Question Need help picking a colocation...

Well I know nothing about colocation. I know how it works and stuff but not about prices. I need something in Chicago, Illinois. If you can explain to me about the Bandwidth pricing ways and stuff that would be great. Cause I see $40 for 1userver. That is cheap. But no bandwidth im guesing? Im going to be hosting a gameserver company, and webhosting. If you can help me pick whats right that would be GREAT!

Bandwidth is usually calculated using 95th percentile. There are a few exceptions such as capped connections and average billing. If your provider quotes you a price for 1Mbit of bandwidth its most often calculated on 95th percentile. Of course you will need to check.

Stuart
    | BlueWave Communications Ltd - The Island's Communications Provider
    | URL: http://www.bwc.im/ AS: 201898
    | Jersey | Guernsey | Isle of Man

That pricing you see is most likely for the rack space. You will still have to commit to a certain level of bandwidth to add to that.

For chicago gameserver hosting, I'd definately look into colocation with www.steadfastnetworks.com. And use their premium network...your game server clients will love the network.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

Re: Need help picking a colocation...

Originally posted by wasd
    Well I know nothing about colocation. I know how it works and stuff but not about prices. I need something in Chicago, Illinois. If you can explain to me about the Bandwidth pricing ways and stuff that would be great. Cause I see $40 for 1userver. That is cheap. But no bandwidth im guesing? Im going to be hosting a gameserver company, and webhosting. If you can help me pick whats right that would be GREAT!
    Game server requires a low latency bandwidth and Chicago seems to be a very good place to put a game server. It's right in the middle of the US.

Depending on your usage, the bandwidth will normally average between 1mbps-2mbps per month.

Hope this helps.
    Reyner Natahamidjaja
    :: Global IP Networks - Tier 3 Data Center and Managed IT Solutions
    :: SSAE 16 SOC-2, PCI and HIPAA Compliant
    :: https://gipnetworks.com

hmm

So at steadfastnetworks. its $35 for the 1u server. and he said I would need 1-2mbps. I would have to pay $90 for 1mbps and then for 2mbps $180?

Regarding your bandwidth, you will want to review a coupe of options. One, does the colo provider offer this option? If so, is it multi-homed or single homed. A single homed bandwidth solution means if the connection is dropped you just lost your link to the outside world. With Multi-Homed bandwidth, your connection is being provided through two or more service providers on an internet backbone so if one connection is lost then you are still up and running. Obviously, there is a price difference. Good Luck

you amy also want to check out servercentral.net (in equinix), coloquest (L3) and cifNET (in S&D). All are good chicago options as well.

Check out Reyner above - he just picked up InterNAP bandwidth in Chicago
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

chicago is well lit, you shouldnt have a problem finding a solution. Have you looked at http://colocation.com/ ? its a listing of providers in specific locations
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com