* Atjeu - is this absurd?

They are going to hate me for this, but I need a little bit of advice from some of you guys:

Ok so after having my bad experience with 'ChallengeHost' I tried Atjeu and have been with them for a long while now, just over half a year.

The server quality was poor, needed frequent restarts due to crashes, and the Plesk license was old... On average I was contacting them one or two times a week (sometimes more) to have server restarts. I asked them what could be done and they said:

""We aren't just fishing for your money, but you need to beef up your server.""

Jesus christ I hit 100gb bandwidth on busy months, I'm sure I didn't overload the server or anything. Anyway I paid $135 for a 512mb RAM upgrade, as they said would be best, and thought that might solve some of the problems.

WHOOPS! A week or two later (last few days) I had 2-3 server crashes a day then the Level 2 techy 'Ben' said the hard drive was giving them errors and in a short time the hard drive would be unusable because it is failing......

Now after a bunch load of stress they have put in a new hard drive and left the old one there to hang so I can 'retrieve the files' and whatever, with Shell..

I have to admit I have NO experience with linux command and now there is the opportunity for them to save my career (my websites) and they aren't doing anything to transfer the files, they are leaving them on the server to die with it. I pay them on a monthly basis to look after my server and now I literally, have lost everything.

I know I was silly for not taking back-ups. Well I did on a monthly basis but I cannot restore my sites/server with those. But tell me, was their handling in this situation CORRECT?

My buddy that owns www.nukeroyal.com said they shouldn't put that unnecessary stress and work upon their paying client. It was their hardware and they should make things back to normal!

All their responses are so global and unclear and it makes me out to be a retard or like I know everything.

They are there physically, I am far away and have no experience with this. I can't sort it. Whats going on!

Oh and another question; shouldn't I get some sort of compensation money for the severe and frequent downtimes?

Extra Edit: Also, they were usually like:

'' Your server has no problems, we have checked your server out'' if the server has a problem. They don't search deep enough! Then it is too late like now.

Another Update: Ok so now I am having trouble connecting to it with PUTTY. Apparently 'Ben' the level 2 support 'tech' is connected, though, surprisingly. Oh wait a minute, why doesn't he get off his lazy arse since he is connected, why not help fix the situation he is making worse? I thought he was unable to do that (connect) ..
    Last edited by SaturnStar; 05-26-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Hmm this wasn't mean to go in the tutorials forum.

Then it shall be moved

Thanks buddy

Is this an unmanaged server? If so this isn't really that absurd. You really shoulda had kernel logging on and I suspect you'da saw those hd failures appearing in the logfile, and 100 gigs per month "might" push a server, is it a forum or other heavy database 100 gigs? Or 100 gigs of files? Also the older control panel/etc I mean if that's what you signed up for originally then unless you've paid to upgrade they probably ain't gonna do it for free most won't.

Unmanaged is just that, they install an os and maybe a panel and hand it to you, it's pretty much your responsibility to report problems, hardware AND software, "hey I'm getting /dev/hda2 failures in my kernel log help!" or "ok I'm using 300 megs of swap and my server is slow, I need more ram HELP!" etc etc etc.

If this is a managed server then what I said doesn't apply that's the whole point of managed, not to have to worry about most of this crap
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Did you purchase any managed services from them? If you are purchasing an unmanaged server, you shouldn't expect them to do much at all. Are you getting what you paid for?
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

wow... i'd hate those people!

Oh its ok now, me and my buddy have dealt with the problem and are working on fixing everything back up to normal now.

Thanks for responses and your time reading this.

By the way it was unmanaged but they said every package comes with basic-leveled management, still even so, I feel a little... hmm...

Atjue is horrible and I am finding that all their support staff now is in India and they are burning a lot of client bridges. I would look for another company soon and just leave them or you too will go down with that sinking ship

Originally posted by SaturnStar
    Oh its ok now, me and my buddy have dealt with the problem and are working on fixing everything back up to normal now.

Thanks for responses and your time reading this.

By the way it was unmanaged but they said every package comes with basic-leveled management, still even so, I feel a little... hmm...
    This is my question to you:

Why are you still with them when u say they suck? Why not just move?

There are tons of other better providers out there (if you think they suck) and they could easily setup a server for you. Just look around.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

At one time we considered Atjeu as a potential DC for Servers but the fact that they will not accept phone calls (no matter what dept.) was a deal breaker. If a DC will not provide telephone Tech Support it is not a DC we would want to deal with. It's little things like that that can save one lots of headaches down the road.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Originally posted by Website Rob
    At one time we considered Atjeu as a potential DC for Servers but the fact that they will not accept phone calls (no matter what dept.) was a deal breaker. If a DC will not provide telephone Tech Support it is not a DC we would want to deal with. It's little things like that that can save one lots of headaches down the road.
    I try NOT to bug the places I use via phone, but by george if I -want- to I better be able to
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Right on brother.

eMail may be the killer app for the Internet but falls a distant 3rd, after face-to-face meetings and/or telephone contact.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

you'd think they would have at least offered to backup your info and restore to new hd, even if for a fee.

-- >

Atjeu has issues since a long time and it has NOTHING to do with the 1st Level Support which is in Bangalore.

They have shifted their 1st Level just few weeks ago but they have issues against DDoS since almost 2 and half years.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

My question is simple: did you try asking them to restore the data for you ?
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by aodat2
    This is my question to you:

Why are you still with them when u say they suck? Why not just move?

There are tons of other better providers out there (if you think they suck) and they could easily setup a server for you. Just look around.
    I am looking for a better Data Center right now.

Anyway, their support seems to have given up and they won't answer the phone on both departments. I am stuck with a few problems.

Atjeu are a waste of time; they lost me money, client satisfaction, and almost lost my sites, causing me a great deal of stress AND embarrisment.

This is going to take a hella long time to clean up. They are there physically and if they helped transfer it would be done much quicker. So now their support has decided to go slow on me (god I hope they haven't given up) and I am left here waiting impatiently so I can fix up my sites.

Sorry to go on about this, I'm just huffed up at how they handled the whole thing.

Oh oh, one last thing. Any suggestions for a new datacenter?

Sago / Server Matrix / LT
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Originally posted by sprintserve
    My question is simple: did you try asking them to restore the data for you ?
    Yes repeatedly but, LOL, infact the response I got were so global and like "we'd rather sit on our fat asses" sort of thing as if they just wanted to get the hard drive in then 'not our prob, go away'

Well heres one

Again i see that you are fustrated. However you are responsible for the data on your server.
    Hardware failures are just part of the computer world. We did not want this to happen, believe me i like doing nothing all day long and rebuilding systems is not my idea of a good time.

(Translated: I'd rather sit on my *** all day and do nothing than help you. You be a good client now and do all the hard work yourself, that our faulty hardware and lazy technical support staff made for you!)

So he'd rather do nothing than help me.

Also I notice how they like to throw out 'its your fault! you need to pay us more money! buy this.. and this!' sort of thing..

Originally posted by < ! --
    you'd think they would have at least offered to backup your info and restore to new hd, even if for a fee.

-- >
    I know. Well he said he would ask his 'technical experts' how much it would cost for that, but he took a long time to get back and said 'they said go to plesks support staff instead'.

And, yeah, whenever I asked 'restore to the new HD' that was a big no no to them. Which as you've read, left me in an awkward position.