Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think our site may have been ripped...

Our site - www.bti-hosting.co.uk

Potentially ripped site - http://sentanu.com/sp/

Hmm, what can I say....there is a few similarities between the 2 sites. The first thing is the title, same as mine. Then there is the fact that BTi is referenced all over every page. The design looks pretty similar too....

Oh, links all come my way, they use the same anti spam site as me(which I personally own) and the java menu is layout the same...

But it cant be a rip can it, they have a different copyright!

The little bar stewards even stole my payment system!

www.bti-hosting.co.uk/pay/

http://sentanu.com/sp/pay/

What is this world coming to?
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

With out a doubt it is a pure rip of.

In regards to the payment system:

http://sentanu.com/sp/pay/

They forgot to change tht title of the page, the name, etc. Pure rip!

There is an email on the way to their upstream as we speak. Lets see how this one falls eh

Looks like you caught someone in the preliminary stages of ripping your site.. Unless they want everyone to go to BTI hosting.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- dburling@ts-host.com -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

wow, they made it nasty too. the lines in the top graphic don't even match up!! i love the origional layout, so clean and bright and smart looking.

caught in the act!!

I do not now if its actually a template or not..

looks like DHTML menu that you got up was from SOT*****..

Did you make the site or was it a template or someone else made it?

peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

It's not just the template. The wording is the same. The other "company" hasn't even finished changing the company name in the paragraphs. BTi is everywhere on both sites.
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!

This would most definitely be considered a rip if they were to use this to serve their own commercial interests. However, given that all the links redirect to your site and no clear motives of commercial interest are yet apparent, I don't think you should pursue this any further until you find out for sure that they are infringing upon your intellectual copyright. I can legally mirror almost any site all and as much as I want, as long as I mirror it exactly and don't misrepresent or change anything, but perhaps you might interpret it as "ripping" your site.

The very definition of rip mandates that it would not be considered ripping if it were not for one's own interests. As such, I don't believe you have very many legal avenues on which to pursue your case as yet.

Look at both the sites Sniper. They're in the process of actually "ripping" the site.

Philipf - how did you catch them??

Traceroute shows sentanu.com at 218.221.72.143 registered with JPNIC to so-net.ne.jp

Here is the whois-listed contact info on sentanu.com
    Registrant:
    Sentanu
    Sentanu
    Sentanu sentanu@sentanu.com
    Sentanu
    Sentanu
    Sentanu
    --,Sentanu
    FI
    Tel. +111.111111
    Fax. +111.111111

Their registrar is:
    Gadjahmada Web Solution
    support@gadjahmada.com
    Wakatakeso 102
    Sakawa 1-14-16
    Sakura ku
    Saitama
    Saitama,3380823
    Indonesia
    Tel. +81.488589006
    Fax. +81.488589006

I think you might want ICANN to have a word with Gadjahmada.

SniperDevil. On one of the pages they changed the copyright to appear as if the site belonged to them

The site is 100% unique and it most definatly not a template. The menu was also created for the site and is javascript, not DHTML.

Originally posted by Staff.ie
    Philipf - how did you catch them??
    I checked awStats and saw alot of click throughs from this site, so I followed the links and it took me there.

It is also far from mirrored exactly, they've even cleaned the BTi-Hosting from the top left image on some of the pages.

Arrow

Originally posted by Philipf

I checked awStats and saw alot of click throughs from this site, so I followed the links and it took me there.

Hay, I would be happy if someone does that to me..

I wont even mind, ten of them... not at all...

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Well, Im in the middle of a live chat with the host. Trying to get me to wait 3 days for them to remove it.

My solicitor knows of the situation and is ready to fire off a C&D letter.

Heres the chat now its finished.

Let me clarify, I have nothing against the host, nor do I disrespect them in any way, shape or form. I understand this is not their fault:

03:40 Jayan: hi
    03:40 Philip: Hi, sorry I couldn't get through to Technical support, but believe a client of yours is hosting an illegal copy of my web design
    03:40 Philip: My site is www.bti-hosting.co.uk
    03:41 Philip: sentanu.com/sp/ is the rip of our design
    03:41 Jayan: where ? http://gadjahmada.com?
    03:42 Philip: We were led to you via whois, which said the host of the site in question was you
    03:42 Philip: sentanu.com/sp/pay/ is also belonging to us
    03:43 Jayan: ok i will check and remove
    03:43 Philip: Thanks alot
    03:44 Jayan: because many people put free host in sentanu.com
    03:44 Philip: No worries, Im not blaming you, I just wanted to sort it
    03:46 Jayan: Let me evaluate for 3 days and ask to the people, because i cannt suddently remove without confirmation
    03:47 Jayan: i hope you understand our procedure
    03:47 Philip: There is plenty of confirmation, I own the site, the design and even have the PSDs. The site even links back to my site still.
    03:48 Philip: I understand the procedure, But I will allow 12 hours before I take this further up the chain, to your provider
    03:48 Jayan: ok

Come on, You cannot expect a provider to pull a site within 12 hours based on the fact that you say it's a rip. They have to be given proper time to notify their customer.

