New Companies? Any Good?

Would you trust a new company with your website or would you rather a more older company?
    New Project: COMING!

I'd probably stick with the older companies.. Then again, these older companies were once a new company.. If you don't give them a chance, who will?

First of all I would check WHT about any company, no matter new or old.
    If I am to chose- I'd chose an old one. But not before I make a google-check and hear about this company from this forum.

If I was looking for a web host I would research around, obviously search around more then just WHT.

However if the only differences was new company/old company. I'd end up going with the older company.

Sometimes if you find the right new company, you may find someone who does a super job with support, because they really want to see their business do well and grow. What you have to watch out for are growing pains. They start getting bigger and are not able to cope with the influx of support requests, etc.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    Easy • Profitable • 1000s of Sites us phpLD
    Hosts We Recommend for Users of Our Software

Originally posted by dvduval
    Sometimes if you find the right new company, you may find someone who does a super job with support, because they really want to see their business do well and grow. What you have to watch out for are growing pains. They start getting bigger and are not able to cope with the influx of support requests, etc.
    Agreed there are a lot of new resellers out their very determined and will end up doing a great job.

Everyone deserves a chance, new or old. Just test out a few things like their response time and such before signing up.

Originally posted by aingaran
    I'd probably stick with the older companies.. Then again, these older companies were once a new company.. If you don't give them a chance, who will?
    I agree with what you said aingaran. You should give them a chance, as in most cases, you are likely to find better services in newer companies than the older due to the Clientel base (number of customers). However, there are some older companies who provide descent services for the number of customers they have, and Site5 is a good example, but just ask the host some questions, see what their mission is, what they are trying to accomplish, if they plan on being in the business for a while (as most new companies don't last long due to management) and ask some questions to test out their experience with the hosting industry (software, services, etc.)
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by WN-Ali
    Everyone deserves a chance, new or old. Just test out a few things like their response time and such before signing up.
    Yea, and you shouldn't always judge a company if it is new or old. Maybe if you are their first customer than things might be a little shady, but talk to them and see how they are doing with their business, what they hope to acheive, and always make sure they do everything professionally.
    Phlint! Web Media [http://phlint.com]
    [email protected]

Speaking form the point of view of having a new company it does come up to a bit of a catch 22 as you need customers to build trust, but some people won't trust you are you are new. As others have said speak to the people running it and see what they are like. Also just because a business is new doesn't mean the people are so see if they have run other companies

Rus

Most people prefer to go with well-established hosts but we should support the competition. So I believe it is important that new companies that have proven themselves as reliable to be supported by their customers.

Best Regards
    D.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

All established companies had to start somewhere. I guess it all depends on how the New Companies present themselves and if they follow through with their offers/service.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

No new company is ever going to make it to become an old company if all potential clients go with older companies, so you have to give new companies a chance.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Everyone deserves a chance, new or old.
    No new company is ever going to make it to become an old company if all potential clients go with older companies, so you have to give new companies a chance.
    I disagree, in the sense that as a customer, or potential customer, you don't owe anything to any provider out there, old or new.

Any decision I make will be made so that I end up with a good company. It's a fact of life that a new company won't have experience or a track record to sustain its selling process, so it must concentrate on other selling points and convince me in other ways that they are good.

I have nothing against new companies, but it'll take a lot for a new company to convince me that it deserves my business.

I would firstly do the sufficient amount of research about the new company and contact their support to see if they are responsive, then if all goes to planned i wouldnt see a problem with trusting a new host.

Even if the company is an old company, the company will always be "new" to you. That is of course, you've never used them before.

I would trust new and small companies. But then again, I trust a lot of people.

I've found people are genrally trustworthy and as long as you don't buy hosting a year in an advance you will be ok

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

If I was a customer, the age of a company wouldn't be an important issue for me. Look around this forum and see what happened to Affordablehost and Dinix.

These two examples would be enough reason for me to disagree with those who advise against new companies.

Both ends have their goods and bads. Older companies are better established, but 99% of the time support is less "1 on 1". Newer companies basically get to know all of their customers 1 on 1 and remember each customers past issues, but on the other hand a good majority of them drop out of the business and run with your money if you pay yearly...

My suggestion, IF you go with a newer company, be sure to pay monthly and backup frequently. Also, grill any company a little, new or old. You can tell a lot about a company by just seeing how well and fast they respond to an "I have a few questions about your service" email.

Last but not least, do your research. Old companies can go bankrupt, and new companies can rise to the top. Going with an established company doesn't always mean that things will be GREAT, and going with a newer company doesn't always mean you'll be dealing with some little kid that has no clue what he's doing and will go out of business in a week.
    • Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    • 10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    • Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

Personally I would be wary of new companies - sure "every old company was a new company once" but why risk your own site, let someone else risk their own.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

If you ask me, I'd go with a well-established company that I can find customer feedback on by looking around.
    (Sorry, new companies!)
    But I am not saying that the older companies are any better; it's just easier to check them.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

But I am not saying that the older companies are any better; it's just easier to check them.
    Well said and I agree.

