Is it common that Webhost uses Passive FTP?

So far i have used 3 Webhost and none of them uses Passive Mode for FTP.

Since 3 is a small number compare to thousands of webhost out there. I am wondering if Passive FTP is common or not.

I know we have the passive FTP option for our customers.... I wonder why other hosts dont use it.
    Jamie
    RadicalV.com High Velocity Hosting Services - Since 1999
    Hsphere Linux & Windows Hosting ~ Automated Reseller Plans ~ EasyApp Collection

Just to be more precise, when i mention Passive FTP i am referring to PASV Mode for Server IP.

And this mode required the use of another port number.

According to SmartFTP. It is useful for server with NAT or non-routable IP.

The reason i amasking is because some people behind firewall ( or Network with port blocking ) could not use these FTP servers. So i am wondering if it is quite common in the web hosting industry.

All C-Panel providers should be able to support it out of the box. It could however to be with remote firewall configuration

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

bump and push

Passive mode of transfer for files through FTP is common in webhosting industry. There are some few hosts who allows the file transfer without the passive mode of file transfer. But more or less it is useful and secured to use Passive mode of file transfer.

I only allow passive, because I don't like active mode with all it's ports. It's a pain in the ***.

All our servers are configured to work on passive mode. The plus points is that it is more secure. The negative points is that it can be quite a hassle to make it work properly with firewalls especially since the client side will typically have to configure their ftp clients to use certian ports.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Thx for the information. The last 3 post 's information is very valuable. Although i got a warning point for bumping.

So it seems i was simply lucky enough to have my previous 2 host not use passive mode. Coz i can access my FTp account with the current network i am on.

While it was the first time i get blocked.

I am using solidinternet if any one is interested.

well we allow both modes actually. It's just that as mentioned, it's better to use passive as it's slightly more secure as the connection port is random unlike in active mode where it is predictable and can allow anyone with a sniffer to sniff your passwords by just placing a sniffer on port 20.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |