Will Reseller Hosting Finally Replaced By VPS

Hi,

As the price of VPS is dropping down close to Reseller. Will Reseller Hosting finally replaced by VPS?

Well for a VPS you need to have some Linux knowledge so there will still be a place for reseller hosting.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

That's a good question. Glad you asked it.

I see a lot of our resellers moving or planning to move to VPS in the future.

There will still be a place for reseller accounts, but the bigger resellers are likely to gravitate towards VPS if for no other reason than to have more control over their server environment.

That's my opinion, at least. It's probably worth what you paid for it.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

VPS won't replace reseller hosting.. the markets are vastly different.

VPS is slowly becoming a nice stepping stone however, for people moving from reseller status, to dedicated. It offers a good "middle ground" option.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network.

Originally posted by IHSL
    VPS is slowly becoming a nice stepping stone however, for people moving from reseller status, to dedicated. It offers a good "middle ground" option.
    Hit the nail right on the head. Remember that a reseller is more than space and transfer, it's also more time to focus on customer relations rather than server management. That's the key to a reseller, the worry free aspect for the server.

Just my 2 cents
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing

I honestly believe the reseller market will levitate more towards dual platform hosting, reseller hosting with more options and features than conventional accounts.

If that is the case, you'd see resellers selling VPS as an option rather than basing the entire hosting operations off one VPS account (which would limit what they could sell).
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

I think VPS solutions will be what customers with mission-critical, business oriented websites will gravitate to. I further believe that reseller hosting will be the choice for busy forums as they tend to try to "hog" resources on the server at relatively lower prices than VPS solutions (where resources are limited).

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

VPS tends to be more better for those who wish to upgrade to dedicated but just don't have the vast funds to pay for dedicated.
    Stephen James - [email protected]
    http://www.solidus-services.com
    - Quality, Reliable and Affordable Hosting.

Re: Will Reseller Hosting Finally Replaced By VPS

Originally posted by AnyDemo
    As the price of VPS is dropping down close to Reseller. Will Reseller Hosting finally replaced by VPS?
    I think Reseller and VPS accounts will remain as two distinct markets. The bigger question is, will selling VPS accounts become more profitable? I say most likely not, since Reseller accounts have a much more solid foundation in the industry and are easier to use for end customers.
    IceStorm.com - Top Provider of Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Cloud VPS Plans.
    Why IceStorm? Two Words: Proven Reliability.

I think the answer to that is yes and no. VPS already suits the needs of many resellers and gives them an isolation from other resource hungry users on the same server.

I actually think the lines will blur between them where a reseller account can have the option of being on a shared environment or not (on a VPS)

Will Reseller Hosting finally replaced by VPS?
    Going a bit further... will shared hosting in all its forms be replaced by more or less managed VPS solutions?

I believe it will all depend on how important the guaranteed resources issue will be (or is) for the customers. IMO, even in the most extreme scenario, reseller hosting in its current form still has at least a few years of life left.