Anyone that just uses what they find here on WHT will be disapointed. This place is more of a shark pit with people just waiting to cut any host down just to try to gain a customer. Now don't mistake that with me saying everyone here does this but a good number do.

In general I am disapointed in the way WHT has become not because of lack of moderation but because of petty arguments between clients and hosts that could have been handled between them selfs. Then the people that I mentioned above looking to do damage to a host that they have no experance with... just to have the vege attempt of getting some customer out of it.

This community is a wealth of knowledge that can be used for good, but like most good things has been spoild in part to other peoples greed.

This topic just supports it in a way. idcdc is proably one that will agree with me to an extent.

idcdc is proably one that will agree with me to an extent.
    Good guess. I do agree with you to a certain extent. WHT's been misused by both hosts and customers quite a few times and in multiple ways. Arguably some hosts inherit a largely undeserved negative or half negative reputation, while others enjoy half undeserved "flavour of the month" periods.

WHT is not perfect, it is what it is, and the customers must do what's possible to make the best out of it.

What Nadabrahma said still stands though: older companies are not necessarily any better; generally it's easier to check them and the fact that their business model withstood the test of time also helps.

There is nothing inherently wrong or bad with a new company. The same rules apply, research them as best you can, ask them questions, get an account and try them out. I wouldn't trust hosting an important business site without trying them out with something less important first. But then again I would say the same for a well known established company (unless I was referred to them by a trusted friend).
    And most important of all carefully read whatever complaints you may find. Many times the complaints have little or no merit. Other times its a minor issue, yet the host comes out with all barrels blazing, rather than solving the problem.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Some ratings sites like www.findmyhosting.com and such are a decent place to research if you're not too big of a fan of wht. Any company with 30+ reviews at a 99.9% positive feedback must be good. Also if you find a company that you're wanting to go with, a good google search for thatcompanyurl.com should bring back some ok results.

P.S. What is considered a "new" host? I'm about 8 months old, and have a little less than 500 customers. I'd assume that's new, but was curious on everyone's view of "new".

Any company with 30+ reviews at a 99.9% positive feedback must be good.
    Ratings, especially when anyone can vote, can be quite easily skewed if the host tries to. I actually remember one flagrant case where the company had hundreds of reviews at findmyhosting.com (the vast majority of which were positive). Turns out the customers were actually asked by the host immediately after signup to write a review there, and in return they were promised months of free hosting.

It all just goes to prove that appearances can sometimes be deceiving or at least skewed. findmyhosting.com is a good site and I do find it valuable, but it is not perfect.

Same here. I would do some research, contact them myself, and if I felt good about it I would go ahead.

If I wanted to take a chance, then I would host a site I didn't care much about. But since I don't have any web sites I don't care about, that's not an option.

I just host my personal site on my own servers anyway, so I've never been in that position.

Bohica, about 500 customers in less than a year is excellent. Nice job! What was your main source of advertising?
    Last edited by JonMB; 05-29-2005 at 10:48 PM.

I will trust an older one. new ones are always suspicious

BlueyBlue, regardless of whether it's an old or new company, you would surely like to have some form of personal insurance in place, because disasters have no respect of any person or company:

1. Domain name - make sure you really own it and have access to dns management on the registrar's, not reseller's, database.
    2. Website - Make sure you have frequent backups or if your business strictly cannot afford any disruption, have a mirror site hosted with another host and datacenter, so that if any untoward incident should occur, you could simply point your domain to the backup site to keep your business running as usual while you get your main site up.

If you've been around long, you would have read the many misfortunes that had befallen some of our friends on this forum. Learn with them ... not the hard way.
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

I agree 100 percent. Doing your own backups is very important. Why would you trust someone else to do it for you when you could easily do it yourself and save what you have worked so hard for?

Originally posted by JonMB
    Bohica, about 500 customers in less than a year is excellent. Nice job! What was your main source of advertising?
    I got like 20 from google adwords, a handful from findmyhosting.com, and the rest through my friends telling people and various other word of mouth. I'm not big on spending money for clients/referrals (meaning I'm a cheap@$$ )

Check in Alexa

I have found alexa's rank useful to check a hosting company.

I would use a new company, they are nice, new and fresh and are willing to give alot of their time for some support.

Usually they are also inexpensive with their prices.

I have found alexa's rank useful to check a hosting company.
    In what way exactly?

I would use a new company, they are nice, new and fresh and are willing to give alot of their time for some support.
    There you go, new hosts need to know how to market themselves.

Originally posted by nashost
    Don't forget that new host smell that people love so much.

Seriously, though, sometimes you're right. You can find a new host that is looking to get themselves established and will work twice as hard to keep their customers as they do it. Good point.