Thread: Evercase 1U

Evercase 1U

Has anyone figured out how you are supposed to mount 2 hard drives inside this case?

link to description

Drive Space: 2*3.5" Internal HDD, 1slim CD-ROM
    Mine only has a mounting bracket for 1 internal HDD

I have the same issue with those cases. It comes with some extra brackets but they don't seem to fit in any way I can figure out.
    Fork Networking - 1995-2010+
    Colocation & Dedicated Hosting
    West Coast, 99.999% uptime.
    <www.forked.net>

Tough call, I can't see anywhere to mount the second one in the following pictures: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Is it possible to mount in place of the Slim CD-ROM drive?
    Robert Donaldson | Netivex
    Toronto | Dedicated Servers

If you look closely (the pic on the Evercase website is better ... http://www.evercase.com/newsite/imag...insideview.JPG) you can see a single mounting bracket against the front panel directly in front of the mount for the 3 mid-mount fans. That's for mounting the second drive. The first of course goes under the cdrom.

It's a tight fit and I'd want to physically inspect it carefully before I'd trust a second drive to the mounting as it appears in the picture.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

I picked up one of these the other day and installed a micro atx motherboard in it, I had to saw off the audio connectors in the back for clearance

oh and I was able to install a slim cd-rom drive and a 3.5" hard drive on that bracket..

I will tell you what that case rocks for the price. That case is always ice cold when I touch it running a P4 3.0GHz HT with an active copper heatsink/blower combo and two fans in the front (and of course those two airplane engines in came with for exhaust). It may wake up the neighborhood in the process but it gets the job done. And I can tell it's running right when I walk into the data centers door. Well worth the money. But I would like to mount a second drive in there. I still don't see how that's possible. Of course I have a fan board too so maybe that's using up the space.

Originally posted by NyteOwl
    If you look closely (the pic on the Evercase website is better ... http://www.evercase.com/newsite/imag...insideview.JPG) you can see a single mounting bracket against the front panel directly in front of the mount for the 3 mid-mount fans. That's for mounting the second drive. The first of course goes under the cdrom.

It's a tight fit and I'd want to physically inspect it carefully before I'd trust a second drive to the mounting as it appears in the picture.
    I have one of these cases in front of me right now and that is just a solid piece of metal. There are no holes or anything to mount a drive using that. I think it's to strengthen the case.

...still trying to find out how to mount a second drive.
    Fork Networking - 1995-2010+
    Colocation & Dedicated Hosting
    West Coast, 99.999% uptime.
    <www.forked.net>

Ive used a few thousand of these cases. The way the 2nd hdd mounts is right infront of the 3 fans, you screw up through the bottom of the case (there are pre-drilled holes for it). The interface of the 2nd hdd will be facing the interface of the primary drive installed in the slim cd-rom/hdd bracket.

Now if youre going to use a slim cd-rom, and two hard drives. Its darn near impossible to wire everything. We've found out that you have to make customized IDE cables (round ones) inorder to get everything to wire up correctly/neatly.

You might want to give that a try

Plan on SATA for dual drives in this case -- makes cable management a little easier.
    bye

Yep sure enough, two drives will fit. It didnt look like it would work, but it does, with the bevel-head screws included.
    Tranquil Hosting

how does it compare to the gx28?

GX28 Tyan case? If thats the one you're referring to, the GX28 is made more for Opterons than being an "all around case". Its quite costly too. These evercase's cant handle opterons since the lack of space, nor the massive airflow you need. Some of them can do xeons, dont get me wrong, but opterons would be best to stay in the GX28's

The xeons are cooler than the opterons? I thought amd in general used less power / produced less heat than intel?

The new AMD Athlon 64's run cooler. But the opterons still run hot. Xeons (prestonia's) are cool, whereas the narcona (800fsb xeons) run a tad hotter than the prestonias (I hope thats not confusing) lol.

Thats why the GX28 cases have 6 fans right in the middle opposed to eachother that spin in opposite directions to push massive massive amounts of air over the opteron heat sinks (if you get the barebone systems).