question about the law...

A friend of mine wanted to buy me a bottle of absolut peach vodka for my birthday, so i pointed him in the direction of a company who sells it on the internet.

He went to order it, and he filled in my address for the shipping address, but it popped up telling him that they couldn't ship to a number of states which include michigan.

So, he brought up the idea of having it sent to his house, and then him shipping the package to my house via FEDEX. I agreed, and he went on his way.

Now, I'm curious if A) He and or I will go to jail, B) If it's possible that they will confiscate my package before it reaches my house.

We're both older than 21, He's not really selling, because it's a gift.

Feedback, please.

I think that is legal. Not 100% sure put pretty sure.

Its not legal, since the states control liquor sales you're circumventing their control. Also I belive that vodka would be high enough proof to be considered a hazardous material.

The shipper would be held responsible.
    Matthew Winship
    15 Minute Servers / Net Access Corp.
    www.15minuteservers.com
    www.nac.net

Its not legal, since the states control liquor sales you're circumventing their control. Also I belive that vodka would be high enough proof to be considered a hazardous material.
    But it's not really being sold to me. It's being sold to my friend, and my friend is shipping it cross-country as a gift.

I don't agree with the law. If it's legal for me to obtain alcohol, I don't see why anyone would be punished for giving it to me as a gift, or otherwise.

To (sort of) answer your question:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/popup_tc_us_body.html#alcoholicbeverages
    Alcoholic Beverages

Only licensed entities may ship alcohol of any type with FedEx. Consumers may not ship alcohol.

* Licensee to Licensee. FedEx will accept alcohol shipments (beer, wine and spirits) when both the shipper and recipient are either licensed wholesalers, licensed dealers, licensed distributors, licensed manufacturers or licensed importers, subject to additional requirements and all applicable laws and regulations. Contact your FedEx account executive for complete details.
    * Licensee to Consumer. FedEx will accept wine shipments from licensed entities directly to consumers, subject to additional requirements and all applicable laws and regulations. Contact your FedEx account executive for complete details. Shipments of beer or spirits to consumers are prohibited.
    Although I'm not sure regarding its legality, FedEx doesn't allow consumers to ship alcoholic beverages via its service, so it probably wouldn't be the greatest idea for you and your friend to proceed with the idea.

I'm a bit confused about something. If you're both at least 21 years old, why doesn't he just send you a check or whatever for the amount that the vodka costs, and you can go and purchase yourself a bottle of it? It will save him the shipping cost of FedEx, the time that it takes to get there, and the questionable legality and violation of FedEx's terms of use of sending said.

That's a pretty good idea. But umm.. what if he pads the box heavily, so it wouldn't be apparent that a bottle of alcohol is inside?

I'll ask if he's shipped it yet. He could just ship a check.

If its heavy its going to cost more especially with fedex

I remember back in uhh '94, my family and I was in Italy visiting family and my dad had bought like 25 bottles of wine and wanted to bring them back to the U.S. Well instead of shipping them, he put them on the plane as cargo (U.S. Military airplane). Apparently they all (except for 1 or 2) busted and during the flight people were like "do you smell wine?". It was too funny. 2 bottles did make it back with us.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    That's a pretty good idea. But umm.. what if he pads the box heavily, so it wouldn't be apparent that a bottle of alcohol is inside?
    Eh, for both of your sakes, if you're going to be shipping alcohol, you're going to want FedEx to know about it. I don't know if there are any direct legal penalties if you were to violate FedEx's terms of use -- which they take pretty seriously, by the way -- but I'm sure there would be some indirect consequences; they'd definitely let you hear about it somehow.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    I'll ask if he's shipped it yet. He could just ship a check.
    Much better idea!