Quick search engine/ranking question...

Ok, let's say I have a site that deals with pets. The site has tons of pet-related content (hundreds of pages), keywords, titles, descriptions, etc. Everything is search engine CANDY!. This pet site is also linked to no less than 100 other pet-related sites via reciprocal linking, etc.

However, Google is still placing this pet site somewhere at the bottom of the heap and since I can't possably add anymore content since THAT obviously is'nt the problem, I decide to go for lots of linkage to get a higher ranking.

Since I don't have anymore pet-related sites, forums or directories that will link to me, I decide to write a free game called "puppy checkers" and list it in 50 software sites and maybe a script (ie; puppy checkers - Java edition) and list it in 50 script sites.

Now my question is this: Even though I'm getting lots of extra linkage by having my link listed in all of these extra software and script sites, will google still give me a low ranking just because "checkers games" and "pets" are unrelated tio each other or will that bring my rank up a little higher (and how high)?

I'd be very interested in knowing this and thank's!!.
    Anxiety Zone - Anxiety Disorders Forum
    http://www.anxietyzone.com
    'Support Through Caring'

Moved to Web Design and Content.
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

First, how long has your website been up? If it is anything less than a year, it is normal that it is not well ranked by Google yet.

Then, link popularity is by page, not site. Having 50 links to your game will help mainly the page towards which the links are pointing.

Lastly, in order to be useful, links must be relevant. It means either from websites including pet related content, or at least with the targeted keyword(s) hyperlinked.

N.B. relevancy can be seen by search engines differently than by humans. I.e. in your case, it could pay to exchange links with sites about "PET bottles"...

And the only way I can see such a game scheme to work profitably for you would be to rename the game (or create another game) containing "pet(s)" in its name and pointing to your index page.

Thanks for the detailed reply!. Wow, so Google actually penalizes you just because your not an "old timer" eh?. Do all of the SE's work this way?. The site has only been up for a little over two months so far. I also heard that getting listed on DMOZ helps your ranking in Google...is this true?.

My old site that has been around since the early 90's practically OWNS Google and I can make it go to the top of the search results (or close) under common keywords almost at will but this new site is pure SE eye-candy and when it showed up at the very bottom of the heap I was absolutely amazed as well as very dissapointed. I guess the main thing is to just sit back and let time do it's thing eh?.

Anyway, thank's again for your help.
    'Support Through Caring'

Oh and another thing...why is it that when I type in keyphrases used on many of the pages of my site (tags, contents, description, etc) it always brings up a page I am linked to rather than one of the pages from my site?.

When I have "penny's pound puppies" in my keywords, description, title and content, would'nt you think I'd at least come up on page 50 in the search results?. I am there if I type the exact phrase in quotation marks but I am still way down at the bottom of the heap.

I'm just not understanding this at all. My profile contains the URL of the site in question if anyone would be kind enough to take a look.

Thanks a bunch!
    'Support Through Caring'

Wow, so Google actually penalizes you just because your not an "old timer" eh?. Do all of the SE's work this way?
    Yes, it is called the sandbox effect. With Google, you need to wait. Not as long with other search engines.
    I also heard that getting listed on DMOZ helps your ranking in Google...is this true?
    100%; DMOZ and other relevant directories are vital.
    why is it that when I type in keyphrases used on many of the pages of my site (tags, contents, description, etc) it always brings up a page I am linked to rather than one of the pages from my site?
    Typical misbehavior during the first year.

Thank's for the very detailed and helpful reply. Although I almost feel like I am being "punished" by being put in a sandbox, I suppose they do this to weed out the legit sites from the spammer (gosh, spammers screw up everything these days don't they?). Anyway, so could you please direct me to a page containg a list of all the search engines and directories that I MUST be listed in?. Is therea page with the "top ten" or "must haves" floating around out there?.

And finally, do you really think it would be worth the effort getting listed on the script and software sites or should'nt I even waste my time?

Thank's again.
    'Support Through Caring'

Also, meta tags aren't even relevent in google, they base your position soley off the amount of back links to your site.

When you say "backlinks", you mean other sites linking to me, right?.

So is there a site out there somewhere that has a list of all the "must do" search engines and directories?
    'Support Through Caring'

could you please direct me to a page containg a list of all the search engines and directories that I MUST be listed in?
    There is no need to submit to any search engine. They will find you automatically by following links from other sites to yours. As for directories, DMOZ is a must. Others depend on your industry. Search Google for [pet directory] and other similar. I personally avoid pay-for-listing directories, including Yahoo (but there are still ways to get listed for free on local Yahoos).

Also, meta tags aren't even relevent in google, they base your position soley off the amount of back links to your site.
    Yes, but that does not mean that you should ignore your HTML. Hx tags are vital, alt attributes on linked images are too, title tags have their importance.

I know mark, I was just mentioning for google in particular don't worry about bothering with your meta tags etc. It's all about link backs from other relevent websites with high rankings themselves.

Also on your linkbacks, target your keywords with the alt text.

I use to bother a lot about SEO, site submission etc, it seems to worsen my Google search position. Then I start ignoring and just go on with life, it seems to help my domain get placed much higher. One thing about SEO just leave it, do a nice design work and go on with life. The spiders will catch up on you sooner or later.

Originally posted by boonchuan
    I use to bother a lot about SEO, site submission etc, it seems to worsen my Google search position. Then I start ignoring and just go on with life, it seems to help my domain get placed much higher. One thing about SEO just leave it, do a nice design work and go on with life. The spiders will catch up on you sooner or later.
    I agree. There are certainly some things you can do to optimize your site to make them more "SEO tight" but it sounds like that's been done and the best thing to do is to keep adding content and the links and noteriety will come if it's a site people want to get to. The puppy software will certainly help and not hurt because people that use and would link to it are animal lovers after all.

Two months is pretty new. You'll definitely bubble up eventually. Sandbox effect makes sense. If it was so easy to pop to the top quickly then it would be easy for blackhat SEO's to use cheap tricks to get to the top and they would have almost immediate feedback to reverse engineer the algorithms.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site