Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    is webhosting a taxable service in ontario?

    I'm planning to start a webhosting business in Toronto, Ontario. My server will probobly be in the US. Should I be charging tax?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

  3. #3
    If you intent to have gross revenue great then 30k, then you must register for a GST number and charge GST for your Canadian clients. You don't have to charge GST for your US clients, but you MUST be able to prove they are not Canadian, otherwise CCRA will deem them as canadian and then you'll be liable for taxes you "should" have collected. In other words, be sure to get the billing address of you clients as part of every transaction.

    I'm not sure about your provincial taxes. In BC there is no PST (provincial tax) on web hosting for bc residents.

    Whatever you do (when contacting the tax people), get it in writing.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Prince Edward Island
    As mrzippy said with his great advice, contact the taxation branch of your provincial government. Anything on WHT is merely "hear say" and is not a valid excuse for messing up your taxes. Failing to contact the local government about it could lead to major headaches down the road so your best to play it safe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts