Dell 1U Servers for 500.00

Hey i was reading in the news paper today and saw an add i checked out there website you can get a 2.8 GHz P4, 256 MB Ram, 160 GB HD, and the Front Bezzel for 500 or so. Go to dell then small business and then the power edge servers. 1U Rackmount
    ••• Edrick Smith •••
    ••• Film Production •••

Looks like the $549 special is for a 2.4GHz Celeron, 256MB Ram, 40GB Sata drive. No CD rom drive, No floppy, No Bezel, No rails. They are running a free upgrade to the 2.8 P4 processor. Pretty useless, but then again you get what you pay for.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Looks like the $549 special is for a 2.4GHz Celeron, 256MB Ram, 40GB Sata drive. No CD rom drive, No floppy, No Bezel, No rails. They are running a free upgrade to the 2.8 P4 processor. Pretty useless, but then again you get what you pay for.
    probably good for a test server?
    Kerry Jones

Well it would be good if you had a CD rom drive just stick it in. I got mine quoted for 530.00 2.8 GHz P4, 160 GB HD, Bezel,
    ••• Edrick Smith •••
    ••• Film Production •••

A 2.4 celeron would be fine for a client server, just throw in another 256mb ram.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

2.4 celeron with 512 ram and a 80gb hdd will be good for a client with a small website.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

It might keyword is might be useful as a dns server or development server or some kind of test server for cpanel upgrades.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by Bakie
    2.4 celeron with 512 ram and a 80gb hdd will be good for a client with a small website.
    Thats not necessarily true. Whilst the celeron is built on the P3 core, and its performance is closer to the P2, it does depend which scripts you execute. A high traffic site on a celeron 2.4 should be more than fine, presuming you arn't using MySQL and such other high resource scripts. If you outsourced your SQL from a celeron it would be perfectly fine to run commercially. However its generally cheaper to get a high end server than 2 lower end servers
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Originally posted by trau
    I agree add another 256MB ram, and your about the same specs for an average lower scale dedicated Server. "You get what you pay for"... ya think? Geez, this sayn is so tiresome.... can we be anymore obvious?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

For the same price you could get an AMD based system. Which will outperform the Celeron by miles.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Be nice if Dell would make some of their server deep discount offers available in Canada.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

Bah www.colomachine.com <-- beat that for cheap 1U server...

I'm not a huge Dell fan no way.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Yes, that colomachine is certainly cheap. Wouldn't dream of buying or using, but sure is cheap.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Why not? I've got about 8 of them in service and never had a single issue with any of them. They use MSI motherboards, the cases are nice, 1 year warranty, no problems with them on this end.

Oh well to each his own.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by Jeff - Exceed
    Thats not necessarily true. Whilst the celeron is built on the P3 core, and its performance is closer to the P2, it does depend which scripts you execute. A high traffic site on a celeron 2.4 should be more than fine, presuming you arn't using MySQL and such other high resource scripts. If you outsourced your SQL from a celeron it would be perfectly fine to run commercially. However its generally cheaper to get a high end server than 2 lower end servers
    Actually the only Celeron chips in production with 533FSB (mPGA478/LGA775 Celeron-D) are based off the Pentium-4 Prescott Core.

A Celeron is more than capable of handling a large amount of traffic (not necessarilly recommended, but capable). It is also more than capable at handling MySQL. The 256MB of RAM that is included will be the first bottleneck in such a server, for application servers; 1GB of RAM is really a minimum.
    Last edited by a.harris; 05-27-2005 at 01:38 PM.
    Adam Harris
    Technical Director, XOMY Limited
    XOMY LCD and Plasma Televisions :: XOMAC Apple Macs

I got the following:

DELL POWEREDGE 750 1U $499.00

-----------------------
    P-4 2.8 GHz 1MB Cache 800MHz
    80 GB SATA 7200 RPM HDD
    256 MB RAM
    3 Yr next day somethign part replacement warranty.
    -----------------------

It was in Outrageous Deals section till yesterday morning.

I ordered 5 of these babies with upgraded hdd to 160GB for extra $30.00

BTW, I will be adding addtional 768MB RAM in each box ($75 from newegg), and 2nd 160GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA HDD ($89 from newegg). So my final box will cost: apporx. $695.00 and It will peform better than the $955 P-4 3.0GHz 2x512MB RAM, 2x160GB IDE HDD available from rackmountsetc.com, as I will be having SATA HDD compared to IDE ATA ones from rackmountsetc, plus i will have 4x256MB RAM compared to 2x512.

In conclusion, dell server is 30% less in price, and going to have better performance.

And last but not least, Dell machines look cool too

Originally posted by HenryJ
    BTW, I will be adding addtional 768MB RAM in each box ($75 from newegg), and 2nd 160GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA HDD ($89 from newegg). So my final box will cost: apporx. $695.00 and It will peform better than the $955 P-4 3.0GHz 2x512MB RAM, 2x160GB IDE HDD available from rackmountsetc.com, as I will be having SATA HDD compared to IDE ATA ones from rackmountsetc, plus i will have 4x256MB RAM compared to 2x512.

In conclusion, dell server is 30% less in price, and going to have better performance.

And last but not least, Dell machines look cool too
    More ram chips is better than less? Interesting... did not know that... I guess we will be getting 4x512's for our 2gb servers instead of 2x1gb

Feel free to argue with this, so i don't make a mistake
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs