The need for IP addresses?

I see on alot of dedicated server host site's, that they sell more IP addresses for a very small amount, but the question is, what is the need for so many IP addresses? Can someone give me a list of what they migh do with so many?

If an attack is launched on a shared hosting machine, and the attack is being made on a specific website. The admin can null route the ip address that website is on, and the rest of the websites on that server wont' go down when that happens.

Also, it's useful for resellers who want to appear as if they are on their own dedicated server.

They are also useful for people providing IRC services. For IRCd's and vhosts to work properly, each seperate one needs their own IP address.
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    -- W.W. Ziege

Also if you are to host games it is nice to give each client their own unique IP..

Another reason is Apache name virtual hosting can only be done when the request text is unencrypted. In other words, you need one IP per each secure site (https) hosted.

It's one SSL host per IP as well.

[edit]
    That'll teach me to sit with a thread open for 10 minutes before posting anything
    [/edit]

it is usefull for the providers who do the IDC!

Originally posted by tomorrowdream
    it is usefull for the providers who do the IDC!
    tomorrowdream,

Would you mind explaining what you meant? I'm sorry but I really don't understand.

Thanks
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    -- W.W. Ziege

I think he meant IRC...
    || Dennis Liang,
    || ServaxNet LLC

In that case.... it's already been mentioned. Oh well.
    -- W.W. Ziege

It's also useful when you're planning on setting up several dns servers on the same box. I know it shouldn't be done, but most resellers have their 2 DNS IPs in the same server.
    Fabio A. Calderon
    C.E.O.
    SEATi

It's also useful when DNS have not propogated or nameservers go down, you can access content via a static IP

i.e

http://xx.xx.xx.xx/index.php
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

also, when a customer doesn't want his site associated with other (random) websites.
    whois.sc has a feature that will show what domains are hosted on an IP

It does also provide the hosting provider with a reason to charge a little bit more for some hosting plans (by adding an "exclusive IP")
    Fabio A. Calderon
    C.E.O.
    SEATi