View Poll Results: What is best for your eyes?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • An 18" LCD Monitor.

2 8.00%
  • An 23" LCD Monitor.

13 52.00%
  • There is no difference between the size.

4 16.00%
  • I Dont know.

6 24.00%

Which would be better for your eyes? An 18" or 23" LCD Monitor?

Hi,

I am on the computer alot and am currently getting saw eyes. I am thinking of buying a bigger monitor because I would assume that it would be better for my eyes. But I do not know for sure.

Does anyone know what the best type of monitor is for your eyes and the recommended size and resolution.
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

I read somewhere that the bigger the screen the less strain it puts on your eyes. So 23" will be the best but it will be pricey.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

I guess it would also depend on resolution. If you set the resolution too high then this wouldnt help. The chances are that you would set the resolution even higher on the 23" because it can go higher... so just make sure you dont struggle to read the text or have to move your head towards the monitor. If you find you are having to lean forwards to read things then lower the resolution and you should be good I always try find a high refresh rate too as high resolutions and low refresh rates hurt my eyes.
    -- Matthew

It's funny how the poll is pretty evenly split between those who know the correct answer (Atleast to how the question is layed out) and those who are choosing the seemingly logical but actually incorrect answer.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

I have a 22" LCD and I run 1600x1200 screen res. I fit 4 / 800x600 windows on the screen at once. The writing is easy on my eyes, but I do have very good eyesight. I seem to remember there being some adjustment going over to the LCD screen, even with 'clear type' selected.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Far more important than the size of the monitor is it's quality, resolution and the way your room is set up. If you've got a window near your workstation, glare (either reflected or direct) is going to cause you problems. If the monitor is too close, your eyes will fatigue, if it's too far (or the resolution is too high) you'll be straining and fatigue as well. Brightness as well; 90% of monitors I see around at people's workplaces and homes are set to 100% brightness. Why on earth does everyone do this? It looks horrible, and is way too bright and hurts the eyes. Make sure your monitor is calibrated properly.

Also, for me at least, the biggest problem is staring at a single focal plane for long periods of time. If I don't get out enough over a couple days, my eyes will get so bad that it's a strain (and slow) to refocus my eyes. It's recommended that you take a typing break every 15-30 minutes anyway, and if you get up and walk around, it'll give your eyes a chance to exercise their muscles . When I can do it, I really notice a big difference in both my eyes and hands.

Great post Error404.

Very helpful! I might just adjust my brightness now.
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

an 18" LCD is a 17" LCD stretched. I'd go w/ the 23".

If you are getting raw eyes while using the computer, first -- make sure your environment is setup correctly:

1. Do not have a light source directly behind the monitor, or directly behind you. If you have it directly behind the monitor, you will constantly be squinting -- and if its behind you, you'll be struggling with shadows.

2. The best light is white light, not yellow as with most bulbs. If you want to lighten up your computer area, put the light above the screen so it shines down in an inverted V.

3. Make sure you position the monitor is such as way that you aren't leaning or stretching your neck to view it.

4. If you have to move in closer to your monitor to pick out details in text-- your resolution is too high.

5. Get decent gamma calibration software for your monitor and calibrate the brightness/contrast settings. 100% brightness and contrast are very bad for your eyes.

6. Avoid glare (expecially on CRT monitors). Get anti-glare screen, or if you wear glasses -- get anti-glare coating/anti-reflective coating on them. Nikon makes some excellent lenses.

7. Do not place magnetic objects (non-shielded) next to your CRT. They add very fine distortions to the image, which are very stressful to your eyes.

8. Take breaks from the computer. Every 45 minutes just look away, stretch your legs, etc.

9. REMEBER TO BLINK! A lot of people are constantly staring at the screen and forget to blink. I also like to keep "ClearEyes" or similar products on hand in case my eyes get dry.

Now -- if after doing all that you still feel that you need to purchase new (bigger) LCD :

1. Make sure that the update delay is low -- this will prevent "ghosting" of images on the LCD.

2. Most LCDs have a fixed optimum resolution -- do not go above this (it usually leads to distortion). Most 19" are 1280x1024.

Ask you medical professional for more information if your eyes are constantly dry or scratchy. I'm not a medical professional and the above are from my own experience. Do not take any medication without consulting a medical professional
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

I would get the larger one, but only if it had a really high resolution.

If you have a big monitor, with a low resolution, it makes it harder for your eyes and strains them beause they have to saccade quite a bit to take it all in.

Whereas with a larger monitor and high res (like a 23" and 1900x1600 res) your eyes don't have to mave as much to focus which reduces strain.

I know from experience cause i got a 19" LCD with a maximum resolution of 1280x1024.

My eyes have sort of adjusted to it, but i prefer looking at my powerbook cause of the resolution vs screen size.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrestrtr
    1. Do not have a light source directly behind the monitor, or directly behind you. If you have it directly behind the monitor, you will constantly be squinting -- and if its behind you, you'll be struggling with shadows.
    I always thought that a light source behind the computer was good because it reduces the glare from the monitor. For an example if I watch tv with the lights off it hurts my eyes much more that if I have the lights on.

I must admit though the eye drops help me alot. I too also have some on my desk.

Good advice here already. I have a Dell 23" LCD TV which also doubles as an awesome computer monitor. Something to consider.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

It all depends on how far you sit from the monitor.

Originally posted by error404
    Also, for me at least, the biggest problem is staring at a single focal plane for long periods of time.
    It's not just you, scientific studies have shown that staring at a single point for long periods of time can cause extreme eye fatigue which can actually lead to vision damage. It's such an issue that my Sony Glastron's (head mounted LCD TV) has warnings everytime I turn them on about such issue.

The method I have found best to overcome the issue? Have multiple monitors with non of them being your "primary monitor" in practice. Then your eys and head are constantly moving about depending on what your working on.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

Your comfort could also depend on whether your eyes are properly corrected for a normal computer working distance. For me it's easy, because I have uncomplicated presbyopia, and so for the computer I just take off my glasses. With my glasses on the monitor is too close for the top of my bifocal (which has a negative diopter), and I'd have to get uncomfortably close with the bottom of the bifocal (positive diopter).
    The moral of the story is that if you need corrective lenses you should get a pair of computer glasses optimized for computer working distance.

Another possible cause of sore eyes is dry eyes. Artificial tears can help that. I would avoid the eyedrops that contain vasoconstrictors.