• 500 Email Accts
    • ASP/ASP.NET/PHP
    • MS Access/MySQL
    • MS SQL Server 2000
    • Web Site Builder

$17.95

--------------------------------------

anyone using their hosting?????

I don't trust anyone that says unlimited web traffic. And 200 domains on one account?

The "too good to be true" alarm is going off in my head.

Same here. Not a positive feeling

You just might want to read their Terms of Service regarding the Unlimited Web Traffic.

no one can offer you Unlimited transfer they are overselling big time.

13.01 Customer’s selection of unlimited data transfer from their web Site, excludes transfer from any database server, RealMedia server, or other audio/video streaming servers. Customers may pay additional bandwidth fees for database server or RealMedia, or other audio/video streaming server transfers that exceed 10 GB, in the aggregate, during any calendar month. Customer agrees to design their websites in such a manner as to avoid overloading of Brinkster Servers, by limiting the use of code/applications that require overly high processor capacity, and to use good judgment to provide a website that is designed in a technically competent manner. Brinkster has the right, should the customer’s website be the cause of interruptions in Brinkster’s ability to provide its services to other customers, to temporarily disable access to the customer’s website. In case Brinkster takes such a step, the customer will be informed thereof as soon as is practicable and Brinkster may work with customer to remove the condition that led to the suspension.
    Quoted from http://www.brinkster.com/AboutUs/TOSShared.aspx

These guys used to be a pretty popular free hosting providor. With regards to using them, if you are planning on running a fairly high traffic site they will not suit your needs, neither will they be any good for media of any kind. I reccomend you search around a little
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

They're not bad at all. I did 600GB of traffic one month and no complaints from them.

Agreeded, seems to good to be true.

I'll think about it

brinkster has been in business for a lot of years... they offer big free hosting... I think you can trust the uptime, but not the unlimited bandwidth, everything have a limit

BRINKSTER IS BAD.

i had the develop package, and they cut it , because i had a lot of web traffic, and my plan was with ilimited traffic, now i had a lot of problems with my site,
    i think that they want to have sites with 1 or 2 visit daily.

I'll second that - Brinkster IS bad

The site I help out at has been hosted by Brinkster since last September, and the site owner and I are both well and thoroughly fed-up with them. Their promotional material forgets to mention quite a few "features:"
    • No spam filter
    • Frequent problems with the email - slow access time, mysteriously disappearing and re-appearing messages, etc.
    • Sporadic, unannounced downtimes (at least one of which lasted about a day and a half)
    • One, and only one, FTP account
    • Remarkably unhelpful tech support

And that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

To be fair, I will say that we've had no bandwidth issues with the site; however, with an average monthly bandwidth usage rate of around 12GB we're not exactly pushing things =P Additionally, it is easy to access tech support; their Live Chat feature has always put me through to a tech support representative in 5 minutes or less at any time of the day ... however, 9 times out of 10 I leave the chat having learned nothing but that Brinkster Tech Support people are quite good at getting across the following message: "It's not my problem. I don't know what to do. Go away."

All told, the end of our year-long contract cannot come soon enough, I'm already looking around for a replacement host. Watch out for this lemon!

Thanks for the heads up guys...I'll stay away from all but their free hosting.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

No spam filter
    In all honesty, one cannot expect a host (or any provider for that matter) to go into much detail with things they don't provide. What I mean is that if it's not offered, one should assume it isn't there and check for confirmation.

One, and only one, FTP account
    A bit of a nasty surprise if one needed more such accounts, but they only state "FTP access". That's what they gave you.

That said, the other issues you've had with them (downtime and lack of proper support) cannot be disputed and I'm sorry to hear you had to deal with all that. Here's to a better experience with your future host!
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-26-2005 at 11:06 AM.

In all honesty, one cannot expect a host (or any provider for that matter) to go into much detail with things they don't provide. What I mean is that if it's not offered, one should assume it isn't there and check for confirmation.
    Very true, I wasn't really suggesting they list that in their promotional materials any more than I would've expected them to admit up-front to their lousy tech support or any of the other things in my list - it was just my way of getting all my kvetches out Having said that, while I do agree that we should've been more proactive in our up-front research ... sheesh, this could just be my newbie naivety coming through but it seems to me that something like a spam filter should be so standard that checking to confirm its presence would be akin to checking to ensure that that new car you wanted came equipped with a gas tank ...

Ah well, maybe not. Your point about the one FTP account is definitely a good one, too, but an extra fun detail I forgot to mention is that when we contacted them about this about a month after signing up, they assured us that "multiple FTP accounts would be coming soon." It's now the end of June and they're still not available ...

Well, either way I guess the main point of my message is the same, we've had quite an unsatisfactory experience with Brinkster and based on that I'd suggest staying away. I'm just happy to have come across this forum so we (hopefully!) won't end up in the same boat yet again! =)

they have a horrible control panel

I think you're quite unfair.

For me, Brinkster is simply a very good Hosting Provider, they're last so long, and that makes sense, they're real, that makes sense, they're not cheating you, that makes sense too. Their server running fast, whatever browsing or downloading (even I'm in Vietnam - too far), their space is quite big for such price, and the bandwidth too. They have both .NET and PHP, MsSQL and MySQL, SSL ... etc.

And For me, the most advantage of all, they're just tell you what they REALLY HAVE! Does that make any sense while there are lotsssss of Hosting trauders who take your money fast like a thief?