Thread: C$ Admin$ IPC$

C$ Admin$ IPC$

I was reading up on some of the old issues the windows shares for eg C$, IPC$, Admin$, googled and saw that some recommend disabling using registry etc. Tried and after reboot, it still came back.

Is it a must to disable the shares. I mean if a system is properly patched, the shares doesnt seem much of a use. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is something I was thinking for a long time, no definite answer. Any experts care to share. Also how to really disable them if they need to be disabled.

What version of Windows did you attempt to disable it on?
    I always did like the clouds

Windows 2000 servers, the registry changes doesnt seem to help, one reboot and they are back

Follow these steps,

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters
    Name: AutoShareServer for servers
    Name: AutoShareWks for workstations
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0

After doing this follow the steps given below,

Right Click Mycomputer

Got Manage

Shared Folders

Right click the Share you want to disable

Click stop sharing.

This will permantly stop the sharing, I think you missed out the second part .
    AssistanZ - Beyond Boundaries...
    Cloudstack Consultancy / 24x7 Web Hosting Support / 24x7 Server Management / Infrastructure Management Services
    Web & Mobile Apps Development / Web Designing Services / Php, Grails, Java Development

Yeap I miss the second part : ). But is there a real security risk for C$ Admin$ and IPC$?

It is security risk when you set poor permissions for the files in that drive. The c$ is useful for fileservers and not good for online webservers. For example it will be useful for samba. I always recommend my clients to disable that in their webservers.
    AssistanZ - Beyond Boundaries...
    Cloudstack Consultancy / 24x7 Web Hosting Support / 24x7 Server Management / Infrastructure Management Services
    Web & Mobile Apps Development / Web Designing Services / Php, Grails, Java Development