IBM and (lack of ) FreeBSD support

IBM seems quite aligned with RH Linux, it is very well supported by them. I want to run FreeBSD on an xSeries server (345) and am running into resistance. There is so much available natively via Linux in terms of drivers, IBM Director software.

Is anyone having any luck running FreeBSD on xSeries hardware and not giving up some of the hardware monitoring niceness built into these boxes?

Also, do one of the major server manufacturers (Dell or HP for example) officially support FreeBSD?

Thanks!

You don't need official FreeBSD support via a large provider like that.

My suggestion to you is contact rackmountsetc or someone like them for a complete hardware list in a server. Make sure each piece has native Free BSD driver support and have them swap out any pieces that don't.

That will give you a rock solid server at a much lower price.

It's not about wether or not my RAID card or network adapter has native support - they all do. This is relatively mainstream hardware after all - IBM. My issue is that things like the hardware monitoring, proprietary LOM, and driver installers are all basically Win or Linux when they come from IBM.

I'm curious if there is another manufacturer that does support FreeBSD. I appreciate your time but I wasn't asking whether or not I needed it. I also own this hardware already so I'm not shopping for a generic server right now.

Originally posted by dgoss
    It's not about wether or not my RAID card or network adapter has native support - they all do. This is relatively mainstream hardware after all - IBM. My issue is that things like the hardware monitoring, proprietary LOM, and driver installers are all basically Win or Linux when they come from IBM.

I'm curious if there is another manufacturer that does support FreeBSD. I appreciate your time but I wasn't asking whether or not I needed it. I also own this hardware already so I'm not shopping for a generic server right now.
    HP might.. I'm not entirely sure. Dell DRAC cards weren't supported last time I checked.

Really the big buzz right now is around Linux.

Thank you for the tip, I'll check it out for down the road. Yeah, you're absolutely right re: the Linux buzz. I'm all for their glory but so far BSD has really been closer to what I want to do. I've been also flirting with putting it up for a while (Linux) and checking it out - my experience is all Solaris and then xBSD.

Thank you.