How you become OWNER of the IP address

Hello guys,

very soon i am going for a full cabinet colo, and i was wondering how I can be owner of the IP addresses, say if I get /24 (256 IPs)

A little help from experts here will be very much appreciated.

What do you mean by owner? You will have to get the IPs from the datacenter that you will be colocating in. They can reassign your IPs, either via Swip or via RWhois. They will still be the actual owners, but you will have your name/company name listed for that IP block.
    James Lumby

Perhaps you only mean to lease a /24 IP block from a datacenter and not "owning" it out right. If so, contact your favorite datacenter and inquire about leasing and having such a block swip'ed to you.

On the other hand, if you really want to "own" an IP block (ie: having it officially allocated to you) then check out this site by ARIN http://www.arin.net/registration/guidelines/index.html (assuming you are in North America)

Other regions have their own organization and rules to deal with such allocation. See http://www.iana.org/ipaddress/ip-addresses.htm and choose the link for your region.
    .: Signature not required nor available at present time :.

Yeah I think he means ARIN -

ARIN is taking a very very very very LONG TIME.

In your case, since it is only a cab and if you're not going for a BGP, then getting IPs from Peer 1 and SWIP'ing it should be enough.
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

If you only need /24, better to get it from your provider and ask your provider to SWIP the IP to you. Trying to get /24 from ARIN will be too much (cost and time involved).
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Originally posted by The Broadband Man

ARIN is taking a very very very very LONG TIME.
    I hear your pain. Oddly, however, I recently just got a /20 from ARIN approved in only 6 days.
    Garry Dolley @ ARP Networks | gdolley _at_ arpnetworks . com | #arpnetworks on Freenode | @arpnetworks, @bsdvps
    State of the art services, strong community and friendly support
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux VPS ARP Metal™ Dedicated Servers Colocation IP Transit
    Native IPv6 VNC Console Tunnel VNC over SSH Serial Console over SSH DNS Manager

Originally posted by garrycc
    I hear your pain. Oddly, however, I recently just got a /20 from ARIN approved in only 6 days.
    If you have everything in order, it really doesn't take that long to get your allocation approved and assigned.
    James Lumby

for a single class C, if we need our own noc contact, abuse contact in whois, can the datacenter change for us?

I don't think so all the datacenters will do. Some of the datacenters they do. You have to contact them and ask for it.
    WebHostingChat Where you Discuss & Chat about webhosting.
    DatacenterTalk DataCenterTalk.com (DCT) is a leading resources site for the Data Center community.

Wouldn't you get your IP from provider and not your DC ?

Allocations longer than /22 are difficult to obtain and are not guaranteed to be globally routable.

Let's say ARIN approves a request for a /24 (unlikely). Wouldn't you be pretty upset if parts of the internet could not see you?

With that said, you need to contact your ISP and not ARIN. Even if you go through ARIN you do not "own" the IP's as they can be revoked at any time, for any reason.

I think the ownership of the IP is ICANN or ARIN. You can only get an allocation assigned to you.

And they're correct, for a /24, just use a provider space.

Maybe this is a European customer?
    If so RIPE is who you would deal with. If your colocation provider is a Full RIPE LIR Member then they 'should' be swiping the IP block to your company. We recently got a /18 from RIPE approved in less than 2 weeks, its down to having everything in order before you submit your application.
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

Just a random question,

there is ICANN, RIPE, ARIN ... what are the other cool organizations with the funny anagrams

Since you want such a small space, it is best to get it from the DC... The DC *should* SWIP a /24 for you, which means you get contact information(abuse, and tech, etc) in the rwhois and you "get control"(ie. Your nameservers do reverse dns) of the IPs
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Originally posted by Sheps
    Since you want such a small space, it is best to get it from the DC... The DC *should* SWIP a /24 for you, which means you get contact information(abuse, and tech, etc) in the rwhois and you "get control"(ie. Your nameservers do reverse dns) of the IPs
    As to the RDNS part of that, it depends on if they do a simple or detailed reassignment, of course, they can delegate the rnds from their nameservers too, but just because they swip it to you, doesn't necesarily mean that you get RDNS control.
    James Lumby