Woohoo! Centos download complete! Over dialup, no less. :)

Hi!
    Well...I am delighted to report that the "impossible" job of downloading a complete distro via dialup is finished.

4 ISOs-2.06GB total.

Would I do it again? No.

I am truly impressed with the bittorrent client. I tested it before trying this..and it passed every test...even the imfamous "Lose power test" to make sure it could recover and start back again where it started.

No..next time I'll buy the CDs, thank you very much. I did have to show some people who "can't understand" how people can cope with dialup these days...do quite well. I download 200-400MB weekly..no problems. You must have a good client on your end...and verifiy that it can resume the download. I've had cases where it said the server could not resume..and it could. I've had it tell me it could..and it cannot.

Most of the monster downloads from Unca Bill (Microsoft) and other biggies (Oracle, Sun, IBM) are resumable with a client like I use. When I'm not using bittorrent..I'm using getright.

Wheeee!

Bryon

Did you do the checksum :-p

lol how long it took you to download all 4 CDs ?

Hi!
    Of course I did the checksums! Everything is correct.

Time? Hmm..I think about two weeks.

Bryon

depends which os you are running. i never tried nix that must for these purposes, but say 98 vs 2000 you could see a huge difference. 5vs 7kb a sec easily.
    --
    Rich

how much did bittorrent upload from your machine while you were downloading the iso ?

Hi!
    Jhosts-the download was done mostly while I slept. The connection was dropped many times...so...I would say in some 24 hour periods...it was only downloaded 1/4 that..sometimes less..sometimes not at all..sometimes more than that. There was no rush at all.

Oh! I see now! No..the 200-400MB is what I typically download every week of other stuff with the other computer.

It was just one of those "You can't do that..impossible" challenges I like to put to bed in short order.

It uploaded 1-2K/sec as it downloaded 3-4K second. To be honest..I didn't watch it much.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 05-28-2005 at 10:20 PM.

I must say I'm impressed. You have an incredible amount of patience, and never will I moan 5 hours to complete all 3 CentOS ISO's is too much
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Hi!
    Thanks Jeff. Where I live now is the serious sticks...I mean...*serious*.

No DSL..no hope for DSL. No Cable..no hope for cable. No wireless data-although Sprint tried to sell me a data card that would not work (as expected). Sat is expensive and unreliable. So..the only option is a T1...and I'm going to have Sprint bring two business lines in shortly..and that will suit me fine until I can honestly come up with some serious excuse to bring a T1 in here.

All Hail the mighty Pen-Guin!

Bryon

1-2K/s! I forgot about the dialup days, now I'm used to 500-600K/s with my Comcast cable! I can't imagine living with dialup, I'd never move somewhere where that was the only choice.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

a few years ago i downloaded a ps1 game on dialup, it took 2 weeks to get 750mb but that was not 24/7 i used to get 2 15mb rars in a 2 hour slot but that was downloading from a pub and it was before bittorrent existed. Would i do it again errr no it was a git waiting but i felt great when it was done.

Takes an hour now to get 750mb on my connection but i still dont use bittorrent because i dont like it.

The only thing i didnt like about d/ling with dialup was the fact i could not do anything else like surf due to the download using all 4.6KBs of my available bandwidth.

Hi!
    Well..Sprint has been lying about DSL availability since day one..so..I can deal.

Bryon

I wont be able to survive with dialup. Im used to 400/500mb in an hour so the entire cent os overnight.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

Wow and I thought I was patient. Good job.

I enjoy downloading big files as I can get 365kb/s or so. All good fun. If I had to go back to dialup, I'd pull my hair out. I probably download around 1GB-2GB on average per week when I'm not very busy, so 56k would be aggrevating. Not to mention online gaming would suck .
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>