Server Hardware Tests

Hi all,

My server is randomly restarting alot lately. Checking all the logs, I can't find any reasons why the server performs these unexpected reboots.

This has led me to believe this could be a hardware problem. (Would many hardware problems cause unlogged restarts?).
    /var/log/messages
    May 25 09:02:56 starbug syslogd 1.4.1: restart.
    (No causing errors reported before or after restart - no errors logged in chkservd)
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any Linux programs which I can use to check this server (baring in mind I only have SSH access, so no bootable programs like PCCheck thanks ).

Any input on this problem is appreciated!

Cheers,
    Shockuk.

Check your last login logs etc, make sure nobody has control of your box.

If a linux box crashes it normally doesn't come back again, so I'm thinking this is more likely hardware, bad RAM CPU or PSU possibly, all of which you'll really need to take the machine offline to fix.

Then again if it were a hardware fault your reboots would probably be hard reboots, and you'd see that logged.

Dan

memtest86 can help diagnose ram issues
    cpuburn can diagnose cpu heat problems
    http://csl.cse.ucsc.edu/smart.shtml or something similar to see if there are hard drive issues
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

Don't forget to check your /var/log/messages.1 and messages.2 if there's a pattern in time.

Cheers, i'll look into that Dan, and thanks for the info Neosurge.

Ikeo: already checked for a pattern It's truely random, some days it might restart upto four times at a random time of the day, some days it might not restart at all.

Also, if its ongoing.. best bet is to install something like hotsanic and record all the activity of the server in a graphed format.. then you can see the breaking point
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

Ah, awesome. My provider has replaced my PSU for me. Hopefully it'll be smooth running for now

Nice one JHServers!