San Jose/Market Post Tower

Hello, there,
    For a project of mine I am looking to get a cabinet or two in San Jose. I believe that right now I would prefer being in Market Post Tower, because of the lower per cabinet costs than in Equinix. Though does anyone know if Savvis and/or Level(3) are in the building?

The company would need to have on-site staff, as for this project we would not, most things would be handled over KVM-over-IP. I would rather pay lower pricing on cabinet space and have more exppensive higher end bandwidth, though we may be pulling in our own bandwidth, depending on the price and difficulty in doing so. Since we are at least looking to start with a smaller bandwidth commit though, we will likely be purchasing bandwidth from the colo provider.

I'm not too familiar with the West Coast as a whole, so any assistance in finding a place in the San Jose area would be good.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Do you need 24x7 on-site staff? If so, MPT themselves does not provide that, you will need to go with one of the hosting companies such as BCHosting. My L3 list shows that MPT is an extended demarc for L3, not an internal hand-off like Equinix or PAIX.

Other options in San Jose are
    Switch and Data -- 534 Stockton -- expensive cabinets, lots of bandwidth providers They do not have 24x7 staff, onsite is from 7 am to 5 pm L3 and Savvis is on-net. PAIX peering is available via cross-connect.

KDWeb - the original AboveNet -- 50 W San Fernando -- catty corner to MPT. Cheaper racks, 40 amps of power standard. Again, they do not have 24x7 staff. Dont show L3 as being there. PAIX metro peering is available.

AboveNet on First St. L3 has pop on 2nd st, you would need to get a DF cross-connect to there.

Is there possibly a 3rd party that could be contracted to do on-site work at MPT if needed that anyone is aware of?
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Savvis and Level (3) are also both in the L(3) DC @ 1380 Kifer Rd, Sunnyvale 94086. (right down the road from San Jose)

But I only see Sonet handoffs for Savvis at that location.

No 24/7 staff in L(3) DC, maybe someone on this form has support staff in that building.

I don't need L3 and Savvis, was just enquiring. I'd be fine with any stable and high quality networks.

I don't know what you think of Hurricane Electric, but they could possibly fulfill for your requirements.

You mention a cabinet, whereas HE - SJC utilizes open relay racks. Power limitations per rack may be an issue.

They do have a staff onsite 24/7. I think they are one of the few providers in the building which maintains a staff presence 24/7.
    Last edited by Lightwave; 05-28-2005 at 05:11 AM.

Lightbulb Reminder!

You could always go directly with the building. Pricing is very competitve.

Rob Tyree // Versaweb has a 24/7 preesnce there I believe
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

for bandwidth there, I would go with Mzima.

Many people are in this building probably should ask around. I have seen the CoopLabs and Peer1 space in 55 Market but many others are there too. Depends what you are after on a bandwidth level.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think Karl is looking for bandwidth AND 24/7 on-site support ....
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

Ya I think you are right. My comment was based on the fact their are varying tennents there based on what you need. Price Varies and support availablity does as well. (I don't think the 2 I mentioned have 24/7 staff there or atleast they didn't last I inquired but for what I was inquiring about it wasn't part of my requirements)

HE BW seems popular too by some of the smaller tennents but not knowing what Karl needs it for would depend on what is acceptable for that too.

Also 3rd party remote hands seems to be a popular post on the employment forum for that DC too. (I have an associate that lives in SJC so I didn't consider that)

If you are looking for only 3rd party support, you can contact Global Netoptex (GNI) - www.netoptex.com. You can ask for Derek, and tell him that Rob from Versaweb sent you. We use them for quite a few services, and have been pleased for the most part with most of their services. We also have a couple of other 3rd party support guys that do hardware type stuff for us as well, since GNI tends to be a bit pricey for that kind of work.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - SAS70 Type-II Colocation in Las Vegas and Seattle