How to find a reliable host

The website hosting business is very competitive these days with hundreds of thousands of reliable hosting companies out there but what company is best for your needs and that will provide you with a reliable hosting service from customer support to the reliability of there web servers.

The following is what is the most important aspects you need to consider when choosing a web hosting provider:

1) Customer Service

Customer service is a very important aspect of any host if not the most important you will need to check there reliability by:

∑ Seeing if they have a 24 hour contact phone number

∑ FAQ section on there website to help you with the most common questions such as what are name servers?

∑ Ticket support to answer any non urgent questions that you might have

∑ Live support isnít essential but it is useful for quick help

2) Servers

The serer are the most important part of a web host since without them they can be a host.

Here are some useful tips for finding a fast reliable server to host your site:

∑ The processor speed (CPU) e.g. Intel Pentium 2.8ghz (anything over 1.5ghz is sufficient)

∑ Memory (RAM) at least 512mb of ram

∑ Space this will all depend on your website needs if you are just starting at least 500mb is enough

∑ Bandwidth this will all depend on how many visitors your planning to visit your site in any given month. I would say that 5000mb will be more than sufficient for any small website.

∑ Operating system Ė Linux is the better and cheaper option for any website and is said to be better than windows in a web server environment. But if you are required to use any windows scripts such as .asp you will need to use the windows server

3) Customer Testimonials

See if other customers have voted for the web host on popular hosting directories or have made comments on the services that are offered by the host on there website.

These are the most important aspects that people look for in finding a web hosting provider these days and donít be afraid to pay a bit more than other companies as this usually reflects the service they offer but also don be fooled.

Good work! I might add that item 3) is really the top one IMHO.

Also, I am not convinced that 24/7 phone support is essential; 24/7 email support may work fine in my experience (I never use the phone to get in touch with my web hosts) - I find it easier to explain in writing what I have on my mind when it is a technical issue.
    Web Hosting Reviews ó based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Good job.

I would also add that a high quality data center with good environmentals, UPS, generator backup, are important.

Number of connections and capacity to the internet backbone is key.

Customer testimonials can be a bit deceiving even in the best forums but they certainly help.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Customer testimonials can be a bit deceiving even in the best forums but they certainly help.
    There is some truth to that. However, compared to some top hosts sites out there, forums are by far the better tool to use.

Generally the greatest danger is that of buying services that are much too cheap. Expecting too much from them can also lead to severe cases of... unhappiness.

I'd have to say the greatest danger is purchasing hosting without researching the company and not sending in sales inquiries. I don't know about others but I actually like answering those silly pre-sales questions.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

#2 is not correct.

It really depends on the type of sites and number of sites that are on a server. Hardware specs should be dependant on those 2 issues only. Would you go with a host that had the type of server you quoted if they crammed 5000 busy message board sites onto it? Of course not. The server probably wouldn't even run. On the other hand, if you had a very small/lightly visited/static site and was offered a 1 ghz machine with no other customers on it for $10 a month, from a reputable host, would you turn it down? Heck no!

--Tina

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Although well-intentioned, I think the post is misinforming and incorrect with the exception of a few points.

I agree with your comments on the support and contact, but that's about where it ends.

Your comments on server and connectivity were pretty much covered by AH-Tina except for the Linux vs Windows argument that has been beat to death. Each has it's own place and each is better than the other 'in a web server environment' depending upon the site.

Customer testimonials and ratings on popular hosting directories are notoriously misleading. As ldcdc stated, forums (and not the hosting companies OWN forums) are the best places to find reliable reviews. Unfortunately, there are very few 'review' sites that are unbiased and outright incorrect.

I might disagree with you on a few key points, but don't take it personally...It's great that you are encouraging research and diligence in finding a reliable host. I wish more people felt the way you do.

Those are not "the" most important things in choosing a host. Those are the most important things to you in finding a host. Mine would be researching the company fully and not buying hosting from hosts who seem to spend all their time on forums like this.

Originally posted by pixelized
    I'd have to say the greatest danger is purchasing hosting without researching the company and not sending in sales inquiries. I don't know about others but I actually like answering those silly pre-sales questions.
    i agree it gives you a chance to get to know your cliants

Originally posted by ReasonSinger
    Those are not "the" most important things in choosing a host. Those are the most important things to you in finding a host. Mine would be researching the company fully and not buying hosting from hosts who seem to spend all their time on forums like this.
    Although I donít know much about how a hosting company operates, since my only connection with hosting companies is as a customer, I can see anything bad in having webmasters participating in those forums.

It helps and informs the people; also it can be a cheap advertisement, which is not bad for as (the customers) because if they do only expensive marketing then this will raise what we pay for hosting.

Now, what I have post is simple steps that i follow. For other people may be other things, but in general thats it.

Originally posted by ReasonSinger
    What's wrong with hosting companies that spend a lot of time here. Is it now wrong to be active in the largest community of the the industry that you are in?

And I also have to disagree with points 2 and 3. Server specs really vary upon many factors, and customer testimonials are sometimes fake, and you will never see a negative testimonial on a website, even if they have tons of unhappy customers. I've seen hosting templates before that come with true sounding testimonials!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth