Thread: Remote Desktop

Remote Desktop

Our appserver and crm servers are hosted by our CRM vendor.
    We used to be able to remote desktop through VPN tunnell to these machines, by the way are our dedicated servers. Recently, our hosting facility had a power surge that crashed the server harddrive, so we ended up getting a new machine.

Now, they do not want to provide us with a remote desktop facility. The only reason they have is that remote desktop is not a typical hosting offering. We have a lot of app & crm maintenance that we perform via remote desktop.

I need to know if my hosting provider is pulling a fast one on me or is RDC not really a practice for dedicated servers among hosting providers?

Help is appreciated.

Can I just checked these are dedicated servers running Windows or are they Linux?

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

All of our dedicated servers are running windows 2003 enterprise.
    Both of us (vendor and my firm) are on a windows network.

Remote Desktop is not a typical offering for virtual hosting BUT it is a near must for dedicated servers. I myself provide dedi servers, I cant imagine not providing this to client. It is a basic necessity I feel.

Are you paying for managed servers? if so - they might not want to provide you RDC only because of that. If it is unmanaged - it is a must

Let me be candid about the provider. They are not into hosting business. They keep pulling fast ones on us all the time.

Our SLA does'nt specifically mention about managed or unmanaged servers and it just speaks about uptime and server hardware replacements, etc. Since the beginning, we have been maintaining our app servers. So, I guess you can call this unmanaged.

You should be candid to your provider, just tell them, allow rdp or you move out. Personally I find that life maintaining a dedicated server is unimaginable without rdp.

Definitely - if you are maintaining your own server - you need RDP. Otherwise I really do not see how you can manage it fully without it - unless they want you to use RAdmin or something like that.

It does sound like it is time to find a new provider

I knew my provider was pulling fast one. Thanks to your input, I should be able to negotiate with them now.

Thanks for all your guidance.

Anytime - good luck with everything!