New York, USA

Inquiry about game images [copyright]

Question: Do you have to track down the artist (hired by a game developing company) who produced game images such as game wallpaper/poster before I use or even sell their work?

Well, I noticed a lot of web developers offering design for gaming sites; they cut out parts from game wallpaper and use it on a part of the template. Then they sell them.

Is that legal?

I see sites like templatemonster selling game templates with these game images. So I would assume its ok?

Then someone on this another forum tells me to actually contact these artist before I use or sell their work.

What are the rules and restrictions regarding the use of game images?

I am asking this because I am thinking of doing this and I just donít want to get In trouble.

- Thanks for viewing.

Sydney, Australia
    Normally the game developer (the company that commissioned the work) would own the rights, not the actual developer persay.

And if your final product is a recognisable derivative then yes you do need to get their permission.

i agree, you need permission to sell the final product.
    in templatemonster's case, they have a license from a photobank, getty i think, which let's them use graphics for redistribution...