New flu could hit millions

World leaders are ignoring the threat of an influenza pandemic that could infect a billion people and reach New Zealand within hours of an outbreak, scientists warn.

International experts have outlined a disastrous scenario if the threat from the virulent H5N1 strain of Asian bird flu is not taken seriously.
    Why arent they taking this seriously??? This is unreal,if there is a threat like this they should be doing anything they can to help stop it!!!!!!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3293775a10,00.html

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Re: New flu could hit millions

Originally posted by The Dude
    Why arent they taking this seriously???
    Is the world overpopulated???

Seriously, I cannot believe "World leaders are ignoring the threat of an influenza pandemic." Something this serious should be taken as such.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- dburling@ts-host.com -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

I think that they should prepare for the worst.
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com

Hope they act fast!!!
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Of course, every year the media reports of a 'worldwide flu pandemic', and has everyone in a panic to get a flu shot.

If they didn't claim the sky was falling every year then people would probably take it more seriously.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik
    Of course, every year the media reports of a 'worldwide flu pandemic', and has everyone in a panic to get a flu shot.

If they didn't claim the sky was falling every year then people would probably take it more seriously.
    To all the millions of people who died from the Flu last year akashik, that is a tad insensitive. Its a major problem...
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

well, if that happens, there will be jobs available....

People dont seem 2 be taking this very seriously........

I dunno,its pretty scary,FLU SEASON usually starts in the states around October (When it gets colder,especially in the north) -- If they know about this new strain of flu THIS EARLY,they should do whatever they have to,to prevent it from spreading!!!!!!

Just another reason for me to always stay at home.

take was.... cold.

I'm not too worried since my immune system is strong compared to others. I recall a few years back my grandma has the flu and I was around here alot trying to catch the flu. I ended up not getting the flu and gave it to my parents which sucked... i'm sick on average 3 days a year.
    Kerry Jones

Re: New flu could hit millions

Originally posted by The Dude
    Why arent they taking this seriously??? This is unreal,if there is a threat like this they should be doing anything they can to help stop it!!!!!!
    They do take it seriously, but remember the flu mutates every year. They (the scientists) monitor Asia to try and guess what the likely strain will be and then produce a vaccine for the strains that they think will make up the flu for the coming season. Its a tough job, they aren't always right, and there is very little time to produce the vaccine once they think they have it figured out.
    It is scary though, as we are over-due for a flu pandemic.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

I have to say, I wouldn't be too worried about this at all if I did not have a child. The fact is, I do have a child and these types of reports send chills down my spine.

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    To all the millions of people who died from the Flu last year akashik, that is a tad insensitive. Its a major problem...
    Where did I say it wasn't a major problem. The flu is a major problem *every* year. If you're in a risk group you should get a shot (if it's available to you). The people in those risk groups already know all this, and do what they can to get through it.

Every year the media beats this story up into something it's not - that it's something different to every other year.

While the flu changes a bit each time, it's still the flu.

I think you're reading a little too much into my post if you think I don't care that it kills a lot of people.

Right Greg, every year there are warnings, and they warn people in high risk groups get a flu shot. I doubt there is a reason to hit the panic button just yet

*Takes an extra garlic tablet to be on the safe side

Re: Re: New flu could hit millions

Originally posted by trau
    They do take it seriously, but remember the flu mutates every year. They (the scientists) monitor Asia to try and guess what the likely strain will be and then produce a vaccine for the strains that they think will make up the flu for the coming season. Its a tough job, they aren't always right, and there is very little time to produce the vaccine once they think they have it figured out.
    It is scary though, as we are over-due for a flu pandemic.
    Yes I agree. An epidemic is due, accroding to forecasts by scientists.

The virus is mutating every time, it will reach a time when medical science will lag behind.

And because of overpopulation and globalisation, it will spread awefully fast.

Probably it is mother nature to contain the population?

I remember the SARS outbreak in Taiwan, I had to wear masks and wash hands every so often. A life during outbreak is real boring and depressing, nowhere to go.

Originally posted by akashik
    I think you're reading a little too much into my post if you think I don't care that it kills a lot of people.
    akashik you are 100% correct, and I was 100% incorrect in my responce to you. I did not correctly read what you posted (not sure what I was on), and I do appologize.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Im glad thats all cleared up

Ironically, now this thread's been resurrected, I can say I currently have the flu.