'Japan soldiers' found in jungle [Still Active]

The pair, in their 80s, were reportedly found on southern Mindanao island.

The men were expected to travel to meet Japanese officials on Friday, but have yet to make contact.

The claim drew comparisons with the 1974 case of Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda, who was found in the Philippines jungle unaware the war had ended.

'Incredible if true'

The two men on Mindanao contacted a Japanese national who was collecting the remains of war dead on Mindanao, according to government sources.

They had equipment which suggested they were former soldiers.

"It is an incredible story if it is true," Japan's consul general in Manila, Akio Egawa, told the AFP news agency.

"They were found, I believe, in the mountains near General Santos on Mindanao Island.
    Full Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4585287.stm

reminds me of mash.
    Kerry Jones

Or they could have defected.

I don't think they deserted... if you read the article you would see that they had to fly in their old commanding officer to get them to leave the region. It all has to do with honor and shame.
    Kerry Jones

That'd be pretty darn amazing if it's true... but much like the tokyo corrospondant said, it is likely that they are aware the war is over but they chose to stay there for their own reasons...
    Warning: include('signature') [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in eval'd code on line 38
    Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'signature' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in eval'd code on line 38

Some people say that it isnt true. I think that it is very unlikley because 60 years is a long time and there are a lot of rebles there that would have killed them.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

Wow. If that's true it is still unbelievable.

That is incredible. Amazing discipline if true.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    I don't think they deserted... if you read the article you would see that they had to fly in their old commanding officer to get them to leave the region. It all has to do with honor and shame.
    The part about flying in the old commanding officer referred to the 1974 case of Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda. Lt. Onoda is believed to hold the record for the longest time spent in the Philippine jungle without knowing the war was over. I think President Marcos pardoned Lt. Onoda for having shot some Filipinos during the 29 years he was fighting the war by mistake.

It's still more guesses and questions than answers. I kind of suspect that sometime before figuring out that Japan was no longer at war, they may have joined up with the Muslim rebels who were at war against the Republic of the Philippines, thinking that they were fighting the same war. At some point (which may or may not have surpassed Lt. Onoda's record) the Japanese soldiers may have become aware that they were fighting the R.P. for the rebels but not for Japan. They may have worries about how to disentangle themselves from the rebels and how much trouble they may be in for having fought the R.P.