Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ID-Required on Signup

Hey...

Do you think it would be too much to ask for a driver's license # or some form of state ID number on a dedicated server order form?

(Still trying to work out something for customers outside of the us....)

The number would be used to verify information with:
    http://safespy.net/detective.htm

And to have on file should an account be written off to collections...

What do you think?
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

I'm not a big fan of this but it seems to have become pretty common.

I think it is probably a good idea. I assume this company is trying to qualify good customers. They must have some loss prevention issues they are trying to handle.

But, again, this is a guy who would think giving prospective clients an IQ test might not be a bad idea either
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

I'm trying to figure out what type of ID would work for individuals out of the US....We're going to use Driver's License/State ID/Military ID for the usa, but no clue what the norm is outside of the country.

Do you think such a requirement on an orderform would deter prospective clients?

I think it is a bad idea ...

With all the identity theft that is going on right now, people shouldn't even be giving that stuff out (drivers lic, etc).

Recently i was asked to fax or send an image of my drivers license to a company ... at that point, they would have my pic, and signature too ... i said no ... and they still filled the order

Don't forget that once that info is on file at a company, it can be stolen by one of their employees (now ex-employees) or hacked from their system. Once the information gets out (image of drivers license with signature and picture), there is no getting it back.

I understand the need to protect yourself, but there must be another way ... I know I would not give that information out as a potential customer.

What makes a dedicated server provider different from a cell phone provider? I certainly know verizon has all my information on file and any lack of payment on my end is going straight to collections, and ultimately my credit.

I'm trying to find some sort of mutual medium to protect us as well as the customer (from inflated pricing due to fraud, deadbeat customers). I certainly wouldn't ask for a social security #. I figure an ID such as a drivers license is made just for that purpose. To identify people.

Originally posted by nS-Steven
    What makes a dedicated server provider different from a cell phone provider? I certainly know verizon has all my information on file and any lack of payment on my end is going straight to collections, and ultimately my credit.
    I see your point but the difference is that the dedicated server industry has more than the average amount of fly by night and shady operations than more traditional industries like the phone and/or cable industries.

Yes ... I know what you mean ... because ultimately we all pay for the fraud.

Too bad banks/card companies didn't offer a telephone confirmation service or something like that ... maybe they could charge a small fee to call their customer (the card holder) and confirm they made the order. Since the credit card companies would most definitely have the real customer info/phone number, they could easily confirm that it was the real person.

I wouldn't mind if my credit card company called me to confirm that i just ordered another dedicated server ... actually, i would like that ...

As far as identity theft...that would be a big violation of privacy policy, and would definately involve law enforcement agencies...I'm sure any reputable company would screen employees before allowing access to such information...

If not a drivers license? What would you recommend?

I was trying to think of something that could be submitted electronically and not required to be faxed in.

Originally posted by tkam
    I see your point but the difference is that the dedicated server industry has more than the average amount of fly by night and shady operations than more traditional industries like the phone and/or cable industries.
    Yeah, the US Secret Service contacted us about a website posing as an online bank within the last 10 minutes
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by PSFServers
    Yeah, the US Secret Service contacted us about a website posing as an online bank within the last 10 minutes
    That is blatant fraud. What could someone possibly do with your Drivers License ID number. If such a risk of identity theft was a problem, no one would use their CC #'s on the forms. Employees (in billing) all have access to that no?

Once it becomes common practice to give out drivers license numbers, scammers will just get the cc number and drivers license and you will be no more protected than you are now.

Voice contact by the issuer of the credit card is the only fool proof way that i can come up with ...

Well no difference if
    1. You have data protection policies - If you do, let's hear them
    2. You have audit procedures to check them and ensure adherence
    3. You can represent yourself to be as trustworthy as them.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Re: ID-Required on Signup

The number would be used to verify information with:
    http://safespy.net/detective.htm
    On a side note, are those things any good? Sure wouldn't mind paying $35. How updated is it?
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Another option would be to only allow instant setup if the person gives the required info (drivers license or whatever).

If they don't want to give the information, charge an extra ten bucks or something and have someone verify by telephone or reference or something like that ....

