Dedicated with TB of BW?

In the next month or two, I need to go out and find some type of dedicated hosting solution that will provide me with at least 10TB of bandwidth each month. After speaking to some friends, they said it would be pretty expensive to go that route, and that I should try and get a few servers that equal to that amount of bandwidth.

I'm not very hosting savvy, but I am on somewhat of a restricted budget. Are there any affordable and reliable hosting companies out there that would be able to provide me with a solid server, as well as enough bandwidth to handle my hosting needs?? Any recommendations would be quite helpful.

Thanks in advance!

There are a number of providers that are offering 50mbit unmetered servers. That'll get you your 10TB a month, check out the dedicated offerings section of this forum.

Originally posted by tkam
    There are a number of providers that are offering 50mbit unmetered servers. That'll get you your 10TB a month, check out the dedicated offerings section of this forum.
    I was always under the impression that there was no such thing as unmetered or unlimited bandwidth?? I feel kinda lost, but can someone explain the differences to me please?

http://www.servermatrix.com/unmetered.html
    http://www.orangefiber.com

Both of those have many different unmetered packages available. In these particular cases if you went with their 50mbit plans you would have 50mbit dedicated to your account.

Originally posted by aojon
    I was always under the impression that there was no such thing as unmetered or unlimited bandwidth?? I feel kinda lost, but can someone explain the differences to me please?
    This concept applies to shared hosting offers. I.E.

$5/mo UNLIMITED EVERYTHING!

That simply is a bad bad bad idea. With a server you can have an "unmetered" connection. An example would be a 10mbit unmetered connection. This allows you to use up to 10mbit of bandwidth per month (sometimes your server is capped so it can only send at speeds up to 10mbit, sometimes you can burst even faster but are only allowed 10mbit worth of bandwidth).

Make sense?
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Originally posted by aojon
    Common misconception. The "anti-unlimited" phobes blew it all out of proportion and confused alot of newbies. Basically, there is no such thing as "Unlimited" bandwidth (there's only a finite amount of EVERYTHING, even time and space if you like that sort of thing). Unmetered bandwidth refers to a pipe being pumped into your server, where banwidth is limited but data transfer is not metered - (i.e. 10mbps unmetered allows you to use as much of that 10mbps pipe as you wish (i.e. maxed out at around 3.5 Terabytes) - while 1TB metered may still be on a 10mbps port, however you will be charged for any overage.

http://www.servermatrix.com/unmetered.html
    http://www.orangefiber.com

Both of those have many different unmetered packages available. In these particular cases if you went with their 50mbit plans you would have 50mbit dedicated to your account.
    You would just "scrape" 10Terabytes (none-burstable) with a 30mbps unmetered connection. This wouldn't allow for peaks, so 50mbps would probably be a better option (depending on your planned server usage ofcourse). Check out http://www.jhservers.com/plans.html - iv'e been with them for awhile now and they've been pretty good to me

You would just "scrape" 10Terabytes (none-burstable) with a 30mbps unmetered connection. This wouldn't allow for peaks, so 50mbps would probably be a better option (depending on your planned server usage ofcourse). Check out http://www.jhservers.com/plans.html - iv'e been with them for awhile now and they've been pretty good to me
    I had just recently checked them out, and their pricing looks pretty decent.

I was also wondering.. up to how many Terabytes would a 50mbps solution handle though? The site I have planned will have tons of streaming videos and whatnot, so I don't want to find out mid-month that I need more BW.. Is there a difference for sites with streaming video? Also, are these plans also able to handle a lot of traffic, as well as the streaming combined?

With 50mbit you can use roughly 15TB.

16TB*

Roughly.. (that 1 TB can really make the difference!)

Originally posted by mike_Clory
    16TB*

Roughly.. (that 1 TB can really make the difference!)
    So a 100mbps plan would be able to handle, at max, 30-32TB without fizzing out?

Yes, if the connections is fully used all month, it should go through between 31-33 GB bandwidth.

Originally posted by mike_Clory
    Yes, if the connections is fully used all month, it should go through between 31-33 GB bandwidth.
    Ahh that's pretty cool. Thanks for the info guys!

50 mbps is equivalent to 16 TB exactly, if utilized 24/7. As for 100 mbps, the chance of you actually pushing 32 TB is like winning the lottery. You need to 100% utilize all 100 mbps every second of the day. Most people don't do this (without breaking into a profuse sweat )

Originally posted by JHosts
    50 mbps is equivalent to 16 TB exactly, if utilized 24/7. As for 100 mbps, the chance of you actually pushing 32 TB is like winning the lottery. You need to 100% utilize all 100 mbps every second of the day. Most people don't do this (without breaking into a profuse sweat )
    If that's the case, then why do very large sites, like ebaumsworld.com or big-boys.com spend $10k a month or so on servers, when instead they can be spending under $1k a month with your plans?

Because it's not all about bandwidth, depending on the content of the site you might want one server for the database only, one for the website and another for images/videos. Also it's quite possible they have servers in several locations for fail-safe purposes.

Because it's not all about bandwidth, depending on the content of the site you might want one server for the database only, one for the website and another for images/videos. Also it's quite possible they have servers in several locations for fail-safe purposes.
    Ahh makes sense.. Alright, it's all starting to finally come together.. thanks for being patient with my newbie'ness..

bare in mind you have to watch for the peaks, e.g 75% of your transfers will probably be done during a 12hour timeframe