Anyone know anything about cars?

Hi,

I accidentally put Automatic Transmission Fluid in my engine. I mistook the bottle for Motor Oil when I picked it up.

What is the effect of this? What problems can this cause? Will this damage the engine?

The car still runs...

Thanks,
    Nich
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

Drain the ATF, put a new filter on it. Put Motor Oil in it.

ATF is a good lube, but high in detergents. If you did not run it too long, it will be cleaner, and likely ok.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Originally posted by TalkMilitary
    Drain the ATF, put a new filter on it. Put Motor Oil in it.

ATF is a good lube, but high in detergents. If you did not run it too long, it will be cleaner, and likely ok.
    If I mix motor oil in it also, will I survive?

There is an entire bottle of ATF in.
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

It is super easy to unscrew the drain plug, drain the oil, unscrew the oil filter and replace and refill. The ATF does not have the proper viscocity to lubricate your engine so I wouldn't just wait another 3000 miles to change it but if it takes you a bit to change it your engine won't sieze.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by DevilDog
    It is super easy to unscrew the drain plug, drain the oil, unscrew the oil filter and replace and refill. The ATF does not have the proper viscocity to lubricate your engine so I wouldn't just wait another 3000 miles to change it but if it takes you a bit to change it your engine won't sieze.
    I was just getting ready to drive out about 50 miles and wanted to check the car the last minute.

You think it will be okay with the mixed ATF and motor oil for my drive? The engine won't die on me right?

I can get the engine drained and filter replaced later today or tomorrow. Is this okay?
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Originally posted by Nich
    If I mix motor oil in it also, will I survive?

There is an entire bottle of ATF in.
    1 qt ATF will not usually do any harm for a short while. Just go ahead and do an oil/filter change now and you will likely be fine.

Old School stuff here.... We used to add a quart of ATF to the engine oil prior to a change to help clean out dirty engines (10-50 miles). Some severly--- lots of carbon, coked oil, junk, crud..etc.. abused engines do not tolerate it. It really depends on how well maintained your engine is.

We also used to use water down the carb (engine running.. of course) to break up carbon (water shatters it). We used ATF instead of water in severe cases (ATF dissoves it, rather than shattering the carbon).

As one who actually knows... just go ahead and do the oil/filter change.
    Last edited by Fair Dinkum; 05-29-2005 at 04:45 PM.

Okay thanks a lot TalkMiltary and DevilDog for your help!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

We also used to use water down the carb (engine running.. of course) to break up carbon (water shatters it). We used ATF instead of water in severe cases (ATF dissoves it, rather than shattering the carbon).
    Wow, doesn't anybody use Marvel Mystery Oil anymore?
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by trau
    Wow, doesn't anybody use Marvel Mystery Oil anymore?
    Some do... but that is a bit newer than water and/or ATF... for that use.

worst case senario, if the engine is old and has alot of wear on it, the ATF will clean it up and you will have a nice ticking engine
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    worst case senario, if the engine is old and has alot of wear on it, the ATF will clean it up and you will have a nice ticking engine
    I would have expected to you say clean out /etc/oil and other server admin sounding things.

Old School stuff here.... We used to add a quart of ATF to the engine oil prior to a change to help clean out dirty engines (10-50 miles). Some severly--- lots of carbon, coked oil, junk, crud..etc.. abused engines do not tolerate it. It really depends on how well maintained your engine is.
    I worked for a very old school shop in the early 80s that would dump the oil and then run five quarts of straight kerosene to clean up the really filthy engines. Personally, I wasn't comfortable going to that extreme, and would run one or maybe two quarts of motor flush with the old oil.

I did the water trick as a matter of course during tune-ups. I was taught brake fluid rather than ATF for the severe cases, but I imagine the results were the same - a clean top end and a cloud of smoke that would probably land you behind bars in this day and age

-Bob

Originally posted by Aea
    I would have expected to you say clean out /etc/oil and other server admin sounding things.
    Haha funny I really do enjoy working on cars more then i do linux

http://img124.echo.cx/img124/550/00006945yn.jpg
    http://img244.echo.cx/img244/2901/00006926lc.jpg

Thats going in a stroked 350 short block (383)

<3 torque
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by TMX
    I worked for a very old school shop in the early 80s that would dump the oil and then run five quarts of straight kerosene to clean up the really filthy engines. Personally, I wasn't comfortable going to that extreme, and would run one or maybe two quarts of motor flush with the old oil.

I did the water trick as a matter of course during tune-ups. I was taught brake fluid rather than ATF for the severe cases, but I imagine the results were the same - a clean top end and a cloud of smoke that would probably land you behind bars in this day and age

-Bob
    Brake fluid will do the same thing? wouldnt think Glycol would do that. *shrugs*

I seized my entire car's engine once and had to buy a new engine for $5,000.00

The oil pump was broken and I also hadn't changed the oil in a long time. Now I do it every 3,000 miles.

Apparently cars need oil... who knew!

Frosty what kind of car was it? 5k seems kind of excessive

5k would buy you a pretty nice engine
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

It was a Suzuki (grand vitara). Shown here:

http://imagessuzuki1.free.fr/images/...tara-us_10.jpg

No, the engine I got wasn't even new, it was taken from another car that had been totalled so I got it cheaper. It was actually $4,500

A brand new engine would have been a couple thousand more. Trust me, we checked around. It's a cute little jeep... but crappy. Wish I had a Benz SUV instead.

Vitara's are quite nice vehicles, a lot on the road down here. Personally, I wouldn't mind one
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Now sell the car. As you may get away with it for a while. But if the car is under 5 years old it's bugger. Specially if it is a turbo
    zaax