Need technical help

I have a dell dimension 2400 2.8ghz P4, 512RAM, 200W PSU.

Ok I just installed a Geforce 5200 FX PCI and my PC's performance had decreased dramatically! Before I used Intel Extreme.

I only have a 200W PSU but the graphics card needs a 300W or more PSU. Might this be the reason for my slow computer so my graphics card is draining too much power so there is not enougth for my CPU etc to run properly.

So do I need to get a better PSU?

Thanks
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com

I don't think that the PSU would affect system performance unless, somehow, it's not able to drive enough dc voltage to the CPU. Even if that is not the problem, it is not prudent to underpower a system if the system specs call for a more powerful PSU.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

So what do you think I should do? I am about to get another 512mb RAM and that will drain more power and it is going slow as it is so will it be a wise invesment to get an new PSU?

If you're going to keep any devices in your computer that need a 300W PSU then you should get one even if the issue might be resolved by some sort of software configuration problem. Even if your performance problem is solved without the PSU changing you really ought to properly power your system.
    Rich

Ok thanks for the advice. I will get myself a nice PSU.

So what software might I have to configure? I have already updated the drivers and all of that. I have disabled and uninstalled all of the intergrated graphics. What else needs to be done?

Bakie - I'm not really sure. It could be a bunch of things.

You might find some more people who can help you here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/categori...=32&entercat=y

Or at their peripheral forum. Anandtech is a great site for computer hardware stuff.
    Rich

Well, underpowering your system is not a good idea. I don't know how Dell designs their systems, but it might be that your processor has downstepped.

Most "average" desktop systems only come with the bare minimum wattage power supply, because the manufactureres don't expect their customers to start adding peripherals (the people who add peripherals, they usually know to get the biggest, fattest psu that they can cram in their case).

Anyway -- replace the PSU ASAP -- before you put in the RAM. One of the best places to get PSU and cooling related items is PC Power & Cooling.

I juust removed my gfx card from the case and now everything is running at full speed. What does this mean? Have i got a problem with my gfx card or is it my PSU?

The graphics card is fine. Most graphics cards these days have safety fatures that force them to clock down if there is not sufficient power. That said get yourself a nice better PSU and your system should work great with the new graphics card and RAM.

I don't really think you'll need to do a lot of configuring just make sure you connect the power supply to everything properly. This can get tricky if your a first time builder but as others have mentioned there's a wealth of information out there.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Antec are a good brand of power supplys, a new PS will give you more stability too, i have a 230W PSU in this rig, and i am no gamer at all, i have the cheapest components but i only use it for web browsing and its great, i find cheap PSU's are so noisy....arrrrgh!
    A power supply should sort it.
    Regards

2.8Ghz p4 will drain allot of power..... my motherboard manual states that with one hdd, 4 slots of memory, and a 3ghz processor, i should have a 400w power supply installed.

200w is VERY VERY under rated for your system.... a 2.8ghz p4 processor uses just under 100w on its own.

if you plan to go for a cheapy power supply.... then get a bit of overkill....

QTec, for example, over rate their power supplies. a QTec 400w power supply is NOT 400w

LET us know if it gets resolved and also let us know how you fixed it.
    * ´¨`*:·. .·:*´¨` * ~ X-Max ~ * ´¨`*:·. .·:*´¨` *
    I love Wikipedia.

When I read this thread, specifically the part that you have a 200W Power Supply my eyes went

Of course the problem is with your power supply. The psu is one of the most vital pieces of hardware in your computer. Clearly, nothing will work without it. Every single component in your case relies on on a stable current of power from the psu. I would ignore the 330W PS and go with a 400+W PSU.

Thats just what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help
    I have decidd to go with this one here:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...aCA_2d005_2dEN
    I am going to get a new PC in about 6 months so I will get a new PSU for that one and then give this one to my little brother.

The PSU if underpowered will definately slow down your computer, as all components are downclocked. However, verify all drivers are installed correctly additionally to purchasing a new power supply, as this can also slow your PC down dramatically
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Thanks, I have already checked all of my drivers etc and they are all fine.
    So I will get myself a nice new PSU now