My struggle with colocation!

I've got to be honest when I say that I am new to colocation. I've been housing 12 servers on a dedicated provider for a very long time and I am ready to move to colocation.

I live in the Indianapolis area, and there are just flat out without question no colocation providers here. Thus I look north to Chicago. I've found a few providers who offer colocation there which I believe I can afford however I can't pull the trigger to pick up the phone and call them.

I sit here with 10 Dell Poweredge 2850's ready to be deployed, as well as my switch and rotuer...

I have to admit I am scared to call someone about going colo. I dont know what the fear is, but for me its a big jump.

Can some of you guys please offer some advice on what to look for with a colocation provider, what are the main benifits, what bandwidth providers should I try to stay away from? Those type of things.

I've been a member of WHT for a long time, though I am for the most part quiet I am not afraid to ask for help from this place. I've met some great people here and I couldnt' think of a better place to ask for advice!

My current requirements arent too big. We are an open source project, funded directly out of my pocket, we sell nothing, we do take donations and we typically cover our costs. We run a few game servers that require low latency bandwidth, but dont have to be the *best ever*, and house about 200 project websites. Probably only need a 30 block of IP's and we can get on our feet and going.

Any thoughts, insight, sugguestions would be more than appreciated.

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Ryan

Ryan,

You could try contacting Alex Carrol, with lifeline datacenters. They are in the Indy telecom area, over at 600 Kentucky, right downtown.

The person that owns LifeLine also owns the whole telecom complex, and rents the buildings to almost every major provider.

Their datacenter is really nice, however its pretty small. I took a tour of it about 8 months ago, and checked everything out. They also allow free cross connects, to any provider in the complex.

Contact me privately if you want his number.

*only in reference to the first part of your post.*
    Last edited by concept; 05-26-2005 at 12:38 PM.

There's nothing to be afraid of, just do your best to qualify a facility per your needs and make sure you can cover the cost with your budget. There was another post recently re Chicago colo and there are a couple providers there that would come well recommended.

I'd probably want to watch your costs a bit with it being 2U servers and you needing half a rack to fit them all, so SteadFast networks would probably be your best bet. The half rack alone will run about $550, and their premium network's bandwidth is very fair and good quality (Level3/Savvis) - should be good enough for your gaming servers.

If you have a requirement for inexpensive bandwidth of 20Mb+ they have a very nice value network with Cogent, however it is multihomed which is nice as most providers don't back up their cogent b/w like that. That could save you 50% on BW, then put a couple servers on the premium if you need the low latency.

Any idea how much bandwidth you were using previously with your dedicated servers? Less than 5mbit, or higher?

While you should get some great advice from posters here, definately try doing a few searches on WHT for chicago in the colo forums, and follow up with searches to research any recommended providers you're interested in to get a feel for feedback on their services.

Also, Dell servers use a lot of power. Your 2850 probably needs 1.5 to 2 amps each, or more than 3amps if they are dual processors. Make sure you can get that much power from the provider.

He needs Half a rack 20U-22U, so he should be getting a full 20Amps with that space included.

Originally posted by sshepherd
    He needs Half a rack 20U-22U, so he should be getting a full 20Amps with that space included.
    And based on 10 Dell 2850's there is a good chance that is not enough power. I just installed a client Dell 2850 with Dual Xeon 3.4 and 2 15K Hard Drives with Redunant Power Supplies. It clocked in at 3.5 AMPS.

Retalin, a good colo company can help you size what you need. It's best to call and ask them. They will ask you some questions and based on that they can help you with the best fit for you.

Yeah, according to Dell's system configuration tool, the 2850 with 1 CPU, 1GB RAM, 1 HD and no redudant PS will use around 2amps at 110v with average load. It goes up from there.

With some many servers stacked in half rack, Retalin also need to make sure the data center has good cooling. There were a couple of threads over the last two weeks about power needs and cooling. Good read.

First of all congrats for moving to colo. You don't really need to afraid for it, as long as you find relaiable place then you shouldn't be worried. I beleive SteadFast network is very suitable for you. You should contact them and ask all the possible questions you have.

Recently dell is offering big discount on servers. You might have to check out all the prices.
    WebHostingChat Where you Discuss & Chat about webhosting.
    DatacenterTalk DataCenterTalk.com (DCT) is a leading resources site for the Data Center community.

I would have to suggest Steadfast as well, talk to Karl and he will make the process painless for you.
    James Lumby

No colo in Indy? There are many providers, Switch and Data, Lifeline, Level3, OneCall, etc. PM me if you want more info, i've visited most of the major locations up there and we are currently coloed in one of them.