Forum on a 128mb Ram Dedicated Server

I run an active forum at the moment, but recently my host has had a few outages.

I transfer 25-30 gb a month, around 1gb a day, little less at weekends. I've found a cheapish dedicated server but it only has 128mb RAM. Would that be able to handle my forum?

Mark.

How much money? Why don't you check out some vps offers

Re: Forum on a 128mb Ram Dedicated Server

Originally posted by marklcfc
    I run an active forum at the moment, but recently my host has had a few outages.

I transfer 25-30 gb a month, around 1gb a day, little less at weekends. I've found a cheapish dedicated server but it only has 128mb RAM. Would that be able to handle my forum?

Mark.
    that most likely would not handle your forum.

What forum is it (software)? You'll need atleast 256mb to keep any small forum happy.

There's a strong chance that your forum WILL work fine on 128megs of ram.

If you had no peaks, your bandwidth usage suggests an average of 12k/sec. I'd guess at 5 users being online on average, with a peak of maybe 25 users online? Based on this, your server should be able to handle it fine. Since I'm just hitting a rough guess here, if you could provide us with your "record" amount of users this would help alot.

It would also be nice to know the CPU and HDD on this new server.

The software you are using would help alot too.

Hoggers = phpBB / YaBB-SE
    Average = vBulletin
    Speeder = SMF

I would be tempted to say try and spend a bit more. Really the more RAM the better on this as you have to plan for peaks and it can be a false econmy going for cheaper hardware. For example if you get money from the advertising on the website then should you have downtime due to lack of RAM you could miss advertising revenus. Spending a bit extra now could save you hassel in the long run

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Wow... 128MB RAM. Are you sure you are not looking at a VPS?
    At Layeredtech you can get a Sempron with 512MB RAM and an 80GB IDE drive for around $60, with Plesk $65.
    (www.layeredtech.com)

128MB RAM is too low.

if DirtCheap on offers board.. they usually have decent machiens for your req like $30-40 for p3 with 512, but there sales usually sell out in a few hours

Re: Re: Forum on a 128mb Ram Dedicated Server

Originally posted by TulipSystems

What forum is it (software)? You'll need atleast 256mb to keep any small forum happy.
    Invision

Originally posted by shockuk

If you had no peaks, your bandwidth usage suggests an average of 12k/sec. I'd guess at 5 users being online on average, with a peak of maybe 25 users online? Based on this, your server should be able to handle it fine. Since I'm just hitting a rough guess here, if you could provide us with your "record" amount of users this would help alot.
    Record amount of users online is 134, but that includes guests. Members wise, it can get to 30-50 online at the same time. The only time 5 or so users are online is at times like 2-3 am in the morning.

Originally posted by adb22791
    Wow... 128MB RAM. Are you sure you are not looking at a VPS?
    At Layeredtech you can get a Sempron with 512MB RAM and an 80GB IDE drive for around $60, with Plesk $65.
    (www.layeredtech.com)

128MB RAM is too low.
    It was a dedicated server, look at the bottom of this page..
    http://www.servepath.com/servers/c0.htm

Try looking here for better offers... http://www.layeredtech.com/servers.php

Ouch, $58 per month for that?
    Try Layeredtech or Serverbeach.
    Good luck,

Originally posted by davef139
    if DirtCheap on offers board.. they usually have decent machiens for your req like $30-40 for p3 with 512, but there sales usually sell out in a few hours
    dirtcheapwebservers.com has closed down its business.

Maybe you can try wholesaleinternet.com

what kind of language is your forum? if it's PHP, there are heaps of VPS you can try~like powerVPS~

Try out layered tech. There was one for $55 a month with 512 ram. Should run Invision well.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com