hosts that allow freeware/public domain roms, emulators?

My current host was fine with hosting freeware/public domain roms and emulators, and the message forums discussing roms/emulators.

Now my host has been taken over by another set of guys who keep suspending my account.

Im now looking for a host that allow freeware/public domain roms, emulators and allows my message forum where the discussions will be about roms/emulators.

If anyone knows a host that allows material of that nature please let me know asap.

I was looking for a host who isn't a reseller (and can prove they arent), and for around 30gb b/w per month and 300mb space.

Cheers.

PS >> please reply or pm.

if the roms are truely freeware, such as the games not being held under still running copyright by the company that released the game (usually most snes roms and almost all nes as an example), or self made roms that you have permission to distribute..... Then i would see no problem in many hosts allowing it. I'd ask the host before you bought in, and try checking out the advetisment area of the forums as well.
    Last edited by Killa200; 05-29-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Hello Skize,

Most hosts can give you what you need! Just be sure to select a host that is not a reseller. I guess speed is important for you so the second most important thing to check when looking for a host is the datacenter where your files will be located. Datacenters located in western USA are probably the best in the world. Most hosts on the forum will agree.

Good luck!

Northtrex,

Why are the ones in the West USA the best in the world?
    Lots of great datacenters east of the rockies!

Hello HP-David,

The success of the western firms is a result of three factors.

- First, the big three (The Planet, Rackspace, EV1) all have a long history in the hosting industry going back five-plus years or more.

- Secondly, location does have a significant but understated role in the Internet world. Texas is positioned centrally in the US, with average ping times around 20ms to both coasts, and the jumping off point of international traffic (San Jose, Virginia).

- Lastly, the Texas area affords hosting companies relatively low cost datacenters in terms of real estate and cost-effective technical talent as compared to our other hi-tech geographic locations like San Jose and Ashburn.

I agree with you, there is a few good datacenters east of the rockies but if you want to play safe go TEXAS!

Originally posted by HP-David
    Northtrex,

Why are the ones in the West USA the best in the world?

Perhaps because that is where his server is and he is trying to make a sale in a forum where promoting your own site is not allowed.

blue27,

Your accusations are not fair at all. I'm I wrong in what I said ?

Originally posted by Northtrex
    - First, the big three (The Planet, Rackspace, EV1) all have a long history in the hosting industry going back five-plus years or more.

- Secondly, location does have a significant but understated role in the Internet world. Texas is positioned centrally in the US, with average ping times around 20ms to both coasts, and the jumping off point of international traffic (San Jose, Virginia).

- Lastly, the Texas area affords hosting companies relatively low cost datacenters in terms of real estate and cost-effective technical talent as compared to our other hi-tech geographic locations like San Jose and Ashburn.

I agree with you, there is a few good datacenters east of the rockies but if you want to play safe go TEXAS!
    Texas isn't "west" it's central, and FYI it IS east of the rockies....

I shy away from California for a number of reasons - earthquakes, real estate costs mean the data centers have to be kinda highish on pricing, I'm in Alabama and I really want my servers close enough I can drive to them if I need to.

Which makes Atlanta my ideal location for service, real estate isn't that bad in Atlanta, certainly nothing like San Francisco, and I can get there in 3 or 4 hours depending on traffic, and Atlanta is a pretty formidable internet hub allowing many providers to get some really sweet bandwidth pricing.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Hello HP-David,

The success of the western firms is a result of three factors.

Texas is south-central, not western USA. I personally love The Planet and EV1's datacenters, but I'd go with a host in other states, as long as I know its reliable. The only way I'm restrictive about location is that I'd only go with a datacenter in the USA, since that's where I'm located, and a majority of hosting clients. I personally live in Northern California, but I've never used a Californian datacenter, although I've considered a San Francisco one before.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Hrm.....

Cali servers. Nothing like a good earthquake to take your site offline....

Aside from that, there are good servers just about in any major city. ServInt is on the east coast, and have one of the most stable datacenters possible. They even stayed up the entire NE blackout a few years ago.

As for roms and such, I suppose whoever you are dealing with suspends your account because they are afraid your content can get them shut down. Video game roms are NOT freeware unless the game was developed specifically for freeware distribution. And a lot of hosts would rather error on the side of caution, than bother checking every Rom you post is really legal.

blue27,

Your accusations are not fair at all. I'm I wrong in what I said ?

I have seen no evidence that would support what you said.
    There are many outstanding data centers on the East coast as good or better than the ones you mentioned.