good webstats program for a website and a blog?

Can anyone recommend a good webstats program for a website and a blog?

I'd like a hosted one since I'm on a mac and most of the software packages are on windows.

I'm looking for more features beyond the free ones and less than $400 a year. Ideally somewhere in the $10 to $30 a month range that I can use for my 100+ page ADD resource website and my blog and get pretty detailed stats, i.e., visitor paths, returning visitors, time in etc.

thanks

Pete

web: http://www.addcoach4u.com
    blog: http://www.adultaddstrengths.com

I use the free http://www.statcounter.com/ and find it excellent. The same service offers premium accounts.

thanks, i needed this too

Many of the programs included in a host that offers fantastico contain good webstat tracking software. Awstats cpanel stats etc.

It shouldn't be necessary to pay for a good stats program, a host should include something worthy.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

thanks for the ideas, but I want something more comprehensive than than Awstats or Stat counter, i've tried them both my host has an even crapier verision but I don't want to switch just for that.

Any other ideas?

Pete

Well there's Urchin. Costs some money to get your own license, a few hosts offer it as part of package (or add-on). For example: Micfo.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

yes like $199 a month. Look like an amazing package do hosts like micfo provide the full version of urchin?

Google just bought them. http://www.urchin.com/company/news/03282005.html

so they'll probably be reselling them for a lot less in a few months. Don't want to buy something and find a big price drop in 2 months.

Pete

Urchin is the best of them, IMHO. There are hosts which include Urchin with their hosting packages at no extra cost.

If you want to actually go out and buy software for analyzing your logs, Sawmill is pretty good too. It's been a while since I used it, but I remember being impressed until we got Urchin on our servers. Then there was no need to process the logs offline just to get decent stats.

Mark
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

I'd love to know how these hosts/data centers are getting Urchin at such a discount they can include it for free. But, I won't sacrifice network for a stats program, nor will I pay through the nose for what some are paying nothing...

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

It's real simple in our case. EV1, who we lease servers from, made a deal with Urchin. I don't pay anything extra for Urchin, so I don't charge for it. Whatever the cost of Urchin is to EV1, they choose to bundle that into the server lease, just like CPanel and Fantastico.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

sawmill looks pretty interesting. is there anything that urchin does that sawmill doesn't?

now that google has bought urchin if someone switches hosts to a company like your's for urchin will they still be able to use it in 2-3 months and if so for how long before google pulls the plug? if they do pull the plug on having urchin on external companies.

thanks

Pete

I haven't used Sawmill for quite a long time. You'd have to look at it closely to see what differences there are.

As far as Urchin goes, the licenses for the 5.x Urchin are not monthly. So, once the machine is licensed, it's licensed.

Urchin 6.x operates on a different model, where Urchin itself is hosted by the Urchin company. There were plans to release a 6.x version that was not hosted, but who knows what may have changed since Google bought them.

Since 5.x is already licensed to the people who offer it, I do not think you will have any trouble in the future. Perhaps *we* may not be able to purchase additional licenses, but the servers that are already licensed are not suddenly going to be turned off.

Mark
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

Re: good webstats program for a website and a blog?

The typical choices are:

Log File Analysis:

Uses the raw logs from the web server.  For simple things, you could process yourself.  For more advanced analysis, either shareware, open source, or commercial software can analyze.  Drawback is most of these tools run in a BATCH mode -- read the logs (possibly requiring you to download to your computer from your host), generate reports, repeat.

Interactive log analysis - data input is still log files, but tools have a real-time web interface for viewing reports and more importantly, creating custom reports on-the-fly drilling down for specifics, custom time periods (one day, one week, yesterday, etc.) or custom filters (only report on pages with "buynow.htm" in the url)

Hit counters/hit boxes - simple ones are scripts and they increment a visible counter on your site.  Not very reliable, and not private.

Hosted Hit counters - a little better as the numbers can be private and not seen until you log into a private web page. Technology is still basically a hidden 1x1 gif image being pulled into the page so the tracking server "sees" the activity.

Hosted Visitor tracking - using advanced techniques to identify visitors, not just "hits" or IP addresses, this is the current state-of-the-art and often includes full clickstream analysis capabilities. Technology is a combination of tracking image plus script and cookie tracking.

Hosted solutions have the advantage of being usable even if you don't access to the raw log files or have a non-standard web server.  They take a little more work to setup as you have to add a small script to every page of your website but that's not too hard to do.

Hosted Visitor tracking is simply amazing to use.  Put simply, when you get tired of wondering why 70% of your traffic is always coming from Virginia or why your stats show 15 visitors when you know only 1 person actually visited the site (because it was yourself running a test), then you are ready for hosted visitor tracking.  (Spoiler: Virginia is the home of AOL and AOL internet connections will always use caching/proxy servers that can issue 5 to 15 simultaneous requests FROM DIFFERENT IP addresses when just one actual person is visiting your website.)

Examples of Hosted Visitor tracking are the hosted version of WebTrends, LiveStats.NET, and others. (We use LiveStats.NET from Deepmetrix and highly recommend it.)

Originally posted by peteq
    Can anyone recommend a good webstats program for a website and a blog?

I'd like a hosted one since I'm on a mac and most of the software packages are on windows.

I'm looking for more features beyond the free ones and less than $400 a year. Ideally somewhere in the $10 to $30 a month range that I can use for my 100+ page ADD resource website and my blog and get pretty detailed stats, i.e., visitor paths, returning visitors, time in etc.

thanks

Pete

web: http://www.addcoach4u.com
    blog: http://www.adultaddstrengths.com
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

thanks Mark. Good point..

Thanks for the great overview on log files Spiv. That would be a great blog post.

Know of any Hosted Visitor tracking packages that are less than $800? all the ones listed are in that range.

thanks

Pete

Prices for tracking a single site using a hosted service runs around $30 to $50/month and up.

The $800 price is probably the license fee if you want to run the service yourself and offer it to others.

Originally posted by peteq
    thanks Mark. Good point..

Thanks for the great overview on log files Spiv. That would be a great blog post.

Know of any Hosted Visitor tracking packages that are less than $800? all the ones listed are in that range.

thanks

Pete
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

thanks Spiv

Pete

I wonder what's the most popular paid web stats package out there?

Nice talking with you the other day on the phone. It's unfortunate that we were unable to fulfill one of your requirements.

I would say that my guess on the most popular web stats package is Analog, just because it is free software and has been around forever.

In terms of stand-alone programs, my guess would be Webtrends.

Mark
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

I would say Webtrends or DeepMetrix have the most used commerical installed package.....Analog is a freebie that floats around, but personally I would trust the metrics and numbers of someone paid to do it, rather than someone who did it in their spare time.

Cnstats has been great for me!
    Michael Copeland
    WebLyte - We Make Establishing Your Web Presence Easy!
    Over 6 Years In Business! We're Here To Stay!