I agree the site is a rip but don't get all emotional on us. Let them have the 72 hours they want before you start getting all lawyered up.

I think 12 hours is a fair amount of time.

Yeah. its a Rip... Hope all ends up good man
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Originally posted by keepr
    Come on, You cannot expect a provider to pull a site within 12 hours based on the fact that you say it's a rip. They have to be given proper time to notify their customer.

I agree the site is a rip but don't get all emotional on us. Let them have the 72 hours they want before you start getting all lawyered up.
    12 hours is ample time. As you will see, I have said I have the PSDs etc. And Im not getting emotional, if you look at the thread you will see I've been extremely calm about the situation, If I was really mad I would have fired off the C&D straight away, thats what my solicitor is for.

He was lucky to get 12 hours, the customer does not need proper notification, he knows he skanked my site.

If one of your customers was spamming, would you send them an email telling them to stop? Hell no, you'd pull the plug straight away.

What has the host/provider/anyone got to do with this issue?

I'd love if someone complained about my website, my host cut me off, and I sued them for big cash.

If anyone cuts them off without going to court, it's highly unprofessional.

Potentially ripped site - http://sentanu.com/sp/

Does not load for me?

Spamming is a whole differant category.

Your asking the host to become judge jury and executioner.

There are 2 sides to every story both sides need to be told.

If your website was turned off because someone claimed that you ripped their site and you host shut you down without getting your side of the story you would be pretty upset with them.

We all know it's a RIP but i'm saying the host needs aple time to speak with their client.
    Last edited by Dave W; 05-27-2005 at 11:14 PM.

Originally posted by keepr
    Spamming is a whole differant category.

Your asking the host to become judge jury and executioner.

There are 2 sides to every story both sides need to be told.

If your website was turned off because someone claimed that you ripped their site and you host shut you down without getting your side of the story you would be pretty upset with them.

We all know it's a RIP but i'm saying the host needs aple time to speak with their client.
    Yes, I see what you mean, but when almost all the links still link back to me, and I own the domain(they just need to look at the whois) and I even offered to send them some of the PSDs. Just try the domain checker at the top, it takes you straight to my site.

Staff.ie. The host has everything to do with it, they are liable since it is on their servers. What the other site was doing was illegal, they were breaching copyright.

And about sueing the companys, read the TOS, almost all have something similar to:

XXXXX.co.uk reserves the right to suspend or cancel a customer's access to any or all services provided by XXXXX.co.uk when XXXXX.co.uk decides that the account has been inappropriately used or otherwise.

And:

XXXXX.co.uk reserves the right at its sole discretion to refuse or cancel service. Violation of any of XXXXX.co.uk's Rules and Regulations could result in a warning, suspension, or possible account termination. Accounts terminated due to policy violations will not be refunded.

yeah but if your customer centric you dont go shutting off customer websites all willy nilly.

If a copyright infringement has been made, or your TOS has been in any way breached, you DO shut them off, otherwise it could be you at court and not them.

Act first, ask questions later is ALWAYS the way to go when it comes to things like this, I'm sure if the owner of the account turned out to be reputable they'd fully understand your actions and accept an apology, and a service credit for the downtime.
    Wordpress Hosting UK - Hosting With Wordpress Pre-Installed!
    UK Technology Blog - Tech news and reviews.

What makes his website copyrighted?

The fact that he wrote copyright at the bottom???

Is that really legally binding? Not from what I have heard.

I am not going to shut down any of my customers sites for copyright infringement unless there is legal paper trail.

You have made a copyright infringement claim. That claim to be proven for it to hold any ground. Honestly it scares that hell out of me that a webhost does not understand this. But then again maybe the laws are different in your neck of the woods, where I come from people are innocent until proven guilty which means you have to prove their guilt via legal means not hearsay.

This is all just my opinion and dont take it to heart I am just expressing my views

btw you do have a rather nice website.
    Last edited by Dave W; 05-28-2005 at 02:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast