Exclamation PayPal Scam! Tricked

Information Regarding Your account:
    Dear PayPal Member:

Attention! Your PayPal account has been violated!

Someone with ip address xxxxxxxxxxx tried to access your personal account!

Please click the link below and enter your account information on the following page to confirm that you are not currently away. You have 3 days to confirm account information or your account will be locked.

Click here to update your PayPal account

You can also confirm your email address by logging into your PayPal account at Click on the "Confirm email" link in the Activate Account box and then enter this confirmation number: 1036-8535-4511-9500-3892

Thank you for using PayPal!
    The PayPal Team
    This is ridiculous! I thought it's really someone tried to access my paypal account because of paypal template, exactly same I've seen. I had to read carefully to make sure if it is real paypal company or not. From my mouse hover on "Click here to update your PayPal account" link and saw the web address which is showing ip address in statusbar. Finally I found its scam! Lucky I didn't click this link to enter my user/pass.

***Whoever have this same message, ignore it!***
    Last edited by TRIBOLIS; 05-28-2005 at 03:03 AM.

Thank you very much for the warning!

But I was wondering what email address did this scammer use to send you this email?

i have more than ten o e-mails like that, Recently paypal had a message on the website about this. If you want to visit a link from e-mail never click on it, type the URL in the browser.

Castle Pines, CO
    Check out Email Phishing Test for a little more information.

I get some from banks that I have never even heard of - plus they Paypal ones are never addressed to my Paypal email address

West Yorkshire
    You should never click links in any emails like this. If you are concerned that the email is real then just log in to Paypal or where ever and there will be a notice about any problems.
    -- Matthew

If it goes to another site other than the intended website, close it down. If you look at the source code of the email it will direct you over usually to an IP address or sometimes even a subdomain named

"If you are concerned that the email is real then just log in to Paypal"

Wrong but kind of because the email address can show the real one "[email protected]" with fake link in message, don't log in. Remember always use your mouse hover on link and see "" in statusbar so its real but if it shows you "http://xxxxxx/ (xxxxx = ip address), its fake/scam.

"But I was wondering what email address did this scammer use to send you this email?"

It's [email protected]

Note: Real paypal never say "Dear PayPal Member", only your full name.

Here is what I do when I receive these (about once every two weeks).

1. Mouseover the links and view the url in the status bar at the bottom of the email program- it always points somewhere else.

2. Do View>>Options and copy the email headers.

3. Click to forward the email and then paste the headers into the new email.

4. Send it to [email protected] which is the address to send this type of thing to for them to investigate.

I always do this as soon as I receive the email. Paypal also respond indicating whether its a phishing email not sent by them(which it always is).

If you were in any way unsure about the email then send it to this address and they will let you know whether its dodgy. They do this within a very short time, day or night.

Groton, Connecticut
    When paypal sends u a email, they'll put

Dear "Your Name" / "Business Mame"

They'll never put, Dear Paypal Member/Customer

In email response paypal is very slow.

Thumbs down

Paypal itself is a scammer's haven. I would never use them to pay/receive any money. It's sooo easy to commit fraud using Paypal (the REAL one).

If you are unsure about such emails, go to your account settings and disable that Paypal sends you any emails. Should they anyway send you one (or a scammer), forward the email to [email protected] They will usually respond within minutes and tell you if the email is legit from them or a scam. Then you can basically be safe.

However, I would simply always go to to log into your account, this way you can be somewhat sure ts legit.

I got one of those e-mails also, the only thing was that it did'nt go to my paypal e-mail address..