Any SBC Yahoo DSL Customers Around?

I'm gonna be getting SBC Yahoo DSL pretty soon, and i'm interested in hearing some reviews from existing customers.

I do have a few questions

1) Does SBC utilize a data transfer quota method? Has your account ever been shut off due to too much bandwidth using?

2) Does SBC Block any ports?

3) How often are service outages?

4) What kind of speed do you get with the plan you are subscribed to?

5) Is there a connection time cap?

I asked the SBC Sales lady, but she didn't seem to know anything.

Re: Any SBC Yahoo DSL Customers Around?

Originally posted by mikeylove
    2) Does SBC Block any ports?
    I think they're blocking port 25 (SMTP) now. You may be able to get your addresses whitelisted though.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I have SBC Yahoo! DSL Pro package in CT

1) I download a lot and have yet to been told to stop.
    2) Im not posative about what ports they block, but im almost postative they block 80
    3) I have yet to have an outage. I have had DSL for about 2 years.
    4) I have the 3meg package and get about 2.5Mbit. When I had the 1.5meg package I got about 1.2Mbit.
    5) There are no connection time caps.

Mike,

I have been using them just over a year now. I would highly recommend them. Here are answers to your questions.

1. They have never warned me about my usage, and I have hit several hundred GB's many months. Unlike cable modem providers, you are not on a shared connection in your neighborhood. You should be able to push your connection full time, up to your speed limits.

2. Yes, port 25, but you can submit a request to the abuse department, and they will open it up for you.

3. I have not had a single service outage in 13 months.

4. I am on the pro package and am supposed to get 1.5-3.0Mbps down and 384-512 up. I am almost always getting near top speeds, up and down.

5. It's a full time connection, you are not disconnected for inactivity.

Hope this helps. SBC sales are clueless, but second level DSL support rocks.

I wish that SBC would move into my area, but the last time I called in june the nearest switch was 25,000 ft away.
    Kerry Jones

I've had a lot of trouble with SBC. We upgraded to the 3Mbit package, and are still getting 0.5Mbit. Any attempts to reason with customer service have failed...most of the time I end up yelling at someone in India after they've told me to do the exact same thing that someone else told me to do.

I'd take comcast if I had the choice.

I haven't tried it. Based on my past experiences with Yahoo hosting and registry I have low expectations for their customer service.

baronvonwalz,

I've used SBC services for many years, and yes I will agree that at times, their support is challenging, I have never reached an overseas support person, always local. Do you have DSL filters an all devices hooked up to your phone lines? What type of throughput do you get at their speed test site?

http://support.sbcglobal.net/dsl/speedtest/

Disgruntled,
    It is only Yahoo branded, it is SBC infrastructure and support all the way, good or bad.