Modernbill and Hosting of main site question

I saw a tempting offer where I can be leased a modernbill license and also have the host website hosted on their 'secure servers'.

Here's my current setup:

My website, including the hosting section, is sitting on a colocated box at a good datacenter. I don't have access to my domain name controls as I had a friend buy it for me (he also owns the colo'd box), now, I'm going to be getting the domain controls soon so I can set up nameservers and such for hosting, but here's my question:

Should I move my website over onto the server that I am reselling from so that stuff like cpanel and modern bill etc is all easy to tie together? Or will I be able to tie it all together without moving my site? (therefore in the unlikely chance that my host goes down, my website and support forums will still be up for people)
    So far I have not needed to make 31 posts thanks to the search function.

Hey there,

Regardless of what server ModernBill is installed on, it will be able to "tie everything together" without any problems. Having ModernBill on a seperate server is from your main website is very possible. Here are the two ways you can do that:

1) Completely seperate domain/hosting account just for ModernBill. Everything is seperate and dependant only on the server that it is located on.

2) Sub-Domain of your main site. If you use this method, the ModernBill site will only be accessible so long as your DNS server doesn't go down. So, if DNS fails and/or the server turns off for whatever reason, ModernBill will no longer be accessible.

Those are the two scenarios, now it's up to you
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Haha, I was thinking about your services. What do you think of me putting modernbill on the server I resell from on a subdomain of my site? How would this affect support?

Hey there,

Happy to hear that you were at least "thinking" about us

As for your question, you'll need to think about how your customers will contact you if the server goes down entirely.

Only you can answer this question.

Just remember that if you have them on the same server, whatever services are down for one is down for the other. So if mySQL is down, how are people going to get in contact with you?

Well, you're pretty much the best thing I found searching WHT for modernbill leasing. Maybe I should install modernbill on the server my website is on (easy). Then if my site goes down, it's ok because their hosting will still work, and if hosting goes down, my site is still up for support.

Originally posted by Muzzleflash
    Maybe I should install modernbill on the server my website is on (easy). Then if my site goes down, it's ok because their hosting will still work, and if hosting goes down, my site is still up for support.
    That's probably a pretty good idea

Hm. I think that sounds good.

One final question: can I use modernbill to also process pay-to-join forum subscriptions?

Originally posted by Muzzleflash
    One final question: can I use modernbill to also process pay-to-join forum subscriptions?
    Great question, and my answer is: It depends. It depends on what the payment entitles the user to, as well as, what does non-member status allow the user? What forum software are we discussing?

vBulletin. I am thinking I might need a slightly customized system to do this- I know globalpay or worldpay works with vbulletin but I have my eye set on modernauthorize.

Thanks for answering all my questions, by the way. Really smooth way to make sure I know who to go to when I need to hire something done with MB.

Hm, I should also ask some vbulletin modders. Basically I am thinking modernbill would process the payment and then create an account with the same username they used, as long as it was available in the vB database. Or else they'd just sign up for a name first and then order in order to be able to do anything with it and then input the name on signing up, that would be probably easier to impliment.

Again, it really depends. If your forum is purely subscription-based, then it is quite easy to do with ModernBill as it will register the name for them upon payment (you can setup vBulletin to not allow registrations through regular means), and then you'd be all set.

So, should I start by just renting a modernbill license, or buying an owned 250 to start? I prefer to keep monthly expenses down and just pay in lump sums.

Unfortunately, this is one decision to be made entirely by you. It depends on your business plan - keep monthly fees down, and higher setup fees. Or keep the startup costs down and finance things month-to-month.

The choice it yours

I guess the question is- do you sell owned licenses?

Unfortunately, not at this point - sorry!

I think then that my best bet is to buy an owned 250 right now, and should I require more down the road, lease an unlimited from you plus if I require customization services, your rates look highly reasonable.

Sure thing, thanks very much. Just let me know if you need any assistance.