FreeBSD or CentOS?

Hey
    I'm a newbie to servers as you might have guessed. Anyhow I'm gonna be using a lot of PHP/MySQL and we're going to be using Cpanel/WHM too. So basically these are the two choices of OS and I would like to have some opinions on what would be the best to get taking into account the usage.
    Are they both reliable and stable with php/mysql/cpanel etc?
    Easy to use etc.

Thanks for any input, I've seen these threads on the forums however most of them are just asking the general question of what is 'best'.

Re: FreeBSD or CentOS?

Originally posted by ChrisTGP
    Hey
    I'm a newbie to servers as you might have guessed. Anyhow I'm gonna be using a lot of PHP/MySQL and we're going to be using Cpanel/WHM too. So basically these are the two choices of OS and I would like to have some opinions on what would be the best to get taking into account the usage.
    Are they both reliable and stable with php/mysql/cpanel etc?
    Easy to use etc.

Thanks for any input, I've seen these threads on the forums however most of them are just asking the general question of what is 'best'.
    CentOS/RHEL is more mainstream. You will find more help along the way with this platform.

FreeBSD is a highly respected OS, but with less wide-spread appeal. It is known to be rock solid.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Although there are alot of "generalized" comparison threads, try looking at some of the older stuff and you'll get more technical comparisons.

I'm sure what you need has been posted a squillion times before

In my experience of using several machines with freebsd/cpanel I would strongly reccomend using centos instead. Cpanel has bsd support as an afterthought and quite often it is bugged (at least at a much higher frequency then the linux based builds are).
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

OK I'll think I'll go with CentOS. Sounds like it will be more suitable for me.

Have you considered which you have more experience administrating? If you have more experience with Linux than BSD-based OSes and will be the primary sysadmin, you should probably be swayed toward CentOS.

I think the CentOS is good.Because i use it myselfand feel very well.

I'd second a CentOS choice. Although *BSD might give you slightly better performance on the same hardware, CentOS is easier to administer.

you'll definitly have less problems with centOS.
    Ben S.

Definitely go with CentOS + CPanel, it's a solid combination.

Originally posted by Take-IT-EZZI
    If your goal is to learn, I suggest taking the time to learn BSD

The curve is a bit higher but in the end you'll have a faster and more stable system.
    good advice.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Thanks for the helpful advice. I heard before the BSD was slightly harder to learn but if it's not too stable with cpanel then I'd think I'd rather go with CentOS based on what most people have said.

CentOS 3.4 + cPanel is very stable. CentOS 4 is not supported yet.

Originally posted by funkytaco
    CentOS 3.4 + cPanel is very stable. CentOS 4 is not supported yet.
    Although I am currently successfully running a CentOS4 server with CPanel. I didn't configure it though, the DC/Provider configured it. Maybe they turned SELinux off or something.

If you take a look at cpanel.net, CentOS 4 is showing as supported now...
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

I've heard that with BSD, you need to compile all installations yourself, and with Centos, you can simply use packages to install applications.

FreeBSD is very easy to install package on, you simply cd into /usr/ports/category/package and then type make && make install.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

FreeBSD 5.4 latest release is not supported at all by CPanel.
    CentOS 4 latest release is supported by CPanel when selinux feature disabled.

So if you not going to install outdated release of FreeBSD, you have no choice other then install CentOS - because latest version is supported by CPanel.

Originally posted by w3bdesign
    I've heard that with BSD, you need to compile all installations yourself, and with Centos, you can simply use packages to install applications.
    Well yes and no.
    /usr/ports on FreeBSD "if instaled" has a lot of packages you can get that will help you get it done faster and apply any patches specific to freebsd.

ChrisTGP :

Linux has RPM and YUM package managers that plesk and cpanel both "probably" like a lot. So drop in packages are much easier to some peoples thinking?

FreeBSD is night and day different from Linux. FreeBSD and Linux debates can go on for years, but you can also look up how many kernel exploits in the last 12 months Linux has had vs. FreeBSD. You can also look at how well you are in file system hardening and overal system lockdown for security that doesn't interrupt the delivery of your customers content. There's a lot that can be put into answering your question from another persons point of view.

After all the comments have stopped flying at the end of the day the #1 question that needs answered to help you with your original question is:
    WHAT do you feel comfortable with and have the most experience with and can fix the fastest if something goes wrong. I honestly think that is where your answer is and not what I think you should do or someone else. My opinion should never reflect fact of your choice, ability or competance, and neither should anyone elses.

Originally posted by crucialx
    FreeBSD is very easy to install package on, you simply cd into /usr/ports/category/package and then type make && make install.
    dont forget 'make clean'

make install clean

no sense leaving loose garbage sitting around.