Guys, this will be a major thing: many OSes running on one Opteron

http://enterprise.amd.com/downloadables/Pacifica.ppt#3

This will be great for us, running many OSes on one chip, it's VM supported by the chip itself, not through software in the host OS.

I don't forsee it as too lifechanging.

Certainly not a bad idea but it isn't going to change the webhosting industry at all (in my opinion).
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

New Processor Mode: Guest Mode
    New Data Structure: Virtual Machine Control Block (VMCB)
    New Instruction: VMRUN
    New memory mode: Real Mode w/ Paging
    External Access Protection through Device Exclusion Vectors (DEV)
    Selective Interception, increasing performance and enabling para-virtualization
    Support for SKINIT (ˇ°secure kernelˇ± init)
    Tagged TLB
    Nested Page Table Support
    Interrupt architecture changes
    All instructions now Restartable

I agree with David, this is not going to affect the webhosting industry at all.

Originally posted by HP-David
    I don't forsee it as too lifechanging.

Certainly not a bad idea but it isn't going to change the webhosting industry at all (in my opinion).
    I think this will be a major thing, most servers today are running below 30% utilization. This also have use on even home PCes, I can have one PC and running multiple OSes, like two copies of linux redhat and suse, one copy of Windows Xp and one copy of Windows 2003 server, with this, all I need is just one good PC (probabaly dual core), instead of 4 separate machines.

"I think this will be a major thing, most servers today are running below 30% utilization."

Where did get you that number?

Just a note: This isn't going to change the world - it may change virtualization in the workplace - i.e. back towards pushing dummy terminals but with more possibilities.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by WireNine
    I agree with David, this is not going to affect the webhosting industry at all.
    I know a lot of companies use VMware to increase server utilization, this is like VMware on hardware and probably more..

Even though wm2100 is Mr AMD and I don't like to agree with him due to the rabidness of his feelings for AMD, this DOES have the potential to be big in the corporate world.

I do work for large banks here in Canada and a few of them are looking at Virtualization for underutilized servers for labs and in production. Its an interesting concept. Also right now I can go buy virtuozzo and load up multiple vps right. So ... what if I bought these instead and had virtualization on chip? It has to be faster. Of course dont know how it does the file system and virtualizes nic/memory etc..

Ok wm2100 you amd freak... you win this round.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

If its running multiple OS's at once how will you switch between each OS?
    ••• Edrick Smith •••
    ••• Film Production •••

Originally posted by Sigmaservers
    Even though wm2100 is Mr AMD and I don't like to agree with him due to the rabidness of his feelings for AMD, this DOES have the potential to be big in the corporate world.

Come on, I am just that kind of guy who can't bear to see gullible people pay more for less. If I see someone selling a a chevy for the price of a BMW, I would come over and spoil the deal, even if the seller would hate me.... That's why I pointed out to a poster that he made a bad decision. 35K for a 32 bit 400MHZ FSB 4P Xeon machine.... I still can't believe that DELL can sell that junk for that much. I can buy a 8way opteron for half that amount...

Heh meant tongue in cheek.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

This is a good idea, no doubt... but still in its infancy... It'll take time to develop... Mainstream though? I doubt it... Even the companies that use VMware now usually use it for development.

Come on, I am just that kind of guy who can't bear to see gullible people pay more for less.
    You know, one could say the same thing about buying a dual opteron w. multiple gigs of RAM that serves no purpose... Other than possibly starting a webhost business because its 'easy money'. 0 customers on such a box can be done with a Sempron... and would've saved a whole bunch of cash.