People are hesitant to give out information that is going to be stored electronically ... (wachovia and bank of america just lost 110,000 profiles a couple weeks ago ... if public companies with audits, etc., can lose information than I am sure it can happen to a privately owned server company)

i believe passports are the most common thing among all people on the planet.

i use it for international customers and use Civil ID/driving license for local customers
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Alright, this is my main concern. As a dedicated server / colo provider one is always at risk when bw usage is not limited to the customer. Sure the customer can agree to a set amount of bw and an overage policy, but what does the company does under the following circumstance?

Client goes over by $500 in a month. Dedicated server company charges the client for the overage, which is later disputed by a chargeback. The company is now out some money (possibly a few mths worth of mthly payments.) Now unless the company has the proper means of IDing the company there are very few ways to try to collect these funds.

What would one recommend as protection for the ded server company? (A drivers license # is public information...it's not a SSN number.)

Re: Re: ID-Required on Signup

Originally posted by sprintserve
    On a side note, are those things any good? Sure wouldn't mind paying $35. How updated is it?
    The last time I used it I got information that was about 3 months old, but was very very helpful.

Alright, this is my main concern. As a dedicated server / colo provider one is always at risk when bw usage is not limited to the customer.

charges the client for the overage, which is later disputed by a chargeback. The company is now out some money

What would one recommend as protection for the ded server company? (A drivers license # is public information...it's not a SSN number.)
    I didn't realize you were talking about collecting money after the fact ... i thought you were worried about scammed credit cards.

I don't think that having a drivers license number is going to help you collect disputed money. The billing address from the credit card will give you the address to serve notices if you are going to sue for your money.

I understand where you are coming from ... but my opinion is that it would cost legitmate customers and really not help you collect money from those who dispute charges, etc .....

(A drivers license # is public information...it's not a SSN number.)
    Well, at least here in the South, older DLs still have SSN as their DL number...

Originally posted by oshawa
    I didn't realize you were talking about collecting money after the fact ... i thought you were worried about scammed credit cards.

I don't think that having a drivers license number is going to help you collect disputed money. The billing address from the credit card will give you the address to serve notices if you are going to sue for your money.

I understand where you are coming from ... but my opinion is that it would cost legitmate customers and really not help you collect money from those who dispute charges, etc .....
    Although the drivers license ID would help deter fraud, that is not the reason we'd have it on file. With an agreement to the terms of service, and proper ID it is much easier to successfully collect funds that are owed to the company (collection paths and ultimately consumer reporting agencies.)

Just looking for a form of added protection. I'm sure the really big guys have successful methods in place, but a significant overage charge that was definately the result of a client can certainly be a hassle for a medium sized company to handle. Especially if it occurs more than once.

Open to input on other ways a dedicated server company could it's rear end.

Originally posted by sprintserve
    Well no difference if
    1. You have data protection policies - If you do, let's hear them
    2. You have audit procedures to check them and ensure adherence
    3. You can represent yourself to be as trustworthy as them.
    Data protection policies would definately be put in place and become something the company with strictly enforce. Enrollment and adherement to the policies of the BBB programs. Data protection and privacy would certainly be a number one priority; we're not looking to make it a liability for the client, simply a method of extended protection for the company.

Besides all that do you think it would deter potential clients?

I should of made a poll...

For our dedicated servers we require a copy of a drivers license and credit card. I don't want to invest in the equipment unless I'm sure the person is real and is capable of paying the monthly cost. Just last month I had someone sign up for 2 new high end servers. My cost was $9,000.00 +. You can be sure that if I'm going to invest 9K in new equipment I'm going to make sure I know who is placing the order.

It is certainly reasonable to request any of this information if you are putting your money and resources at risk. Name one other business that you can use $1,000s of capital and resources and not provide this information.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Call me paranoid, but in the soon to be seemingly full-on police state in the USA, It would certainly deter someone like me. I enjoy my privacy and practically live by the book How To Be Invisible to help ensure that privacy. There's 100 other companies I could go to and not have to give an ID to. There are plenty of people (including myself) that have no bad intentions but would much rather pay a hefty setup fee than submit any form of ID.

Perhaps a hard to find or case by case opt-out page could work, that way people who don't mind giving it out will give you the info, then if they run up a large bandwidth bill you've got them.

If that is the case, that means you will not be selling to minors?
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast