to move or not to move?

I have a server on ServerMatrix and another on 15minuteservers
    It's almost time to get a new server and I've plans to get 3 or 4 new servers per year

My points are:
    1) My server on ServerMatrix doesn't have RAID-1 (and I regret not having that setted up)
    2) My server on 15ms has RAID-1
    3) I like ServerMatrix support, but I hate accounting... they're horrible
    4) I like 15ms support, but it looks pretty "amateur", although they always answered my tickets in less than 40 minutes...
    let me explain... by "amateur" I mean that they don't have phone support and that it looks like they have 1 or 2 techs at the same time... so if 3 customers need attention, they wouldn't get to answer them all

Ok, now the doubt:
    Should I move my SM server to 15ms?

Also, isn't it a bad idea to put all the eggs on the same basket?

thanks

15minuteservers has more then 2 techs on duty at a time
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

As you are looking at new Servers you will be able to set them up anyway you want. I have no experience with 15minservers but have called SM on behalf of Clients, whose Server(s) I working on. Tech Support was knowledgeable and able to correctly answer my questions. To me, DC Tech Support available by phone is a must.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Contact to someone in the DC is necessary in my eyes.

Why not try emailing 15ms and see if you can find out how many techs they have on hand at any given time?

We have two servers at 15ms and have had servers at a few others, So far 15ms support and network has been much better.

My vote goes to SM/TP. Servermatrix/ThePlanet are best in support.

Originally posted by HenryJ
    My vote goes to SM/TP. Servermatrix/ThePlanet are best in support.
    you probably never had a problem with accounting (like issuing SLA, credit card declined..)

Re: to move or not to move?

Originally posted by Lem0nHead

4) I like 15ms support, but it looks pretty "amateur", although they always answered my tickets in less than 40 minutes...
    let me explain... by "amateur" I mean that they don't have phone support and that it looks like they have 1 or 2 techs at the same time... so if 3 customers need attention, they wouldn't get to answer them all
    You are going to get more personalized attention than from any of the monster hosters. Even if the operation seems "amerteur". Never equate a slick and polished website for top-notch company. There is absolutely no corrolation.

Also, isn't it a bad idea to put all the eggs on the same basket?

I hear this all the time, and I still don't understand the egg and basket analogy for dedicated server market. If you are buying and reselling a product, such as toilet paper, you certainly would like to keep a good relationship with two suppliers. I just don't see any drawback in trusting one dedicated server company that you are happy with with all of your business.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Re: Re: to move or not to move?

Originally posted by PSFServers
    You are going to get more personalized attention than from any of the monster hosters. Even if the operation seems "amerteur". Never equate a slick and polished website for top-notch company. There is absolutely no corrolation.

I hear this all the time, and I still don't understand the egg and basket analogy for dedicated server market. If you are buying and reselling a product, such as toilet paper, you certainly would like to keep a good relationship with two suppliers. I just don't see any drawback in trusting one dedicated server company that you are happy with with all of your business.
    once my credit card was being rejected by ServerMatrix (but accepted anywhere else)
    I discussed it on forum and still don't know what happened, but many people said it was probably a ServerMatrix problem
    I of course called my credit card company also and they said everything was ok and I had credit for the charge (I don't know why they would lie)

So, my server got suspended until I found a new credit card...
    if I have 3 servers on SM at this time, I'd have 3 servers desatived

if I had 3 servers on SM when they had downtime, I'd have 3 servers down
    (that's also valid for other providers of course)

so I think the eggs in basket makes some sense

Re: Re: Re: to move or not to move?

if I had 3 servers on SM when they had downtime, I'd have 3 servers down
    (that's also valid for other providers of course)

so I think the eggs in basket makes some sense
    The rationalization is a good one. But if you are willing to put up with a company that gives you down time, that is another more serious rationalization.

So I guess what you are saying is that the 99.5%, 99.9%, 100% SLA uptime promise is nothing but a crock of ****!

Here's my advice. Find a "quality" host that will keep you up 100% of the time. Then reward him with ALL of your business.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

If you have 3 servers with a smaller provider and build a good standing relationship, you will be a friend and not a number.

You will be happier and solving challenges together instead against each other.

Originally posted by efarmer
    If you have 3 servers with a smaller provider and build a good standing relationship, you will be a friend and not a number.

You will be happier and solving challenges together instead against each other.
    Those are wise words, really !!!

We have experienced the very same in the past...

Re: to move or not to move?

Well, not having phone support is part of what cuts costs for them and allows them to offer such a pricepoint. You basically said it yourself:

... so if 3 customers need attention, they wouldn't get to answer them all
    Assume that they did have phone support, 2 people call in for trivial things and 1 person calls in for a major issue (hardware failiure, etc.). However, those first two people called in first and got to a tech. before the third person did and not get to someone right away. Having a ticketing system is great for prioritizing issues by the level of severity. It also allows everyone equal time with the technicians. IIRC, I believe the same techs that operate NAC's IP network, etc. are also the tech. support behind 15 Minute Servers.
    Last edited by mripguru; 06-01-2005 at 07:09 PM.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Re: Re: to move or not to move?

Originally posted by jslivko
    Assume that they did have phone support, 2 people call in for trivial things and 1 person calls in for a major issue (hardware failiure, etc.). However, those first two people called in first and got to a tech. before the third person did and not get to someone right away. Having a ticketing system is great for prioritizing issues by the level of severity. It also allows everyone equal time with the technicians. IIRC, I believe the same techs that operate NAC's IP network, etc. are also the tech. support behind 15 Minute Servers.
    Well said jslivko. Ticket support is certainly more efficient than telephone support; it allows our techs to giver higher priority to server down tickets than simple questions about configuing mySQL and the like.

Our techs will call you if an issue requires further clarification or would be resolved quicker with a phone conversation.
    Matthew Winship
    15 Minute Servers / Net Access Corp.
    www.15minuteservers.com
    www.nac.net