Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Re: Re: Re: I found some more on this

Originally posted by TalkMilitary
    High Horse? Not stealing? You gotta be kidding me?
    Those that stole it got to see it for free, right?
    You are normally charged $$ to see it... and a portion of that fee goes to the creators of the film (that is why they go to the trouble of making these fils.. profit!)

Those that downloaded it and watched it did so illegaly and stole a copy. To me, it is black and white. Either pay to see it and be within the law, or STEAL it and suffer the potential consequences. No other way about it.

Should Lucas and the MPAA seal up their leaks? Sure. But as long as theifs are around (within and out), leaks will happen. They do pursue those leaks. But that does not mean it is OK to steal their work.
    If I go into walmart and take a DVD without paying for it, it's stealing. It cost someone money to produce that physical copy of the movie, and they could have sold that specific copy to someone else. If I download a copy of the DVD online, I infringed upon their copyright of their movie, their intellectual property. I did not take a physical copy that cost them money to make.
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I found some more on this

Originally posted by ChaosHosting
    If I go into walmart and take a DVD without paying for it, it's stealing. It cost someone money to produce that physical copy of the movie, and they could have sold that specific copy to someone else. If I download a copy of the DVD online, I infringed upon their copyright of their movie, their intellectual property. I did not take a physical copy that cost them money to make.
    Good luck with that.
    Since you do not sell a physical copy of yor web site at walmart, it is ok to steal that design and use it too? Oh wait, that is just copyright stuff.... not stealing.
    Last edited by Fair Dinkum; 05-28-2005 at 08:13 PM.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

The only question I have is this... Is it copyright infringement to use elite torrents' logo on the website they made? It is just a thought I had.

On another note, I have to say that I completely agree that this is stealing. Studios pay a lot of moeny to produce these films--the physical package costs normally are negligible. When you go to WalMart to buy a DVD you aren't paying for the duplication, otherwise Adobe photoshop would cost a couple of bucks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I found some more on this

Good luck with that.
    Since you do not sell a physical copy of yor web site at walmart, it is ok to steal that design and use it too? Oh wait, that is just copyright stuff.... not stealing.
    I don't have a website, and if I did, people ripping it wouldn't be my foremost concern. I will have "good luck with that."
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I found some more on this

It is still stealing! You know that it costs money and you're "taking" an illegal copy... All involved in "the chain" are guilty of theft.

I don't think the main point here is questioning if the crime was copyright infringement or theft...maybe it was both.
    The main point here is - don't host or participate in the spreading of things you shouldn't be spreading over the Internet. You may get caught and look like an idiot.

Is it copyright infringement to use elite torrents' logo on the website they made?
    LOL. I suppose it is.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Speaking as someone who actually understands copyright law, no it isn't.
    So far I have not needed to make 31 posts thanks to the search function.

It's completely dumb to do such thing, I saw star wars in a theater and Im buying cds of my favorite bands. If all shits weren't that f*ckin expensive we wouldn't download that much.

The problem start with the big companies, not with the little guy around the corner working at McDonald..

*my two cents*
    PutFile.io — Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

Great News! Stopping theives is not all that bad.

I am sure others will not agree. No worries... Criminals usually end up getting nailed.
    what does that make the industry insiders distributing a lot of the stuff leaking out into public?
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

Re: Re: Re: I found some more on this

It is still stealing..... .

Get off your high horse, it isn't stealing, it is copyright infringement, both are illegal. Whether they are morally wrong is a debate for another thread. Maybe instead of going after the site that posts it, they should go after the Lucas employee who leaked the film? It was a workprint, it had elapsed time rolling across the top, and it was released before the film was. This means it is almost surely someone who works for Lucas that leaked the film.

piracy is big business the world over, shutting down a few torrent sites is going to do nothing to stop it
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

they deserved to be shut down! alot of time and money (ALOT of money) is put into making these films..

piracy is big business the world over, shutting down a few torrent sites is going to do nothing to stop it
    It does something.

