Exclamation Just watched the apartments across the road burn down

Well not entirely, but a good 1/4 of the building that sits about 100 yards away.

I was sitting here reading Fark when I smelt smoke, then heard sirens. Given I didn't hear own fire alarm go off in the building we're in I looked out the window.

Sure enough there was smoke billowing up from over the road. Within a minute the front of place lit up like a BBQ.

When we first moved here I'd considered that block of apartments but figured it looked a little too 'low rent' for my tastes. Glad I did now. It seems there was very little keeping the fire in the apartment it started in.

From what I can tell no-one was hurt (at least I hope not). Lots of fire trucks still around, police, and people who I suppose used to live in that place. Everything stinks of smoke as we were directly downwind. Quite a few people starting a crappy weekend.

My five year old thought it was kind of exciting.

*update*
    Seems it started as a grease fire
    */update*
    Last edited by akashik; 05-28-2005 at 12:22 AM.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Crikey. Was anyone hurt?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

akashik whereabouts was this? I don't see anything on the local news sites about it.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Outside Lakewood, WA (near Tacoma)

Bob:
    I don't think so. Bad news like that tends to travel pretty quick.

Greg, do they have fire alarm systems in those apartments?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Greg, do they have fire alarm systems in those apartments?
    Fire alarms are mandatory here, and the fire department comes to check once a year and make sure they're working (not sure if they do up there in Washington, though). They even test the battery to make sure and see how charged it is and if you don't have one, they'll install one free of charge. By law, the people have to have working fire alarms. It's also in the code book in most places, so, I'm pretty sure they had them..

Also glad to hear no one was hurt.

My apartment block has a great set of fire alarms. They went off last week when one of the hall lights (fluro tube) died and smoked. About five months ago someone on the third floor had a grease fire (same as what happened across the road) and everything was fine - the fire never left that apartment due to the way the building is insulated.

Our unit has three smoke detectors, wired into the main system. If one goes off, then they all go off, including the sirens in the hallways.

However...

With a population this vast (260 million) in the same land mass as Australia (26 million), I've found there's a lot of 'missed opportunities' when it comes to regulation. What we consider the 'norm' in Australia tends to be severely lacking in the US. Whether it be 'bad food' at grocery stores, or fire alarms in apartment buildings (we remember them as 'units' back in Oz) there's a lot of "didn't get around to it" thinking here.

Living in the US is pretty neat (to use some local slang), but I tell you... Oz, and they way we all keep a tight lid on things, is something to be appreciated.