Game Server - Kernel Version

Yes I searched

I currently have a dedi with Rehat 9 , and the 2.4 kernel . I am wondering if there will be benefit to moving to the 2.6 kernel, and Centos. (which version) This will be a pure dedicated game server, no other services running.

Benefit meaning compatibility, speed, performance, etc. Does the 2.6 kernel have better memory and cpu managment, or will there really be no difference.

Thanks in advance.

If you are running Dual CPU I would definitely go 2.6. 2.6 has much better SMP support.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

Just a single at this point.

CentOS 3.4 is a very stable platform, or even CentOS 4.0 (with s.6 kernel). The 2.6 kernel has quite a few things optimized and is definitely a better kernel than 2.4. It will definitely boost your performance.

However, if everything is stable and you like the way your server is setup, I probably would not do it unless I'm sure it will not break some of the current settings. Kernel 2.6 is very nice.

Hope this helps.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Kernel 2.6 memory management and SMP management is much better, as someone mentions. Both will help improve performance for gameservers. Moving to CentOS helps you update your server easily in the longer time frame. CentOs 3 has backported features from the 2.6 kernels so it should outperform a normal stock kernel. But I haven't notice it to be significant although it certainly is stable. Moving to CentOS 4 will howver give you the 2.6 tree of kernels without having to do a custom compile.

You really don't have much to lose. Go for it.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Philadelphia, PA
    Better SMP support and management.

*edit* Just saw what sprint posted. He would be correct.
    Linux junkie |

New York, NY
    You can host fewer servers on a 2.6 kernel than you could on a 2.4
    ServGrid - - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

Why is that? If it has better resource managment, wouldn't it be likely that it would be more?

It also has a higher clock rate, so games perform better, but eat more CPU in the process.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!