. He was obviously promoted to the status of Community Guide because he showed a true sense of helpfulness and enjoyment in being a WHT member. Thank You, sigma.
    John Morris
    Warp-Factor Technologies - Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    E-Mail: john[AT]warp-factor.net AIM: iiwebwizardii

ye... I am from the Philippines... sorry I didnt add that to my post.

Also, the rules here are more or less the same (I think)... In fact, I think laws from the US and Europe are far more strict and faster in process...

Besides, the people that would probably sue me are from outside the country, so I am really not sure how will they approach this... local authorities? or thru the international law...

Either way, im doing my best to cooperate, so I hope I wont get into to any trouble...

Thanks Thanks everyone for your helpful insights...

Scout

Oh yes, regarding contracts... how do you receive the info with regards to a client agreeing to a terms and condition?

Do you receive it like Terms = Yes... thats it? or did you setup the formmail to be more precise.. like IP checking etc... ?

Just curious....

Originally posted by Samuel
    Sigma, how long you been a community guide?, you've added nothing to the thread other than "I have no idea" after admonishing us by stating what is obvious, I at least pointed out a very clear fart.
    Sigma is right nobody mentioned he was in the Philippines, his post is entirely relevant to the threads subject.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Originally posted by Samuel
    Scout... scout.. scout
    It could be worse.

http://svt.rude.se/
    I get "This site has been suspended." when I try to access that site.
    BlackICE Internet Services Ltd
    44 (0) 207 096 1619
    http://www.blackicehosting.com
    Dedicated, Colocation, Shared and Reseller Hosting

As long as you got rid of the site as soon as you found out about it then you did everything you could. You can't help that some hackers are going to try and use your service. I'm speaking as an American however, I don't know how things work in other countries.

Originally posted by blackicehosting
    I get "This site has been suspended." when I try to access that site.
    http://svt.se/content/1/c6/17/76/52/..._fredag_hi.ram

seek to 10:00
    dotGig