Looking for host recommendations

I have a considerable backlog of web-work that is written in ASP. (not .NET) Ideally, I'd be able to just copy these files to my new host and have everything work as it should. I realize that ASP support from non-Windows-driven webhosts is nearly non-existent, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw this little tidbit out there.

I am a recreational coder. I don't engage in e-business, etc. I mainly have photo albums and personal project sites online. The sites I plan to host couldn't be further from being mission critical. I'd say the biggest deciding factor, after a few minimum requirements, is cost. Backups, server location, server specs, etc, are superceded by cost.

Anyway, here's what i hope for:
    Domains: Minimum 3, possibly 4
    Subdomains: Minimum 2 per domain
    Storage: Minimum 250MB
    Transfer: Minimum 1GB
    Cost: As cheap as possible

Currently here's what I'm looking at:
    HostPC's DA Budget hosting for $30/yr (6domain/600mb/10gb/installatron/DA)
    Telnap's Megabyte for $6/mo (3domain/700mb/10gb/fantastico/cPanel)
    ASmallOrange's Small Orange for $5/mo (unlimited/400mb/10gb/fantastico/cPanel)

I'm reading up about fantastico vs installatron and cPanel vs DA, but it seems that fantastico is better than installatron and that cPanel and DA are both comparable.

Are there any other reputable hosts that I should consider for my needs or have I covered my bases? (I'm also thinking about posting a request in the WHT forums to see what kinds of offers I can get...)

pandamonium,

Just a note: That the hosts mentioned who are using cpanel/da/fantastico may not have ASP support - as cpanel/fantastico/da will only run on *nix machines as far as I'm aware.

You will need to contact each of the ones you're considering and ask whether they allow ASP via a apache module.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

All three hosts which you mentioned above do not offer ASP support, or at least there is no mention of ASP anywhere on their websites.

You might want to look at HostGator's Swamp Plan, they do offer Chilisoft ASP.

"I'm also thinking about posting a request in the WHT forums"

I believe that is against WHT rules, you are not allowed to request hosting in any section.

Well I suppose it was a good thing I got distracted and didn't bother to post a host request.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that ASP is not a criteria for me at all. It would be a nice perk, but it is far from a requirement.

if i am correct you are allowed to request hosting in the offerrs and request section

pandamonium,

My apologies - with all the mention of ASP in both of your posts I had assumed you were going to stick with the ASP code that you currently have.

That said - if you're moving to LAMP configuration friendly code - check these forums there are lots of great hosts who can easily meet your needs.

(Just a note: research any of the ones you're considering first - and WHT is a great resource for doing just that.)
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by webster13045
    if i am correct you are allowed to request hosting in the offerrs and request section
    If you read the description of the forums "Offers Only. No Requests", you are incorrect

why yes i am i guess we all make mistakes

Since ASP is not a requirement, and we are only allowed to commend hosts we have personal experience with, I can commend Site5. They have all the things you need (multiple domains, fantastico, and cpanel) except ASP.

There are others, obviously that have very solid reps on this forum that would be just as good as Site5 for your needs.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

check www.spaceforhost.com for your requirements.

Browse the Shared and Reseller Hosting offers section, you might find the perfect host for yourself

I have some I can recommend, all -nix hosts. However one (guess which one) does offer ASP support as add-on.
    Most also offer multiple domains/account.
    Just my 2 cents....
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic