Is url_rewriting really interesting

Hi everyone,

I'm a french webmaster of a pretty great website and running on a Xoops's fork ... called e-xoops

I ask the question, is url rewriting really a great thing for a website and for teh search engine ?

Have you noticed many changes before and after you url_rewrted your forum, or your forum ?

Thanks a lot

no, not really. it's not how you site works, it's the content you have.

it's all very well having a good page rank but if people don't find what they're looking for they'll never come back.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Well I know content is really important ... moreover it's the main reason why ppl came back (or don't) to my website ... but I'm talking about web referencing ( not sure of that word :-/ ) ...

I read many articles about the difficulty - for some web search engine - to record some complex url and therefore the url_rewriting Apache mod was describe as the best tool to increase and/or improve the referencing of a website

no ? :-P

The search engine view is talking about when your pages are something like: page.php?blah=foo&bar=193872439823408&spam=soie_dksuoi_&eggs=28u238u2o3

In that case, search engines don't like you too much, so rewriting the url is a good choice.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

thanks

any opinions ?

only 2 ppl have heard about url rewriting here ? :-?