subdomains + ssl (NOT A HOWTO QUESTION)

Greetings:

I work for a software company. Because of NDAs, etc, each of our customers has a different sub domain on our web server we use for support tracking (bbs-only).

ie.

cust1.domain.com
    cust2.domain.com
    cust3.domain.com

because we often work for competing companies (think coke and pepsi) , we chose that approach rather then having one TLD (support.domain.com)----

in other words, each customer, has their own instance of a bbs, each with it's own security. that way we're always 100% guaranteed to be separate.

Now, we are migrating all this to be SSL'd only.

Currently, that means, we need 1 ip + 1 cert for each subdoain.

To The Question
    I'm looking for suggestions on how to do this better, even if it's changing our tld + subdomain structure.

AFAIK, the host (dathorn) doesn't support multiple subs on 1 cert.

Thanks for any help:
    Chris

There should be no problem with this.
    You just need to place each subdomain on a different IP address, and you'll be able to install the SSL fine.
    Or, how about you get an SSL that is *.domain.com? That will cover everything.
    If dathorn can't do it, consider getting a dedicated or a new host.
    Andrew Thomas

You'd be far better installing a wildcard SSL, then you won't actually need 1 IP per sub domain, and it'll save you money past about 6-8 clients.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

I'd recommend single cert as well. You're just covering the transport layer during the transfer of data. Since you're controlling the cert it doesn't seem like you need to have a unique one for each client.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by DevilDog
    I'd recommend single cert as well. You're just covering the transport layer during the transfer of data. Since you're controlling the cert it doesn't seem like you need to have a unique one for each client.
    Using 1 cert for multiple subdomains would mean any visitors would be shown a ugly security warning, I would seriously advise against using that method. The only way 1 cert would work is either with a wildcard cert or a generic domain name for everyone to access through.

Not trying to be redundant here - but wildcard would certainly be the way to go in any case - possibly even just for easier management.

Understand that its going to be a minimum of 500 USD per year though but depending on your client's that may not be a problem or issue.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I'm sorry Wullie but I meant a wildcard cert.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site