* Need your advice on narrowing down very reliable reseller

Hi There,

I'm about to jump ship on my current host (Equivity) because they have had a number of reliability problems and had some unprofessional responses.

I resell hosting for a few people that need reliability. I want to start at a monthly fee of less than $25.00 per month. Reliability is NO1 priority, then speed, then price, then diskspace/transfer.

I have spent hours reading the forums and have narrowed down the following hosts to choose from and I wanted you to give me some feedback...

Site 5 RS-X Special
    $19.95 p/m
    4 Gig Space
    60 Gig Transfer
    3 IP Addresses included
    Disk space and bandwidth overselling allowed
    CPanel/WHM
    Anonymous DNS servers
    99.95+ uptime

Over 20 Gbps of available bandwidth from tier 1 transit providers, private/public peers & various internet exchanges. Backbones: Direct transit provided by UUNET/MCI (PDF Document), AT&T, SAVVIS & BBC. Peering PoPs in New York City NY (25 Broad/65 Hudson - NYIIX / NYCX), Chicago IL, Ashburn VA, Secaucus NJ, Staten Island NY, Toronto Canada & London England.

I was initally attracted to Site5 by a number of positive comments in this forum. Their RapidReflex, netAdmin4, trueMultiSite and mySite5 features was their inital draw card. I get the impression that they are quite innovative. While none of these proprietary features are currently available on their reseller plans, and compared to their retail plans, their reseller plans are worse value, I spoke to their sales and they said they are in the process of revising them and adding RapidReflex, netAdmin4 and mySite5 to their reseller plans (no trueMultiSite).

JodoHost LiteHost
    $17.50 p/m
    2.5GB Space
    40GB Transfer
    7 ‘user accounts’
    2 IPs
    VPS specific features – 64MB memory, 10 processors
    H-Sphere
    Anonymous support $0.50 per month per user
    99.500+% uptime

Servers are located in a Class 3 Datacenter at Miami, Florida. Connected by 3 major tier-1 providers (Level3, Global Crossing and XO).

These guys look quite interesting. They offer VPS specific features and H-Sphere which looks like a change from CPanel (better or worse I don't know ) Their anonymous support for my customers for $0.50 per month is good. The only thing that puts me off is their limit/charge on additional accounts.

BlueWho Plan 1 (BlueWho is HTTPme)
    1GB Space
    15GB Transfer
    CPanel/WHM
    Fantastico
    Anonymous DNS servers
    5 IP Addresses
    99.9732+% uptime

Datacenter 1
    New Jersey.
    Datacenter 2
    Phoenix, Arizona.
    Datacenter 3
    Los Angeles, California.
    IP transit from 2 cisco 12008 GSR's which are connected via multiple gigabit fiber uplinks to distribution switches (2 cisco 2948G-L3's). Each cabinet is prewired and connected a main distribution cabinet so it's plug and play. Each cabinet has it's own switch. All servers are hooked up to APC remote reboot ports in the event that they lockup for any reason.

The final few I was drawn to because of positive comments on the forums, but they don't seem to differentiate themselves like the ones above.

HostGator Aluminium
    $24.95 p/m
    5 Gig Space
    50 Gig Transfer
    CPanel/WHM
    Fantastico
    Anonymous DNS servers
    Approx 99.849% uptime

Using a fully meshed and redundant Certified Cisco Network featuring 10 backbone providers including UUNet, Sprint (GigE), Level 3 (GigE), Global Crossing (GigE), Verio (GigE), AT&T (GigE), Time Warner (GigE), Allegiance Telecom (2 x GigE), Broadwing (GigE) and AboveNet (2 x GigE).

RS Hosting Plan 1
    $20 p/m
    1Gig Space
    20Gig Transfer
    CPanel/WHM
    Fantastico
    Anonymous DNS servers
    Approx 99.9826 % uptime
    NAC Datacentre - USA (East Coast in New Jersey) Net Access backbone, a full mesh of OC48 and OC12 links. Over 200 peers and transit providers, spanning three countries within North America and Europe. Net Access features a MPLS/IP network which employs Juniper backbone routers and carrier-diverse protected SONET circuits to eliminate single points of failure. Net Access provide customers with the shortest, most resilient, and lowest latent paths available.Net Access has over 200 peering agreements with over 450 active peering sessions, and direct connectivity to major Tier 1 carriers such as UUNET, Global Crossing, and AT&T.

Feel free to suggest any I haven't said if you think they're better. I'd appreciate your opinion with repect to my hosting priorities. Thank you!!

I give you my highest recommendation for RS Hosting. Been with them for coming up on a year now, never had a ticket go unanswered for over 10 minutes. Reliability is next to none, quality is of the highest grade. I plan on writing a 2ish page review on them within the next week, that's how much I respect them.

Bottom line: They are worth every penny
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

I opened today a reseller account at ReselerZoom. Their FTP upload is amazing fast, their reputation 1A+.

I've heard a few good things about HostingZoom (ResellerZoom's parent company) but a few conflicting reports about ResellerZoom, that's why I left them off the short-list. I just find it hard to believe how they can offer so much more than their competitors for a cheap price and still keep the reliability extremely high.