Well done FBI I will admit that I used to download a few movies and 'aquire' some software but now that I have a good job I just buy it
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com

As far as piracy concerns.. And you ChaosHosting.. All I can say is

"The man with denial, is probably the problem."

It is illegal to make copies of and distribute a product, unless the product states so in the EULA..

If you can't understand that when you're clicking the download file button, then you are just as guilty as the fool that put it on his server.

I am happy to see these morons go down..

It's completely dumb to do such thing, I saw star wars in a theater and Im buying cds of my favorite bands. If all shits weren't that f*ckin expensive we wouldn't download that much.

The problem start with the big companies, not with the little guy around the corner working at McDonald..

*my two cents*
    They wouldn't be expensive if you (since you said "we", I guess that makes you a pirater) would stop downloading illegal copies and making companies have to raise prices to recoup losses.

I think they need to put stiffer fines on these laws, like 20 to Life.

You KNOW what you are doing, minutes before you do it. You can't plead insanity, you can't plead it was your little brother, you just can't.

It's an open and shut case, and I hope the dude gets as much as the system will allow. And I hope all those that download that piracy crap will get the punishment they deserve also.

Are you nuts ? 20 to life for downloading a movie ?

If you kill someone in the process maybe, otherwise come on...Do you really want to make downloading a movie just as bad as killing someone?

Originally posted by ScreamingEaglePC
    They wouldn't be expensive if you (since you said "we", I guess that makes you a pirater) would stop downloading illegal copies and making companies have to raise prices to recoup losses.
    Prices have for CDs have actually decreased in the past 8 years rather than increased. If downloading stopped, the monopoly would continue, and prices would rise again.

As well, I have to raise the argument that; why must actors/actresses/musicians make millions of dollars? People like this that make such massive money for so little work is ridiculous (eg. Millions per movie). I agree, their job is probably tough, but certainly not as tough as the doctor, firefighter, or cop who downloads this stuff.
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

Originally posted by cwatson
    Prices have for CDs have actually decreased in the past 8 years rather than increased. If downloading stopped, the monopoly would continue, and prices would rise again.

As well, I have to raise the argument that; why must actors/actresses/musicians make millions of dollars? People like this that make such massive money for so little work is ridiculous (eg. Millions per movie). I agree, their job is probably tough, but certainly not as tough as the doctor, firefighter, or cop who downloads this stuff.
    Actually not all actors/actresses/musicians make millions. Most actors eke out a pretty meager--and inconsistent--living. The ones who make millions are the ones (surprise) whose presence in a movie ensures that it will make millions of dollars. Once their public appeal declines, so does their pay and amount of roles they are offered.

If you have a movie starring Tom Hanks, it is guaranteed to make a certain level of money. Take the exact same film, but give the lead role to a different actor of similar talents, and that guarantee is gone. Since the presence of Tom Hanks is what makes the money, who else should the money go to?

P.S. These overpaid people also happen to be (on average) a lot more philanthropic than your average citizen, giving away millions to charity.

I'm not saying eliminate the gap alltogether, just roll it back. Give it a salary cap like the NHL is trying (failing) to do.
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

My 0.02 or so on this:
    Episode 3 was a great movie, seriously. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have made the millions it already HAS at the theaters.
    While I don't condone theft, there's a problem with logic here, seriously.

Firstly, I've been to see the movie, and probably will go to see it at least 2-3 more times in the theatre. I own the other 5 on DVD, and when this one comes out, I will most DEFINITELY buy it. Seeing htis movie in the theatres is an experience in and of itself, nothing can even come close to it. No workprint, no "home dvd", nothing of that. Maybe (maybe) when they release the 3rd dvd, it'll come close, not sure though.

That said:
    The workprint copy that was released to the world was absolute and total trash. Has anyone here even SEEN a workprint release? It's annoying as crap to have to look through those damn numbers (even the releases with them smudged out just suck totally). The ONLY release I've gotten online (yes, I do have a copy) that actually was worth it was about 3g to download, and the print was in some strange language (the scrolling text, etc).

