Thread: Dedicated IP`s

Dedicated IP`s

In my quest to find the reseller account of my dreams, it seems many offer reseller packages slightly cheaper but they do not have a dedicated IP.

What are the benefits of a reseller package with a dedicated IP? I have around 6 sites that I intend to host, so I`m wondering why would I be better with a dedicated IP?

Dedicated IP's allow you to set your own private nameservers. Additionally, if you have any clients that need SSL or anonymous FTP, you will need dedicated IP's. If your host doesnt provide them, then you will need to purchase them once you have the requirement. Its not a bad thing if they arent offered, just make sure you understand how much they will cost with each host you are looking at in case you need them in the future...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

The biggest advantage, as CartikaHosting said, is private nameservers. If the host does it right, it will help them remain completely anonymous. This means if someone knows what they're doing and look up where the server is and find out who it is, they could go around you if your host sells shared accounts as well. Remember, most of the time, they have cheaper hosting than you do!
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Talking Be careful

Im sure this has been mentioned before 1k times, but even if you get dedicated IPs....if your on a reseller acount you are probably sharing a server/ip address. You get "your"own name servers but so does everyone else on the same server - same IP. So forward lookups shows ur name servers but a reverse lookup show the server IP/name not yours. Because u dont have a real dedicated IP. The nameserver name is private but not its IP address. Also if u telnet to ur domain port 25 u will probably see the servers name not yours...

So one reason is to shield your reseller account from your network savy customers if you even worry about it..

Jamz..
    Last edited by jamz; 06-01-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Re: Be careful

Originally posted by jamz
    Im sure this has been mentioned before 1k times, but even if you get dedicated IPs....if your on a reseller acount you are probably sharing a server/ip address. You get "your"own name servers but so does everyone else on the same server - same IP. So forward lookups shows ur name servers but a reverse lookup show the server IP/name not yours. Because u dont have a real dedicated IP. The nameserver name is private but not its IP address. Also if u telnet to ur domain port 25 u will probably see the servers name not yours...

So one reason is to shield your reller account from your network savy customers if you even worry about it..

Jamz..
    Absolutely correct - however, even if all precautions are taken, usually the email headers tell the true story - it is difficult to be completely anonymous, especially to someone that really wants to find out who your provider is..
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

* Bummer!

I just discovered all of this today..signed up a few days ago with a company....being sort of a noob in the reseller side it never dawned on me why I wud care until I really thought about it..

Jamz..

Hi jamz,

Honestly, you really do not need to worry wnout this sort of thing in my opinion. The majority of customers do not care of you are reselling for someone - and the customers that do care, fully understand that everyone is reselling for someone (unless of course you have your own data center and your own bandwith contracts - which is 1) rare and 2) extremely expensive and usually comes at the expense of other factors)
    www.cartika.com

* Right!

Great minds think alike!

Jamz

Re: Right!

Originally posted by jamz
    Great minds think alike!

Jamz
    www.cartika.com

Originally posted by CartikaHosting
    Hi jamz,

Honestly, you really do not need to worry wnout this sort of thing in my opinion. The majority of customers do not care of you are reselling for someone - and the customers that do care, fully understand that everyone is reselling for someone (unless of course you have your own data center and your own bandwith contracts - which is 1) rare and 2) extremely expensive and usually comes at the expense of other factors)
    Just sort of a related question, how many *shared* hosting companies actually have their own datacenter?

Talking Good question..

I imagine its just a chain that works its way back to a Tier 1 provider:

A Tier 1 provider is a major provider of Internet bandwidth. AT&T, Sprint, IBM, and GTE, for example, are all Tier 1 providers. Most ISPs have a data center for colos. I imagine most are in a rack in a major players data center selling shared and dedicated..

They are all resellers ...

Jamz..
    Last edited by jamz; 06-01-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Ah, the age old question