Originally posted by gwizz
    I've heard a few good things about HostingZoom (ResellerZoom's parent company) but a few conflicting reports about ResellerZoom, that's why I left them off the short-list. I just find it hard to believe how they can offer so much more than their competitors for a cheap price and still keep the reliability extremely high.
    I'm not to familar with ResellerZoom, but I believe that they don't allow any over selling what so ever. Resellerzoom creates the packages, and the resellers can not create their own. (I think the $4.95 account allows the reseller to sell 10 packages before having to upgrade to the next level).

I may be wrong about this. I haven't done much research, just commenting about what I have read about them here.

This is a good buisness model, and explains why they are able to keep prices low, yet still keep the servers running smooth.

Good logic, but no.

Overselling Allowed
    Invest less and make more while being competitive with other web hosting companies in the market.
    on resellerzoom.com/

Domains
    Unlimited
    on resellerzoom.com/reseller-hosting.html

perhaps thats how it was in the past, but not anymore.

Good logic, but no.

on resellerzoom.com/

on resellerzoom.com/reseller-hosting.html

perhaps thats how it was in the past, but not anymore.
    Wow.. ok, so I was pretty far off

Sorry, and good luck.

Thanks for trying though. I appreciated your response.

gwizz,

Its good that you did your homework. I wish you luck on choosing your host.
    Jamie
    RadicalV.com High Velocity Hosting Services - Since 1999
    Hsphere Linux & Windows Hosting ~ Automated Reseller Plans ~ EasyApp Collection

thanks radv,

i think the last step (trying to narrow down the last few) is probably the toughest as they seem all to be very good.

I've decided I'm going to use a host monitoring software to monitor all the servers from the different companies that I'd be put onto as a reseller (so 1 or 2 hosts per company) and then the one that has the lowest/least variation in ping and is up the most will get my business. I really don't know what else to do to narrow it down apart from asking other people .

I've decided I'm going to use a host monitoring software to monitor all the servers from the different companies that I'd be put onto as a reseller (so 1 or 2 hosts per company) and then the one that has the lowest/least variation in ping and is up the most will get my business. I really don't know what else to do to narrow it down apart from asking other people .
    Make sure you ask for permission first, some uptime monitors will be mad at you if you don't.

Also to follow up on RSHosting, check this link and look at #1
    http://www.hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=1
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

LOL, ok, will do.

Thanks for the link. They look pretty reliable.

You have to remember though, none of the other companies that I am comparing RSHosting with are on that page and does that page measure the server my website will be put on necessarily, or their main site?

It all depends on the server that you chose. I'm actually writing the uptime portion of my 1 year review (which I'm taking a break from to answer this), but the server uptime for ALL of their servers is viewable via http://www.rshosting.org/uptime/

To help you with this, Vega and Okean are the UK based servers, while Thor and Aurora are the US based servers (I reside on Aurora)

Hope this helps, I'm here if you have any more questions. Feel free to PM me / email me / reply to this thread with anything else. I will battle for RSH until the end!

Heheh, I'm sure you will

99.9-100% uptime sounds pretty good I added Thor and Vega to my monitoring software as a sample from each of their datacenters. I'll do something similar with the other hosts.

Make sure to test out the support of the companies as well, this should be a major factor in choosing your next host. I know one of the main things I looked for and noticed was that when I contacted RSH, they were in it to help me, not just to gain money. My sales contact was also the technician (not the only, but just saying to put it in perspective), so I knew the answers I would receive would be authentic and correct.

I'm not saying having a sales team is bad, I'm just saying that from personal experience it reassured me hearing that the answers I was getting were from the same people that would give me support.

At this rate I'll be typing out my full review for you heh. Normally I would post it, but it's not my 1 year for another 9 days.

Hehe Great. Thanks for your advice, I will definately consider it.

Re: Need your advice on narrowing down very reliable reseller

These guys look quite interesting. They offer VPS specific features and H-Sphere which looks like a change from CPanel (better or worse I don't know ) Their anonymous support for my customers for $0.50 per month is good. The only thing that puts me off is their limit/charge on additional accounts.
    I just wanted to point our packages are quite different from what we are being compared too. They allow you to sell Windows & VPS hosting as well (not just Linux Hosting)

There is no limit on user accounts, but yes we do charge $0.50/month per each additional user. Each HSphere license is priced at $4.50 so I believe that's a great deal there
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Thanks for your response. More to think about

Could you please PM me an IP address of one of your reseller servers, I intend to run a ping test approx every hour for a few days. Thanks
    Last edited by gwizz; 05-27-2005 at 06:12 PM.

I have PMed you an IP. But let me warn you, if one of our server goes through a scheduled reboot, and if you are monitoring at an interval of 1 hour, and it catches the server during the reboot, it would be registered as 1 hour of downtime.

So you should really look towards a 1 min, or 5min (at the very least) monitoring interval for accurate results

OK, Fair enough, will do.

One last thing though. Hosts may have many many servers, measuring the uptime on one server may not tell you accurately what sort of overall uptime the host is delivering.

The best way to truly know if your host can deliver on their uptime promise is not by monitoring them, but by going through their reviews, their forums, their profile, etc.