Thread: hactivism??!!??

hactivism??!!??

hmm i was reading this article on internet security and stuff and it mentioned something about hactivism... now i know what hacking is... but does anyone know what hactivism/hacktivism(???) is?

have a good one fellas

I'd say it is hacking/defacement for political purposes. For example, hacking a political site and putting different propoganda on it.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

hmm so basically what you mean to say is that it is done in order to push a propoganda to the people? hmm still not cear about this....

In my opinion yes.

Let's say that you're a member of the Animal Liberation Front. And you want to push your message by hacking sites and companies that you are opposed to. So you deface the web sites of research labs you think mistreat animals with messages like "Stop the Violence against these innocent creatures". And maybe you launch a denial of service attack on their email server. All in the name of saving little woodland creatures.

So instead of breaking into a lab and releasing creatures or picketing outside their office, you bring the activism to the Internet.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

hmm.. ok thanks for tht.... thats pretty interesting.. and a really clever name..... hacking for the cause of activism.... but.... what i am interested in is how did they come up with that term