Am -=I=- stealing something? Not at all. Having a copy of this won't make one bit of difference on whether or not I see the movie in theatre again, nor will it make one bit of difference on whether or not I buy the dvd (that's already a given). I don't consider that theft whatsoever.

Also, remember that this movie isn't released the same time everywhere. So, what, those overseas have to wait months until the people get off their tail ends to see it? That's just an unacceptable answer there.

In addition, remember, once this leaves theatres, we're looking at at LEAST 6 months before it comes out on DVD. What then? No more ep3? C'mon, that's not realistic at all.

Did Lucas lose money on this? No doubt? Whos fault was it that it was leaked in the first place? OBVIOUSLY it was leaked by someone in the know, someone that had a copy of it legally. The blame should be placed where it's due, on the individual LEAKING it, not the individuals feeding the hungry crowds.

As an aside:
    I'm glad ET got shut down, they're about as ridiculous as Loki was. Obviously it takes money to run a site, but when the owners of that site treat the donators like complete trash, well, that's just wrong.

Torrents are good, p2p is good, but it's got to be moderated.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

If it wasn't, it wouldn't have made the millions it already HAS at the theaters.
    Not neccessarially true - the latest star trek movie was the best they had done - and easily some of the best acting i'd seen (of course that is my opinion ). However, it didn't do well in cinemas - did superbly in dvd sales though.

It's annoying as crap to have to look through those damn numbers
    Out of interest - why do they put them there?

So, what, those overseas have to wait months until the people get off their tail ends to see it? That's just an unacceptable answer there.
    Could easily be they're waiting for the right time to release it.

Did Lucas lose money on this? No doubt? Whos fault was it that it was leaked in the first place?
    We've already discussed this at length - just because they've got a leak doesn't mean you should help to cause more problems by downloading illegal copies.

Am -=I=- stealing something?
    Definately -- if you're not sure - ring the FBI, tell them what you've done, give them your address etc, then wait a few hours to see.

Not at all. Having a copy of this won't make one bit of difference on whether or not I see the movie in theatre again, nor will it make one bit of difference on whether or not I buy the dvd (that's already a given). I don't consider that theft whatsoever.
    All I can say is that's an 'in denial' view. Wait for the DVD if you want a copy at home. It's not about what difference it makes - it's still illegal. And also - one very important point - regardless of whether you consider it to be theft or not - it still is.

My Grandmother could make a nicer looking site like that...and she's dead! I think I saw this site/another, I was going to download it, then I realised I had only just watched it a few hours earler

torrents are great. I've got all of the candaian series, Trailer Park Boys...which you can't buy over her in the UK..
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Out of interest - why do they put them there?
    That's an industry thing. The theatre releases (most likely) don't have that. If they do, they're obviously removed by the projectors/equipment. Why are they there? Ever tried to do any editing? I have, and it's not easy. With the frames up there, or the time, it makes things a LOT easier to go through and cut crap out. Of course, that's just my speculation, but that'd be my guess.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Originally posted by linux-tech
    That's an industry thing. The theatre releases (most likely) don't have that. If they do, they're obviously removed by the projectors/equipment. Why are they there? Ever tried to do any editing? I have, and it's not easy. With the frames up there, or the time, it makes things a LOT easier to go through and cut crap out. Of course, that's just my speculation, but that'd be my guess.
    Ah - could well be.

I've tried editing but never thought of doing something like that.

The only thing that I really want to comment on this is, I find it quite odd the Department of Homeland Security was heading this investigation. This sounds like "someone" or "a very influential group" got angry and wanted some heads. So the DoHS jumped onto the boat.

Oh yes, I think its stealing.. but I really do not think its all so bad and horrible.. not really. Would I personally download music, or movies on-line.. no, that isn't something I would care to do.

The biggest reason I would not want to download Star Wars Episode 3, isn't because its illegal.. because i'd rather see if in the theatres.. with the people.... the sounds.. the atmosphere
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12